Winter is coming!

6 hours ago, fr1nklyn said:

Man, these are summer tires.. Even all-season are compromise which you can take in UK and other countries with mild winter.

Winter tires are the recommended option.

Good that you learnt your lesson.

Sorry if I sound like your old grandma :D

Yeah, the website I got them from didn't say summer/ winter. I saw the A rating for wet grip and just went with them. Turns out wet grip and snow are very different...

• Like 2

-13 this morning and the fluff is coming down. At least some of the ice from Thursday has melted back off the lights and grille of the Octy, but not all and it's now filthy. Can't wash it at home, either, and I don't have access to the office's underground car park with built-in car wash area (yes, really). Hmmm.... 

2 hours ago, hansen1 said:

I`ve owned cars since 1977(yes I`m old) can honestly say that I never washed the car during the winter!

Don't they use salt in your area or they use those special chemicals which aren't harmful for the cars and roads? I do wash mine because of the salt and maybe because kids get car's dirt on their jackets( no one enlightened them that they can write on the car when it\s dirty, not yet. That would be another reason as well  ) :D 

1 minute ago, fr1nklyn said:

Don't they use salt in your area or they use those special chemicals which aren't harmful for the cars and roads? I do wash mine because of the salt and maybe because kids get car's dirt on their jackets( no one enlightened them that they can write on the car when it\s dirty, not yet. That would be another reason as well  ) :D 

Yes lots of salt.......that is why my red car look white in spring time:biggrin:

1 minute ago, hansen1 said:

Yes lots of salt.......that is why my red car look white in spring time:biggrin:

Isn't this causing corrosion to your cars? I know that VAG cars are well protected against it, but still, with salt staying there for so long, isn't it harmful?

You said auto painting is part of your job, so your opinion carries weight :) 

1 hour ago, fr1nklyn said:

Isn't this causing corrosion to your cars? I know that VAG cars are well protected against it, but still, with salt staying there for so long, isn't it harmful?

You said auto painting is part of your job, so your opinion carries weight :) 

I know, there are not many people who treat cars like me.:biggrin:

But when I buy a new or better used car,the first thing I do is lift it up,remove the tires,inner fenders and all plastic shields under the car,

cleaning(if is a used car) mask the brake rotors and exhaust system.

Then I spray on wax in several layers,let it dry for a day or two.Reassemble everything,then I wax inside the doors and tailgate.

Some time in November I wash the car and give it a waxing with Sonax wax.

Been doing this for 30 years now(3 cars) works fine for me.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hansen1 said:

I know, there are not many people who treat cars like me.:biggrin:

But when I buy a new or better used car,the first thing I do is lift it up,remove the tires,inner fenders and all plastic shields under the car,

cleaning(if is a used car) mask the brake rotors and exhaust system.

Then I spray on wax in several layers,let it dry for a day or two.Reassemble everything,then I wax inside the doors and tailgate.

Some time in November I wash the car and give it a waxing with Sonax wax.

Been doing this for 30 years now(3 cars) works fine for me.

Ahh thanks! Sounds like a good way to protect your car from the salt :)

I did waxed mine before winter with Soft99 and it’s pretty good or at least my car isn’t getting as dirty as w/o the wax.

• Like 1

On 08/01/2021 at 22:27, justin82 said:

I have Goodyear eagle asymmetric tyres on mine and couldn't even get off my road.... 🤦🏻‍♂️ I've learnt for next time..

Summer tyres, good wet grip at +20c (and higher) 

Completely useless in cold rain, slush and snow

There are very few areas of UK where the latest summer tyres are sensible choice anymore, as since the introduction of all seasons (now best choice for majority of UK), the summer versions seem to have been respecified to give a good mpg at WLTP test temperature of +23c so nowhere near as good as tyres from a few years ago in wet below +10c

Of course if you are keen driver, in warmer months, then put these on in the summer.     

• Like 1

car got washed on the way into work by the melting snow. Still can't read the front plate (the brown frozen mess is still there); the rear is a little better because of all the water. 

Supposed to come down in a big way tomorrow - had to clear the paths and drive again tonight, there was a good few cm from today. 

Also had the tyre pressure thing go "BING" on the way home - no issues - and then the orange oil light came on. 25k kms, so this is Ok. Will add another half liter, get myself filthy at the same time and then see what happens. Service is probably due in 2 months now... 

Please, send some snow down to Slovakia. All I got here is a mud these days :D Snow just in higher altitudes, but I expect to be freezing outside for next few days. At least, the mud will freeze. Chance to ride a mtb without mudguards again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

we got closer to 20cm yesterday and the wind blew it everywhere. Not as bad as Helsinki, though, which seems to have had over 30cm and one friend is reporting 50.... that's about half the snow due over the winter, dumped in one day. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, brettikivi said:

we got closer to 20cm yesterday and the wind blew it everywhere. Not as bad as Helsinki, though, which seems to have had over 30cm and one friend is reporting 50.... that's about half the snow due over the winter, dumped in one day. 

I am glad that we only have 5cm of this white stuff.

17 minutes ago, fr1nklyn said:

Come on, give us some - we have 1 cm... :D I barely see it. But we expect some cold mornings in the weekend -10 to -13C, we’ll see. 

You can have all of my snow for free,,,,you just have to pick it up:biggrin:

Edited by hansen1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, brettikivi said:

-20C for tomorrow and -22 for the day after is the current forecast... at least it looks like we'll actually have an icetrack this year again :)

1482840726_Skrmavbild2021-01-13kl_08_44_28.png.5926d01f52e61ba93a12fcba37f8ffc2.png