Yeti Haldex V Oil Change & Pump Filter Clean

aerofurb

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks! Planning to do it myself once the Haldex oil and O-rings arrive. Dealer changed the oil 6 months and 10k km ago, but filter wasn’t cleaned, that’s why I decided to do it.

• Like 1

I had no 4 x 4 for a number of months before realising  and had it repaired under warranty just before it expired, unfortunately I did ask the specifics (as I wasn’t paying) but have always wondered if it was electrical or mechanical failure or blocked filter even.

10 hours ago, Sad555 said:

I had no 4 x 4 for a number of months before realising  and had it repaired under warranty just before it expired, unfortunately I did ask the specifics (as I wasn’t paying) but have always wondered if it was electrical or mechanical failure or blocked filter even.

Do you know what was changed? AFAIK in most cases only the pump fails due to filter clogging.

Also did you notice any difference after the fix?

• 1 month later...

Ok, I did mine today, again thanks for the great explanation in this topic!

Few things to share:

- I wasn’t able to remove the pump plug even after removing the controller, so I replaced the pump o-rings while it was hanging on its wire.

- The pump filter wasn’t that bad, but despite that, I removed and cleaned it with break cleaner.

- The housing where the pump sits was horrible! There was so much gunk and deposits inside, even thought the haldex oil was changed by the dealer 10k km ago.. The pump and housing should definitely be cleaned as part of the Haldex service. And IMO it should be done every 35-40k km(20-25k miles). Same for the DSG oil..

- I used Ravenol AWD Haldex oil instead of the oem one, that’s my personal preference. I just don’t believe the oem one is good enough, but again this is my opinion.

- Pump’s bolts and o-rings can be reused. Change them every next service. The original ones were on 115k km(70k miles) and were absolutely ok - no leaks.

@fr1nklynSmall point but the DSG oil change interval is at 40,000 miles / 64,300 km.

The Haldex schedule is at 3 years, so people need to think what miles / km they are doing or just how poor VW Group Recommendations are and do it sooner.

It was 4 year intervals with VW before being brought down to 3 years, and that happened with VW before Skoda got around to it.

25 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@fr1nklynSmall point but the DSG oil change interval is at 40,000 miles / 64,300 km.

The Haldex schedule is at 3 years, so people need to think what miles / km they are doing or just how poor VW Group Recommendations are and do it sooner.

It was 4 year intervals with VW before being brought down to 3 years, and that happened with VW before Skoda got around to it.

These intervals are way too long, maybe if you drive 90% highway, they would be ok.

Oil service every 25k miles for both DSG and Haldex+filter cleaning is what I’m following.

And as a time interval, no more than 3 years if miles aren’t reached. 

My haldex was serviced twice for 4 years - on 35 and 70k miles, and what I saw today( 6 months and 7k miles later) is so much gunk in the hosing that it’ll most likely block the pump in the next 30k miles. But maybe that’s because the official service manual doesn’t mention filter cleaning.

• Like 1

@fr1nklynAre you doing lots of offroad driving?

The interval for the DSG's with VW, Seat & Skoda oil changes certainly do not appear to cause any issues for millions of boxes.

Audi give the recommendation of 38,000.

It is everybodys choice to decide what they want to spend on preventative maintenance & servicing as only they know how they use a vehicle.

The experiences of members here and owners certainly point to the sense in servicing the Haldex more often,  but as the DSG wet clutch boxes that is more questionable.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

@e-RoottootI agree with you that the 6S DSG has proven durability and maybe 25k oil changes are a bit “overkill”, but having in mind how often the clutch(es) is engaged and gears are switched in the traffic during my week days commute, and also that my wife is driving the car like in a video game, I would like to sleep well by changing the transmission oil more often than recommended.

I drive mainly highway during the weekends + some miles offroad due to the lack of roads to the village :)

These service recommendations are supposed to guarantee no issues for the 4/5-years warranty.

Had mine done recently at an independent VAG garage, my 2017 Yeti has 37k miles, previously had the Haldex oil changed by Skoda, but I doubt the filter has ever been cleaned before..

Before

935032388_Haldex1.thumb.jpg.099c2ae933795f91712821169d8ed635.jpg

1689540013_Haldex4.thumb.jpg.4e1b46392d5b73c6ececcd3e364b6d45.jpg

After

585017736_Haldex5.thumb.jpg.282db1ca3643e46342cad9218e1c244b.jpg

1212839461_Haldex3.thumb.jpg.d6bac7d662b24bf56179d6017ac52677.jpg

Edited by Dale_Stevens
  • Like 1