Octy VRS buying tips

2 hours ago, Maggle said:

So how do you explain the fact that my 230 facelift has one then?

Could it be a non UK spec car???? Just wondering now

Sounds like we're look for conspiracy where there isn't one :)

It will have been an option on the FL 230.

So if this was a previously owned car, original purchaser specified it. If it was a pre-registered car, whoever ordered it took that option.

If you ordered it from new, then it sounds like it was a cancelled order that happened to have it as a feature and it just remained and you lucked out.

3 minutes ago, Stoofa said:

Sounds like we're look for conspiracy where there isn't one :)

It will have been an option on the FL 230.

So if this was a previously owned car, original purchaser specified it. If it was a pre-registered car, whoever ordered it took that option.

If you ordered it from new, then it sounds like it was a cancelled order that happened to have it as a feature and it just remained and you lucked out.

Ha, you say that but many years ago a friend of mine bought a VRS from a dealer in Wales only to find out much later (when trying to claim under warranty) that it was in fact a non UK Spec car, imported from the continent. He wasn't best pleased when Skoda UK said they wouldn't honour the warranty.

1 hour ago, Maggle said:

Ha, you say that but many years ago a friend of mine bought a VRS from a dealer in Wales only to find out much later (when trying to claim under warranty) that it was in fact a non UK Spec car, imported from the continent. He wasn't best pleased when Skoda UK said they wouldn't honour the warranty.

Ouch, I can imagine!

3 hours ago, Stokesy said:

So to sum up, the chances of me finding a used 230 FL with the Vaq diff is probably less than winning the euro on friday night :D

You could always buy mine :biggrin:

On 04/11/2020 at 21:51, Maggle said:

No? Mine does!!!!

No face lift 230's have the VAQ diff. Yours (like mine) will have the electric XDS system, which mimics a diff very crudely with use of brakes. It's not the proper E diff unfortunately.

3 hours ago, DC04R said:

No face lift 230's have the VAQ diff. Yours (like mine) will have the electric XDS system, which mimics a diff very crudely with use of brakes. It's not the proper E diff unfortunately.

Do you get the diff lock adjustment option in the drive mode select with the XDS system? 

11 hours ago, Swirly182 said:

Do you get the diff lock adjustment option in the drive mode select with the XDS system? 

Not that I'm aware of. You can do some adjustments in VCDS but think it's a case of on or off. I'd prefer it to be off to be honest, it's turd.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DC04R said:

Not that I'm aware of. You can do some adjustments in VCDS but think it's a case of on or off. I'd prefer it to be off to be honest, it's turd.

So if you see this in the drive mode selection screen it would indicate the presence of a VAQ?

IMG_20201105_103630.jpg

The most reliable way to check for a VAQ is with VCDS or similar, check if address 32 (Differential Locks) is present :)

Otherwise, you can check the original build data for PR-1Y2 which I think is the front diff lock.

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

The most reliable way to check for a VAQ is with VCDS or similar, check if address 32 (Differential Locks) is present :)

Otherwise, you can check the original build data for PR-1Y2 which I think is the front diff lock.

I have OBDEleven but not VCDS, can I still check. How else can I check otherwise....I was led to believe when I purchased that mine had the e-diff

4 minutes ago, Maggle said:

I have OBDEleven but not VCDS, can I still check. How else can I check otherwise....I was led to believe when I purchased that mine had the e-diff

I've never used OBDeleven but I believe you can select control modules?

If so, I think you're looking for "Lock Electronics", at least based on these screenshots I found:

image.thumb.png.c336ae0f6e6a7ac3b78fc9dadce30027.png

3 minutes ago, langers2k said:

I've never used OBDeleven but I believe you can select control modules?

If so, I think you're looking for "Lock Electronics", at least based on these screenshots I found:

image.thumb.png.c336ae0f6e6a7ac3b78fc9dadce30027.png

Hmmmmm, I definitely do not have a module "32" .... the plot thickens

3 minutes ago, Swirly182 said:

Can you set eyes on anything under the bonnet that would indicate the presence of the VAQ? 

Based on this service video, probably not from the top:

On 07/11/2020 at 17:39, Maggle said:

Hmmmmm, I definitely do not have a module "32" .... the plot thickens

ODIS or VCDS would show it as address/module 32.

The above video confirms OBDeleven shows it as 'lock electronics' so if that's missing, your car doesn't have a VAQ diff :(

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

Based on this service video, probably not from the top:

ODIS or VCDS would show it as address/module 32.

The above video confirms OBDeleven shows it as 'lock electronics' so if that's missing, your car doesn't have a VAQ diff :(

Oh dear! @Maggleyou could still get your spanners out to make sure? :blush

2 hours ago, Swirly182 said:

Oh dear! @Maggleyou could still get your spanners out to make sure? :blush

Well, as soon as I have time I shall be jacking my car up and crawling underneath to check for sure but based on this evidence it would appear that my car does not have the VAQ after all. Feel cheated now!

• Sad 1

On 07/11/2020 at 11:19, Maggle said:

So if you see this in the drive mode selection screen it would indicate the presence of a VAQ?

IMG_20201105_103630.jpg

Oh right, pass! That does suggest it has an e diff. Never ever heard of a fl 230 having one

14 minutes ago, DC04R said:

Oh right, pass! That does suggest it has an e diff. Never ever heard of a fl 230 having one

If you read Maggle's other posts, it appears they haven't got an VAQ/e-diff as there is nothing showing on the CAN-bus at that address.

I can only imagine the menu item is changing the EDL via the ABS pump ;)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, langers2k said:

If you read Maggle's other posts, it appears they haven't got an VAQ/e-diff as there is nothing showing on the CAN-bus at that address.

I can only imagine the menu item is changing the EDL via the ABS pump ;)

Ah yes.