Tiers, Lockdowns & Vaccinations

cheezemonkhai

1 minute ago, gadgetman said:

Emergency services workers are told not to use the app during shifts for obvious reasons, but this at DWP had no reasoning 

Yeah it did. If they aren't alerted they can't get off work ;) 

1 hour ago, gadgetman said:

Given he's done less 'bird' than NHS says you MUST, I call shenanigans

Looks like Sir Keir  Starmer is also 'doing less bird' than the NHS says you MUST ;)

“This morning I was notified that I must self-isolate after coming into contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid-19,” Starmer said in a tweet. “I have no symptoms and will be working from home until next Monday.”

Looks very dodgy :thinking:

While the self-isolation period for such contacts is 10 days, it begins from the moment of the contact, meaning he would have encountered them at the end of last week. Starmer did not say how he was informed, or who the person was.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/25/keir-starmer-self-isolating-contact-covid

Edited by moley
link was omitted

5 minutes ago, moley said:

Looks like Sir Keir  Starmer is also 'doing less bird' than the NHS says you MUST ;)

Looks very dodgy :thinking:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/25/keir-starmer-self-isolating-contact-covid

1 minute ago, gadgetman said:

Seems to be a trend. 

Be interested to know how they manage it 

From the article:

While the self-isolation period for such contacts is 10 days, it begins from the moment of the contact, meaning he would have encountered them at the end of last week. Starmer did not say how he was informed, or who the person was.

So, come into contact with A then you're in contact with X number of people before being alerted on date Y? Is that the gist of it? That doesn't sound good. 

1 minute ago, Lee01 said:

From the article:

So, come into contact with A then you're in contact with X number of people before being alerted on date Y? Is that the gist of it? That doesn't sound good. 

Unfortunately that is the way it works. As an example last Wednesday you could been in contact with someone at work, 2 metres apart both with masks On Friday the contact feels unwell. On Saturday they take a test. On Sunday the result comes back positive. You will then get a ping from the trace app. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

NHS T&T says from point of notification, not contact 🤔

Not according to the NHS

Your self-isolation period includes the day you were last in contact with the person who tested positive and the next 10 full days.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing-and-tracing/nhs-test-and-trace-if-youve-been-in-contact-with-a-person-who-has-coronavirus/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, moley said:

Unfortunately that is the way it works. As an example last Wednesday you could been in contact with someone at work, 2 metres apart both with masks On Friday the contact feels unwell. On Saturday they take a test. On Sunday the result comes back positive. You will then get a ping from the trace app. 

Isn't that all assuming the +ve person has the app installed and running as well?

6 hours ago, Lee01 said:

Isn't that all assuming the +ve person has the app installed and running as well?

Which is why everyone should have installed the app. I think the app works OK as I know quite a few people who have been notified that they have been in contact with a positive person.

• Like 1

Looks like the EU are going to control exports of the vaccine out of the EU as both Pfizer and Astra Zeneca are quoting reduced production supplies. 

The EU has warned it will tighten rules on exports of Covid vaccines, amid a row with AstraZeneca over a cut in planned supplies to the 27-member bloc.

The AstraZeneca vaccine has not yet been approved by the EU's drug regulator, the European Medicines Agency (EMA), but is expected to get the green light at the end of this month.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55805903

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

I'm sure we would do exactly the same 😉

Not sure we would be allowed to. :notme:

Yet UK supplies of the AZ vaccine seem to be unaffected so far. Funny that. Maybe the UK wants to lead the world in numbers of people vaccinated and ignore the 100,000 figure of people who've sadly died. The EU is set to approve the AZ vaccine this week sometime and it's not unusual to order before approval. That's what the UK did with the Pfizer BioNTech vaccine.
I said early on that vaccine nationalism isn't healthy and here we are. 

Edited by Lee01
  • Groan 1

1 hour ago, Lee01 said:

Yet UK supplies of the AZ vaccine seem to be unaffected so far. Funny that. 

That's because the vaccine is being manufactured at a number of sites across the world - in the UK, in the EU and in India.

The issue with the EU supplies is apparently due to a third party provider of materials to AZ:

image.png.fd35c652f0307a4ebc38490c3f778048.png

It's nothing to do with the UK controlling export of the vaccine to the EU - even though some on here and elsewhere seem to be implying it is...

• Like 1

In the words of the Minister in charge of the delivery of the vaccine in the UK this morning.

'The UK is the 3rd best in the world at rolling out the vaccine.'   

But then he is known to exaggerate and have made his fortune founding a polling company so getting figures right is not his greatest talent.

Lying without blushing or blinking is what he is very good at, as well as avoiding giving a straight answer to a simple question.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

This is actually the reason, according to German and Polish friends/colleagues, that everything took so long in the EU vaccine discussions:

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-eu-idUKL8N2JH23M

Particularly the bit about france insisting a larger slice for GSK/Sanofi vaccine that wasn't approved and isn't even likely to be ready until later this year. Amazing how one country seems to be the base for these claims over and over from people from many other countries.

As a seperate note, Spain isn't imune from problems either:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/spains-jab-rollout-dogged-by-delays-elitist-queuejumpers-spain-armed-forces-regions-cases-delays-b1791461.html

Edited by cheezemonkhai

5 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

This is actually the reason, according to German and Polish friends/colleagues, that everything took so long in the EU vaccine discussions:

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-eu-idUKL8N2JH23M

Really? 'This is actually the reason' according to your unverified sources? @Tilt had you pinned the other day as did I last year when you refused to accept my evidence in regards of HO licences to which you said 'we'll just have to agree to disagree'. If you remember I gave you at least three sources that confirmed my position.
Please, back up your claims from your German/ Polish 'friends' with evidence they said what you say they said.

Astra Zeneca respond to production delays 

Coronavirus: AstraZeneca defends EU vaccine rollout plan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55817633

He also said the EU's late decision to sign contracts had given limited time to sort out hiccups with supply.

Mr Soriot, chief executive of the UK-Swedish multinational, said a contract with the UK had been signed three months before the one with the EU, giving more time for glitches to be ironed out.

He told La Repubblica that problems in "scaling up" vaccine production were being experienced at two plants, one in the Netherlands and one in Belgium.

He added: "We've also had teething issues like this in the UK supply chain. But the UK contract was signed three months before the European vaccine deal. So with the UK we have had an extra three months to fix all the glitches we experienced.