Skoda connect and internet radio

Wladaaaaa

I must say that I'm super happy that Skoda provided an internet radio solution for my new Karoq (MY 2021). It is a perfect solution for fresh music in the car. 
Is internet connection provided via Skoda Connect package? Do I have some limitation in data transfer via an integrated SIM?
Is it possible to share that via car hotspot, and again does some limitations exists?

frisky-radio-karoq.jpg

My MY21 Karoq offers to connect me to Web radio stations, but cannot download any, despite the other Connect services working, so it's reassuring to see that it does work for you! 

When our covid lockdown ends I'll have to have a word with my dealer about it.

Did you try to click on the search icon and to select for example one station from the top 100? That's how I started an internet station. Just choose one from the preset list or search some.

By selecting internet radio from the source, and clicking on next, it won't start the iRadio. You need to choose it from the list. 
I had the same problem as you, and that is how I fixed the problem.

1 hour ago, Wladaaaaa said:

I got my car a couple of days ago with the latest software. You probably need to update the software firmware. Probably someone in car service can help you with that. 

Mine was built on the 21st of October 2020, and delivered to me on the 16th of November. When I connected it to my Connect account, it downloaded an update over the data connection (but I have no idea what is was). I'll have to ask my dealer if there's an update when I quiz him about the web radio not working, and the fact that I've still not received any details about the Skoda Breakdown Recovery Service we get with a new car in the UK.

On 01/12/2020 at 18:19, CJJE said:

I've still not received any details about the Skoda Breakdown Recovery Service we get with a new car in the UK.

We also haven't had anything on the breakdown service, although I suspect the idea is that in the event of a breakdown you just press the 'spanner' button in the overhead panel and it connects you. Otherwise it looks like you'd need to call them direct - there is a downloadable brochure on the service here - https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/roadside-assistance

@VRT24,

Yes I've seen the downloaded handbook, but it's not designed for home printing, and yet contains a lot of useful information about the service and its use in the UK or abroad. I've asked Skoda UK if they supply copies.

Chris

34 minutes ago, CJJE said:

@VRT24,

Yes I've seen the downloaded handbook, but it's not designed for home printing, and yet contains a lot of useful information about the service and its use in the UK or abroad. I've asked Skoda UK if they supply copies.

Chris

Skoda UK have come back to me with a link to the online handbook, but as I've told them its page sizes mean you can't print it out easily on a home printer! They've now referred me to my dealer (in the hope they may have some printed copies).

Chris

On 01/12/2020 at 18:19, CJJE said:

Mine was built on the 21st of October 2020, and delivered to me on the 16th of November. When I connected it to my Connect account, it downloaded an update over the data connection (but I have no idea what is was). I'll have to ask my dealer if there's an update when I quiz him about the web radio not working, and the fact that I've still not received any details about the Skoda Breakdown Recovery Service we get with a new car in the UK.

For what it's worth, my Kodiaq is exactly the same. It would have been built around this time too. If you stick your VIN into the software update portal, you'll probably find you already have the latest software. It may be a UK thing or it may be like Skoda-Connect in that it only works occasionally.

Regarding Skoda Breakdown, the handbook was included along with with the owners manual on my car but it's a waste of paper IMO. All I want to know is the telephone number of who to call if I breakdown.  

Edited by Guest

If its any comfort my car had a flat battery the day after I collected it, and despite the recovery service getting it going and my putting on charge for 24 hours did it again 5 days later.

The AA came out both times, very quickly and helped me take the car back to the dealer and got them to replace the battery.

Excellant service under the warranty.

After a couple of days with good music, my internet radio stopped working. Does anyone have the same problem? I tried to find some server status information for Skoda radio but without success. 

Having a problem for 3 consecutive days. Getting the information that service doesn't work and to try later or to contact service support. 

I still can't get it to download the station categories even. I wondered if it needed a better mobile data signal so tried parking near our local mobile phone mast, but it made no difference. 

Looks like it's a feature that's not been properly developed. 

But the Skoda Connect service seems to be down (again!) too. Might be connected with the promised updated phone apps which have also been delayed.

Chris

Edited by CJJE

Hopefully, that is because of the update. 

For me, the internet radio worked just fine for a couple of days, and I was really happy. But, now stopped. 

Let's see, maybe after the updates problem will be resolved. 

My dealer has confirmed that the Internet Radio is not working as intended, and suggests that Skoda have launched it before the technology is ready. 

My System Information shows my software as below. Is yours the same, or has your system update given you a more recent release?

Chris

Amundsen System Information - 2020-12-07.jpg

I managed to run internet radio when the car was online and connected via my mobile phone hotspot. Also, I contacted the support and here is the response.

Dear Mr. Bujanovic,

thank you for your email, we will be happy to help. 

Internet radio requered internet connection provided from user, you may use internal data plan from Cubic Telecom (https://skoda.cubictelecom.com/ ) or you can connect your infotainment to your hotspot. 

If you have your car connected and you cannot use online internet radio, please let us know how exactly (screens may help) and we will consult this issue with our technical team.

Thank you.

I'm 100% sure that internet radio worked for me in the first couple of days without any subscription.

Unfortunately, cubicetelecom service is not available in Serbia, so I will continue to share network connection via mobile phone. 

Information about my system:
Hardware: H22
Software: 0270
Navigation database: 20.10

Radio Database:1.30.16

Edited by Wladaaaaa

Hi Wladaaaaa,

Looks like you've got an updated map for yours, but the hardware and software is the same. The MY21 Karoqs in the UK now come with a free online data plan for the first year (probably to get us used to having it, so we'll pay to keep it later!) 

I've just been talking to Skoda UK's multi-media support guy (about why half my radio stations don't have logos, and why the MIB3 Amundsen won't let you download and add the missing ones yourself.) But I also asked him why I couldn't get the Web Radio to work. He agrees that it's a real mess and the system has been launched with insufficient testing. So if enough people complain to their importers, perhaps the message will get back to Czechia and the software will be updated! 

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Latest reply from Skoda UK technical support: the dataplan allowance on your built-in ESim card only supports Skoda Connect and not web radio. You will need to use your phone's data allowance to listen to web radio. When I asked how I could update my maps then he had no answer. I also pointed out that Skoda UK were advertising features (web radio and updating maps) with no mention of a data allowance problem. 

I've escalated the problems to the Head of Customer Services Skoda UK, to see what happens next.

Chris

Thanks for your reply. Please give us the info once you get more details, if you get any.

I got the same answer. Check my previous post.
In the end, I don't use internet radio option at all. Need to create a hotspot from my phone and to connect then car to the hotspot. It's a process which I don't want to do every time when I enter the car. 

Now I use Spotify with AA and my phone data. The phone connected via USB cable because my phone doesn't support wireless AA.

1 hour ago, kenfowler3966 said:

I updated my maps on my MY20 car by connecting it to the home WiFi whilst parked on drive and using my unlimited home data allowance. Can’t you do that on the newer model?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to look into how I tell it to connect to my WiFi. But I'm not sure if the system will update 'on command'.

If I go into the System Information screen and press the Update Software button, it gives me three choices of what to update. (System, Radio and Other I think from memory). But none of these show any update file to download. Perhaps it will when it's connected to my WiFi? And I can't find any options to update the maps from inside the Navigation menus.

Chris

Sorry slightly incorrect. Car was connected to phone but phone was using home WiFi as close enough to get a signal on drive so no issue with huge downloads.

From memory it took hours to download the data as The update covered most of Europe.

I updated the other items as well the same way

Edited by kenfowler3966
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FireBIade said:

I noticed if my mobile is connected to the car it will favour using that data connection rather than the e-sim, which makes sense.

That depends on the data allowance you've got with your phone!