Boot latch not working

Hi everyone I'm new here so bear with me 

I've just purchased a 2017 plate Octavia vrs and all is amazing other than 

I can't open the boot from the latch 

But the key remote works fine 

Is there an easy fix to this or do I need to go back to the garage I purchased the car from 

Thanks in advance for your replys 

Yup - I can help you there.....your boot latch has failed.

Its a common Octavia/Golf problem.  The switch seems to either get water into it or it just fails.  The latch is a fairly easy to replace.

I actually have a spare one sitting here on my desk.....I will PM you and we can exchange details and I'll get you the switch to you.

Thanks

Max

• 1 year later...
On 22/11/2020 at 12:35, Vrs280 said:

Hi everyone I'm new here so bear with me 

I've just purchased a 2017 plate Octavia vrs and all is amazing other than 

I can't open the boot from the latch 

But the key remote works fine 

Is there an easy fix to this or do I need to go back to the garage I purchased the car from 

Thanks in advance for your replys 

Hi Max. My Octavia has the same problem. Do you have any useful links or could you post me a picture of the part I need? Thanks. Peter

• 1 year later...
On 15/01/2022 at 12:24, Giah said:

Hi Max. My Octavia has the same problem. Do you have any useful links or could you post me a picture of the part I need? Thanks. Peter

I also have the same problem.

Were you able to find the right part and fit it?

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, tdog said:

Does anyone know the part number or have a link to a part?

If you have the same issues as in - your car boot will open from the interior button or from the key fob.

but the external button on your boot lid does nothing then the external button has failed.

I can have one shipped out to you Tuesday morning if you drop me a private message with a photo of your boot handle/button so I know which shape you have.

• 1 month later...
On 17/09/2023 at 20:56, ApertureS said:

If you have the same issues as in - your car boot will open from the interior button or from the key fob.

but the external button on your boot lid does nothing then the external button has failed.

I can have one shipped out to you Tuesday morning if you drop me a private message with a photo of your boot handle/button so I know which shape you have.

@ApertureS I have a 2017 Skoda Octavia with exactly that issue i.e. I can only open the boot with the key fob but the button isn't working. Are you saying the problem is the button or the actual latch? Do you still have parts available?

2 hours ago, sebaspc said:

@ApertureS I have a 2017 Skoda Octavia with exactly that issue i.e. I can only open the boot with the key fob but the button isn't working. Are you saying the problem is the button or the actual latch? Do you still have parts available?

Actually I found another post where you clarify it is the handle. I will private message to check if you still have parts :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Today i had a recurrence of a problem where i could not open the boot on my Octavia III TSI SE 66 plate (hatch)... and I could not see how to open it manually. The switch on the boot does nothing; all other doors unlock/lock as normal. I can't see how to open it any other way (manual in car was no help). 

On arriving at my destination, the boot latch did work again... but having now got home again, it wont.

Sounds like it might be the switch, but I'm unsure where it is, or how to replace if I can't open the boot.

Any help gratefully received.

Jonathan

14 hours ago, OctaviaJon said:

Hi everyone. Today i had a recurrence of a problem where i could not open the boot on my Octavia III TSI SE 66 plate (hatch)... and I could not see how to open it manually. The switch on the boot does nothing; all other doors unlock/lock as normal. I can't see how to open it any other way (manual in car was no help). 

On arriving at my destination, the boot latch did work again... but having now got home again, it wont.

Sounds like it might be the switch, but I'm unsure where it is, or how to replace if I can't open the boot.

Any help gratefully received.

Jonathan

Does the boot open from the key fob all the time and it’s just the actual boot handle that’s playing up?

if it does, the boot handle/switch is faulty, I’m selling them if you’re interested, pm me.

22 minutes ago, OctaviaJon said:

The key fob just unlocks the boot, it doesn't open it. Only the switch opens the latch.

Should the key fob do that too then?

The key fob should 'pop' the boot too yes, both should do the same thing.

What do you mean the key fob unlocks the boot but not open it?

50 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

The key fob should 'pop' the boot too yes, both should do the same thing.

What do you mean the key fob unlocks the boot but not open it?

On mine it only unlocks the boot, it doesn't "pop",  I have to physically open it with the handle.

3 minutes ago, ords said:

On mine it only unlocks the boot, it doesn't "pop",  I have to physically open it with the handle.

Im a bit confused by your wording i think thats where we are getting confused.

You mean to open the boot you press the fob boot button, then press the boot handle/button to open the boot?
What happens if you just press the fob button and pull the boot open without the boot handle button?

What happens if you just use the boot handle button when the car is locked or unlocked?

Unless you have the electric tailgate optional extra the tailgate wont open and raise itself, it will just release the latch.

Hi again. On the fob. All the boot button seems to do is unlock the boot only. Tbh, I've never really used it. But I went and checked earlier. To open the boot, I have to operate the switch by the numberplate lights and this operates the release inside. I don't have the electric remote release that I know was an option on some of these and the superb ... 

P.s. having left the car for an hour or so, I've come back to it and the switch isn't working ... so I suspect it's this that's failed 

To be clear... When it works, if I use the hob button, the boot won't lift, but it unlocks the boot such that the switch on the boot then can be used to open the boot ... whilst other doors are still locked 

Edited by OctaviaJon
Added last bit

Ok. So, we learn something new every day. I had to look at the user manual carefully and had no idea that by pushing and holding the boot switch on the fob, it'd release it. Ok. So, yes, it does that ok. 

Good to know. 

Looks like I just need a new switch then

17 minutes ago, OctaviaJon said:

Ok. So, we learn something new every day. I had to look at the user manual carefully and had no idea that by pushing and holding the boot switch on the fob, it'd release it. Ok. So, yes, it does that ok. 

Good to know. 

Yeah this is what i was trying to (albeit it very poorly) explain!

@ords hopefully this explains what im getting at a bit better for you :) 

1 hour ago, OctaviaJon said:

Good to know. 

With the car locked the boot switch will unlock the boot only. Take care not to leave the key in the car as the boot will lock as soon as you close it, although I think the delay time can be extended with coding.

Edited by ords

2 hours ago, ApertureS said:

Im a bit confused by your wording i think thats where we are getting confused.

You mean to open the boot you press the fob boot button, then press the boot handle/button to open the boot?
What happens if you just press the fob button and pull the boot open without the boot handle button?

What happens if you just use the boot handle button when the car is locked or unlocked?

Unless you have the electric tailgate optional extra the tailgate wont open and raise itself, it will just release the latch.

Yes.

I haven't tried lifting the lid without pressing the button as it just comes to hand naturally to press the button and raise the lid. I will try it and see what happens.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ords said:

Yes.

I haven't tried lifting the lid without pressing the button as it just comes to hand naturally to press the button and raise the lid. I will try it and see what happens.

Also hold the boot button on the fob, it should pop the boot :) Check it all works as should. Then we can confirm its the boot handle switch.

1 hour ago, ApertureS said:

Also hold the boot button on the fob, it should pop the boot :) Check it all works as should. Then we can confirm its the boot handle switch.

Ok. All this time i've just pressed the button and released it it at once.