Recall: Software update to power supply unit

singh946

Hi Guys,

My Mrs. car was in for a service last week and the dealership carried out a recall for software update to PSU. 

The update reset the adaptations I did with VCDS couple of years ago in '19 Central Electronics'.

Was able to retain all the setting back apart from Unlock / Lock Horn confirmation has stopped working :( 

I only had the Lock confirmation enabled which we found very useful to confirm everything is locked. 

I followed the same instruction as follows which I found on Mk7 Golf forums but to no avail no sound.

Something tells me the Alarm is not working? 

Alarm beep on lock / unlock
Go into [09] Central Electronics
Go into Secuity Access and enter 31347
Adaptation channels, and you are looking for:
(1)-Acknowledgement Signals -Akustische Rueckmeldung entriegen (un-lock acoustic feedback)
(2)-Acknowledgement Signals -Akustische Rueckmeldung verriegeln (lock acoustic feedback)
Set one or both to on if you wish.
Then set the following to "on"

(7)-Acknowledgement Signals -Menuesteuerung akustische Rueckmeldung (Acoustic lock menu)
This enables a menu setting in the "car" settings, "Locking" menu of the infotainment screen to set alarm chirp on or off when locking /unlocking the car and have the option to switch it on or off from the head unit.
Touch the off button for 10 secs to reboot MMI.

• Like 1

It would be a Recall Action / Service Campaign action that was done if the car happened to be in a got it done.

If it is a Recall then Registered Keepers should be informed regardless of if they use main dealerships for servicing.

There needs to be more openness and less 'Skoda Secret Service Service Campaigns'.

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

2 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

It would be a Recall Action / Service Campaign action that was done if the car happened to be in a got it done.

If it is a Recall then Registered Keepers should be informed regardless of if they use main dealerships for servicing.

There needs to be more openness and less 'Skoda Secret Service Service Campaigns'.

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

The website shows no recall for my car? strange!!! 

The service desk did advice it was a software update for the PSU. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e-Roottoot said:

Not strange if already carried out and on the system as done.

Strange is it applies to others cars and it does not show when they put in their VIN.    Not a Recall, & i wish Skoda Dealership staff  would learn the difference, if they do not recall vehicles.

Honestly speaking I was bit a surprised when the person in service told me 'Oh there is a recall for software update on your car'. Only when I asked him about the recall he mentioned what it was for?

• Like 1

Some full and part time Service Desk & Service Managers in Main Dealers should know better by now and explain better to the customers what is being done and why, but first they would need to be told themselves.

That would lead to less confusion and owner / drivers having to learn about stuff on the social media.

42 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Some full and part time Service Desk & Service Managers in Main Dealers should know better by now and explain better to the customers what is being done and why, but first they would need to be told themselves.

That would lead to less confusion and owner / drivers having to learn about stuff on the social media.

For the most part the motor trade is a stagnant pool of talentless mongs I'm afraid 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

So easy really for English Speakers in the UK to tell the customer across the desk that they have become aware of a 'Software update' which is applicable to the customers vehicle.

If there was more trust between Dealerships and customers it would be 'Simply Clever'. 

Somehow that seems to not be learned over all the decades of Skoda being part of the VW Group.

• Like 1

I'd think that there is also the possibility when when Jo Public (the customer) is engages with someone that is quoting "what the computer said" it is just too easy for them, the customer, to do an auto translate into something they, the customer, either understands or has heard mentioned elsewhere so "power switching" or "power management" both become PSU - of course in the same way, the "technical" side of the desk might have tried and failed to dumb down "what the computer said" in a bid to make the average customer understand it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, singh946 said:

apart from Unlock / Lock Horn confirmation has stopped working :( 

I think the J519/ module 09 unit is called Onboard supply control Unit sometimes, which could be abbreviated to power supply unit or PSU

The update may well have included software modification to specifically not allow that alarm horn confirmation of locking etc.

I seem to remember reading about some EU ruling that made it illegal, for noise nuisance reasons.

It would be a bit tragic for you if that was all that the update was for.

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wino said:

I think the J519/ module 09 unit is called Onboard supply control Unit sometimes, which could be abbreviated to power supply unit or PSU

The update may well have included software modification to specifically not allow that alarm horn confirmation of locking etc.

I seem to remember reading about some EU ruling that made it illegal, for noise nuisance reasons.

It would be a bit tragic for you if that was all that the update was for.

Oh gosh :( Definitely making sure my Tiguan doesn't get this update :O 

Is there a way to confirm the details of this software update?

5 minutes ago, Wino said:

Ask the person that did it? They may not be able to tell you  fine details but should at least be able to give you some sort of reference number or version number of the update, I expect?

It was done by Skoda in Bolton. Will fire them an email to confirm what was done. I am sure there is a work around it :D