Android Auto not working with new phone (Android 11)

Hey everyone,

I have a 67 plate Octavia VRS, with the Amundsen unit. Up until recently I was using my Android Auto via cable to my OnePlus 5 (Android 9) with no issue. I've since upgraded to a OnePlus 8T which has Android 11, but it's not being picked up by the car when I plug it in. It charges, but the car otherwise doesn't detect it's connected so I can't use Android Auto.

Is there a way for me to check if there is a software/firmware update available for the Amundsen that might resolve it? (I have asked the dealership to check when it was in recently, but they seemed to forget and when I chased about it, I felt like I was fobbed off without them actually checking). 

TIA

Yep the new phone has the "Add new cars to Android Auto" enabled.

New Android 11 phone: I managed to connect the new phone briefly on a couple of attempts (out of many attempts) and the car shows in AA on the new phone.  But then loses connection and goes back to Connecting status on the phone.

Original Android 9 phone: still able to connect that fine, same cable.

I did a factory reset in the car - same outcome.

It could be phone related?

My pixel 2 is running Android 11 and has no issues with AA on the Amundsen in my '18 plate vRS.

There might be a software update. Pab is super helpful if you post a picture of the current software version to this thread:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, langers2k said:

It could be phone related?

My pixel 2 is running Android 11 and has no issues with AA on the Amundsen in my '18 plate vRS.

There might be a software update. Pab is super helpful if you post a picture of the current software version to this thread:

That's good to know that it can support Android 11. I have a couple of things to try by enabling Developer Mode, and if not, I'll share a pic to that thread for software update check. Thanks!

Have you got the AA app installed? Sometimes that helps although Android of late has it baked in. 

I have found that the cable is the most annoying part. One cable working with one phone then fails with another often in the way you describe. Try as many cables as you can and select your 'permanent' one from that pile. Pretty much how it works every time I get a new phone (list below of phones that I have found to be cable sensitive)

OnePlus 3

OnePlus 5

Pixel 3

Pixel 5

Just noticed it goes 3535. Yes... I'm boring like that ;)

• 2 months later...

In case anyone else stumbles on this in the future, I managed to get it working in the end.

2 things:

1) Make sure the Default USB Configuration is File Transfer (I believe mine was originally defaulting to "No data transfer" (https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/1011577-android-auto-drops-out-usb-preferences-issues.html)
2) The phone has to be unlocked before it's connected to the car - this was not the case with my previous Android