Headlights - A lesson learned!

Asketi

Hi All

I am not new to car maintenance and do a basic set of checks each weekend.

My Fabia had big miles and I still do a lot of driving, so like to do a weekly check at the weekend.  

Last weekend, I checked the headlights and - nothing.  All other lights worked but the headlights were both dead - they had been fine a couple of days previously.  I was short of time to diagnose, so left it and asked my excellent independent garage to have a look as part of the MOT.  I’m pretty handy with repairs and maintenance but very busy at work so let them handle it.  

Lo and behold...it wasn’t something complex but was simply bulbs - which must have blown pretty much at the same time....  

I was expecting a more complex problem - the garage said that it is not unheard of for bulbs to go at the same time and kindly gave me a cheap set of spares for the glovebox.  

So it could be co incidence or maybe some sort of surge? Who knows...lesson learned, check the basics first!

Happens a lot! One bulb blows, and a resultant surge (for a split second) Pops the other bulb!

Happens with my DRL's every now and then, has happened with my H7 headlights too!! (according to a mechanic friend f mine)

I now drive round with a set of Lucas Spare bulbs under the floor in the boot (both the H7's and the DRL's)

• Like 1

Just to chip in and say this happened on my MK1 Fabia VRS - Both headlight bulbs blew at the same time. At the time it seemed very strange, but seems like I'm not the only one it has happened to.

This is a common issue. Most men believe that if 1 bulb failed that they could tell from the driver's seat, however this ISN'T the case. Just look at the number of people driving around with only one headlight working, Are they all too mean or too lazy to change the bulb? One bulb fails and eventually the other goes and people often believe that both bulbs failed together. After 50 odd years as a mechanic/MOT tester I've encountered this many times. If I explain this to a woman she will accept it, a man will argue vehemently that he could tell if he only had one headlight working and the I don't know what I'm talking about even though he's just brought the car to me because he can't work out why his headlights won't come on and thinks he needs a new switch/fuse/wiring etc.

• Like 3