Anyone making a new claim for the VW Emissions / Dieselgate?

https://www.facebook.com/cleanairclaims/

So on Facebook recently, I saw an ad from them in my feed, along with another one in Manchester I think saying that people are still eligible to put claim in due to some limit of statutes or something. I just want to point out that I'm not a lawyer and am not promoting this specific company, but I have been in contact with them, they say I'm eligible. 

And I was just wondering is anyone else on the forum making a new claim for compensation from VW, either from this company or others. I don't think anyone has gotten any money so far right??

Also this might be a bit off topic, but once you put a claim in, does VW ban you from buying any of their cars or from being able to using financing options? ie should I expect a vindictive response? I'm not sure because I've not sued anyone before and i can't say I'd never buy a car from the VW group again.

VW would be ripped a new one by courts if they tried to take actions as you talk about in the last paragraph.

@newskodadriver

Did you own a VW Group TDI before the last quarter 2015 or 2016 that would allow you to join a Class action'?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/481865-vw-compensation-claim-diesel-gate

Edited by e-Roottoot

21 hours ago, skomaz said:

What are you claiming for?  ie what financial damages have you incurred that require recompense?

the advert said I was entitled to something at no cost to myself. I don't know how much. It will be up to the lawyers to determine that? 

On 05/11/2020 at 08:44, e-Roottoot said:

VW would be ripped a new one by courts if they tried to take actions as you talk about in the last paragraph.

@newskodadriver

Did you own a VW Group TDI before the last quarter 2015 or 2016 that would allow you to join a Class action'?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/481865-vw-compensation-claim-diesel-gate

I bought a used diesel Skoda in August 2016 that was manufactured in 2012. 

Edited by newskodadriver
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, newskodadriver said:

the advert said I was entitled to something at no cost to myself. I don't know how much. It will be up to the lawyers to determine that? 

Don't believe everything they say...   I've heard that those who have joined these schemes have found that once the lawyers have taken their cut of the fees there could be bugger all left as a payout.  Also, should the class action prove unsuccessful and the lawyers therefore not have their fees paid by VW (or the settlement be insufficient to cover legal fees) then those who signed up will find themselves liable instead.

Personally I think the whole thing is rather like Ambulance Chasing for the legal teams involved and is simply being done as a money making scheme to create 'fees' -  so wouldn't go near it with a bargepole...

Also, it seems you are of a similar nature given you haven't identified any financial loss you have incurred personally that requires recompense...

• Like 3

14 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

Just as I thought from your posts. So you knew before buying the car about the Defeat device scandal.  Maybe you even got a bargain buying the car if really the value of cars traded in or sold had dropped in the months since September 2015.

Back then I don't recall. Even if i did it would have reading something about the US, as they have different standards, especially California. It certainly wasn't highlighted to me that this car had a "defeat device". It was a couple of years after I bought it that I was notified of a "fix". I don't know whether I got a bargain or not. So yes, there's a lot of I don't know or I don't recall in my case and I have refused for the fix to be applied because I thought it would both lessen the component lifespan and my "driving enjoyment", but I thought that was the job of someone else to tell me?

• Groan 1

13 hours ago, skomaz said:

Don't believe everything they say...   I've heard that those who have joined these schemes have found that once the lawyers have taken their cut of the fees there could be bugger all left as a payout.  Also, should the class action prove unsuccessful and the lawyers therefore not have their fees paid by VW (or the settlement be insufficient to cover legal fees) then those who signed up will find themselves liable instead.

Personally I think the whole thing is rather like Ambulance Chasing for the legal teams involved and is simply being done as a money making scheme to create 'fees' -  so wouldn't go near it with a bargepole...

Also, it seems you are of a similar nature given you haven't identified any financial loss you have incurred personally that requires recompense...

isn't a "no win no fee" agreement designed so that people don't pay costs if they lose? have you never used one before? I mean, I haven't personally, which is part of the reason why I made this thread, as I have never sued for compensation / personal injury etc like that where they'll all advertised as no win no fee.

I thought all jobs are a "money making scheme" as they are rewarded financially? As to how much financial loss, or otherwise that i have suffered, I honestly couldn't tell you, but I thought someone else is supposed to tell me?

I have however been on the end of "ambulance chasing" laywers before, not personally, but through accident / car insurance. Although I disagreed that the people who crashed into me suffered any personal injury at all (everyone except the driver immediately went to the town to continue their night out), the insurance company didn't bother to investigate or contest, so I came away from that experience realising how effective "ambulance chasing" can be. 

Edited by newskodadriver

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/379540-vw-emissions-scandal-thread-v2

September 2015. Updated October 2015.

If anyone buying a VW Group TDI in 2016 did not know about the Emissions Scandal they maybe do not read newspapers, listen to the TV or Radio or read forum posts.

If they bought a diesel used car after September 2015 especially to use as a taxi it really seems odd that they were unaware of the scandal that was such big news.

The Youtube vid is from September 2015.

Screenshot 2020-11-07 at 07.33.54.jpg

MauMauM.jpg.a730f8af9f11981f15b1387419a3b965.jpg.3d0cd25182f29ac829db4d9064ddc2cf.jpg.b48c235da846b38b8a9950cfdc7639b2.jpg

Edited by e-Roottoot

22 hours ago, skomaz said:

A marriage made in heaven!

3 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/379540-vw-emissions-scandal-thread-v2

September 2015. Updated October 2015.

If anyone buying a VW Group TDI in 2016 did not know about the Emissions Scandal they maybe do not read newspapers, listen to the TV or Radio or read forum posts.

If they bought a diesel used car after September 2015 especially to use as a taxi it really seems odd that they were unaware of the scandal that was such big news.

The Youtube vid is from September 2015.

Screenshot 2020-11-07 at 07.33.54.jpg

MauMauM.jpg.a730f8af9f11981f15b1387419a3b965.jpg.3d0cd25182f29ac829db4d9064ddc2cf.jpg.b48c235da846b38b8a9950cfdc7639b2.jpg

oh. well I must have missed / taken no notice because in 2015 I was doing something else and only became a taxi driver in 2016 which is when I bought the car. 

so how does group litigation and compensation work then if people are "differently affected" within the same class action lawsuit?  Their systems said I was "eligible" for compensation, but this weekend I've got to answer some more questions in details, like if it's still in my possession or if I've had the fix done etc. and that I bought the car used in 2016 as opposed to the first owner who bought new in 2012?

In fact, the reason why I didn't join the first set of class action lawsuits in the UK was because I asked one of the FB adverts last year or the year before and they said I wasn't eligible, so I didn't bother trying any others. But this company said I am and seems to be offering a hand up the bandwagon? Like I said, I'm new to the whole suing people for money kind of thing.

1 minute ago, e-Roottoot said:

@newskodadriver

So no losses financially to you and the car runs well and economically.   Sounds all good.

Are you against this because you think I shouldn't get any money, or that I wouldn't get any, or for some other reason the no win no fee lawyers should not be trusted to act in my best financial interest? They are quite separate issues and I'm far more interested in #2 and #3.

• Groan 1

I think there are too many that try to get on the gravy train while there are actually people that bought vehicles and have lost financially because of VW, 

that was with faults that were because of the components and before the scandal broke, and then that had cars that had the fix and failed but were not covered by the VW Peace of mind 24 month guarantee.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

If you haven't suffered any financial loss then you aren't entitled to any compensation for the loss that you haven't had - to claim otherwise could be taken as fraud.

When have any lawyers been trustworthy?

Even if I have not suffered any financial loss or spent more than I should have otherwise, which I am not sure, I don't think that compensation is based on financial loss alone? I think I read that in another thread, awards are regularly given for hurt feelings and punitive damages? 

And you're right, lawyers are not always trustworthy, which is why I made this thread. Evidently no one here has heard about them or used them before to give any feedback. 

Edited by newskodadriver
  • Groan 1

9 minutes ago, newskodadriver said:

Even if I have not suffered any financial loss or spent more than I should have otherwise, which I am not sure, I don't think that compensation is based on financial loss alone? I think I read that in another thread, awards are regularly given for hurt feelings and punitive damages? 

Oh FFS...   That attitude is one of the things that is wrong with the world these days.

Once again WHY do you personally deserve compensation?  You've already said you've experienced no impact at all, nor are you aware of any suffering you've experienced as a result of the issue.

You are therefore simply 'trying it on' to get whatever financial gain you can with no good reason.

Sorry but that is how it comes across and I'm not a fan of such behaviour - it stinks.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Oh FFS...   That attitude is one of the things that is wrong with the world these days.

Once again WHY do you personally deserve compensation?  You've already said you've experienced no impact at all, nor are you aware of any suffering you've experienced as a result of the issue.

You are therefore simply 'trying it on' to get whatever financial gain you can with no good reason.

Sorry but that is how it comes across and I'm not a fan of such behaviour - it stinks.

But I could be unaware until lawyers point it out to me? Like you could be unaware that you're ill until a doctor tells you. 

• Groan 1

2 minutes ago, newskodadriver said:

not a lot of actual feedback on no win no fee claims in general or experiences with any law firms that have pursued VW over this.. 

Maybe that's because nobody here has any feedback?

... because we don't agree with the concept of "ambulance chasing"?

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3