Should i walk away?

Hello,

I'm new here and this is my first post. I've put a deposit on a 2018 TSI VRS. It's high mileage for its age at 51k. I've not seen it yet but will be ready on Monday. I was asking the dealer for service history and he said it was done with Skoda 18k last year. I've contacted Skoda and they've confirmed the same. The dealer mentioned the DSG was done ay 41,000 and the print out says "DSG Oil & filter change" this must have been done at an independent as skoda has no record of it. This isn't clear if the oil and filter is referring to those in the DSG or they mean as well as them. It would be strange to not do a oil change at the same time. I'm I being overly cautious here? Is it strange not using the mains dealer servicing on such a new car? 

Thanks in advance.

@Rjbell

Is it a Skoda Approved Used car and coming with 12 month or a 24 month Warranty? (Remainder of the manufacturers warranty.)

?

What other servicing has it had, was it on Fixed / Annual so at 9,400 miles or Variable and Oil & Filter done twice at 18,000-20,000 miles each?

What about the Warranty History, has it needed anything, maybe like the Dealership needing to put it to an independent for a new gearbox or anything like that.

?

What are the tyres on the car, how are the brakes, do they need new pads or discs?

?

Is the windscreen chip free?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@Rjbell

Is it a Skoda Approved Used car and coming with 12 month or a 24 month Warranty? (Remainder of the manufacturers warranty.)

?

What other servicing has it had, was it on Fixed / Annual so at 9,400 miles or Variable and Oil & Filter done twice at 18,000-20,000 miles each?

What about the Warranty History, has it needed anything, maybe like the Dealership needing to put it to an independent for a new gearbox or anything like that.

?

What are the tyres on the car, how are the brakes, do they need new pads or discs?

?

Is the windscreen chip free?

No its not a Skoda Approved.

Its variable. I'll inspect the DSG service invoice for oil change also. 

I'll contact Skoda again tomorrow regarding warranty history.

I'll look over the tyres , brakes and chips on the test drive Monday.

Thanks again for the help.

• Like 1

Sit back now and enjoy the fantastic drive. I'm on Skoda number twelve, (Octavia number seven) and just wouldn't buy anything else. Even looked at a couple of E class Mercs before buying my latest Octavia, and they weren't in the same league. I'm also a big Jag fan but older ones, ie, X300 XJ's from the 90's. Thought, I'll have a go at an XF.  The 3.0 V6 is a powerhouse but couldn't find a decent one without issues. Tried a couple of 2.2D's but wasn't all that impressed either. Who would've thought that years ago. Skoda it is and probably always will be.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, numptie-boy said:

Sit back now and enjoy the fantastic drive. I'm on Skoda number twelve, (Octavia number seven) and just wouldn't buy anything else. Even looked at a couple of E class Mercs before buying my latest Octavia, and they weren't in the same league. I'm also a big Jag fan but older ones, ie, X300 XJ's from the 90's. Thought, I'll have a go at an XF.  The 3.0 V6 is a powerhouse but couldn't find a decent one without issues. Tried a couple of 2.2D's but wasn't all that impressed either. Who would've thought that years ago. Skoda it is and probably always will be.

Yeah, i'm impressed so far. It almost makes me feel like a grown up!!

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 16:37, e-Roottoot said:

Main Dealers are nothing special really. Hit or miss who works on your car as it is anyplace.  Master Tech, Tech, Apprentice, Fitter or a Mechanical Engineer.

Agreed. Just had mine in for an MOT and they advised me that the cambelt needed doing, again. What!?! It was done in January this year (and that was because the car was 5 years old not because of the mileage which was 50K). I advised them of that and they said "Really?". My response "Yes, I'm surprised it's not recorded somewhere".

When they did do the cambelt (I had the water pump & belt done as well) they gave me the car back and when I checked the washer fluid & oil a few weeks later I discovered they'd snapped one of the two clips that holds the inlet pipe at the throttle body, thus letting unfiltered air into the engine inlet plus ruining the engine mixture. It took a number of visits to convince them to rectify this. They finally did it after the remaining clip snapped clean off at 70mph when I changed down (the DSG did) to do an overtake and the manifold pressure was too much for the remaining plastic clip.

Not impressed that they broke it during the servicing and they just reassembled it hoping the owner (me) wouldn't notice. Rather than call me and say, we've had an issue, keep the loan car another day and then they could fix the issue. I wouldn't mind but they're not cheap either, so I'm paying top dollar for shoddy workmanship.

At the same time they also managed to spilt the air guide hose from the air filter housing (I'm assuming they were just very rough and ready with the car when they were working on it). I didn't even bother to complain about that and sourced one from another dealership and paid for the part and fitted it myself.

There's a reason they're sometimes called "Main Stealers".

But's kind of Catch 22 because I get free MOTs if I get my servicing done there, although they did forget this and try to charge me. It passed and they washed it for free too. But I'm seriously considering taking it elsewhere but can't decide where. With Covid my mileage is very low so I can put the decision off for a while yet.

• Like 3