3rd Generation (MIB3) Infotainment System Problems

CJJE

There are a number of threads in the Karoq section detailing the problems owners are experiencing with the MIB3 Amundsen and Columbus Infotainment systems. Basically, the Skoda Update Portal assumes that you still have a SD card slot for updates when it has been replaced by USB-C ports in MIB3 Karoqs, and the software doesn't recognise updated maps or radio logos on a USB memory stick.

Typical threads are at:

MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure - Skoda Karoq - BRISKODA

MY21/Infotainment/Skoda Connect issues - Skoda Karoq - BRISKODA

and 

MY 21 Amundsen Infotainment system - Skoda Karoq - BRISKODA.

Presumably owners of MY21 Kamiqs, Scalas and Octavias will also be experiencing these problems? I have certainly seen similar complaints in VW Passat and SEAT Ateca forums.

Could you add links to any other similar threads below, and if you are suffering consider making a complaint to Skoda UK via the Contact Form on the Skoda UK website at Contact Us form | ŠKODA UK (skoda.co.uk)

Chris   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Further update...

It's now been determined that in Western Europe the MIB3 infotainment systems cannot use the USB port to update the maps, although Eastern European owners can. This is because the function has been disabled - officially because we have online updates for whichever country we are in. (Unofficially, to 'encourage' us to pay for the Infotainment Online service each year to get these updates?)

This also prevents us adding radio logos to stations that do not display any - leaving a mix of stations with and without logos. 

Finally, web radio stations can only be accessed via the built-in eSIM if we pay for a Cubic Telecom data plan (7 Euro for 2GB/30 days, 15 Euro for 5GB/90 days, or 72 Euro for 25GB/365 days.) A work-around is to use your phone as a mobile hotspot and use its data allowance instead. (When I tried this, after months of failing to access web radio stations via the eSIM, it worked instantly.) What really annoys me is that there is no indication in the manual or other marketing literature telling me that I needed to do this!

Chris

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 16/02/2021 at 12:09, CJJE said:

Further update...

It's now been determined that in Western Europe the MIB3 infotainment systems cannot use the USB port to update the maps, although Eastern European owners can. This is because the function has been disabled - officially because we have online updates for whichever country we are in. (Unofficially, to 'encourage' us to pay for the Infotainment Online service each year to get these updates?)

This also prevents us adding radio logos to stations that do not display any - leaving a mix of stations with and without logos. 

Finally, web radio stations can only be accessed via the built-in eSIM if we pay for a Cubic Telecom data plan (7 Euro for 2GB/30 days, 15 Euro for 5GB/90 days, or 72 Euro for 25GB/365 days.) A work-around is to use your phone as a mobile hotspot and use its data allowance instead. (When I tried this, after months of failing to access web radio stations via the eSIM, it worked instantly.) What really annoys me is that there is no indication in the manual or other marketing literature telling me that I needed to do this!

Chris

This gets more confusing! 

A Karoq owner has just had this letter from Skoda Customer Support:

Re: Karoq SE Drive –

Dear Mr ..........

Thank you for getting in contact with us.

I have spoken with one of my colleagues who has confirmed that the map updates are done automatically to your Multi-Media Unit. This is because all new ŠKODAs come with 1 year free ŠKODA Connect Services.

Once this has expired, you can either chose to renew your ŠKODA Connect Services, or not and have to do this manually. This would be done by downloading the map update onto a USBC stick; that would then be plugged in and manually uploaded onto the vehicle. These instructions will be updated for your make and model, once translated over from German to English.

I would like to apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused. Of course, should you have any other queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on the details below.

Thank you for contacting ŠKODA UK.

Kind regards

So perhaps we will be able to manually update the maps after all???

Chris

• 9 months later...
On 16/02/2021 at 13:09, CJJE said:

How exactly do you do this?

I set my phone to hotspot mode and connected the car, but still can not use web radios. I have a Octavia Mk4.

Can anyone list the steps needed (for the car part), please?

Regards,

David

OK... but this is applicable to a Karoq's Amundsen system and so may need adapting for an Octavia and/or Columbus system :)

I needed to set my phone up as a Mobile Hotspot, with Data Sharing.

The car then had to be set up to connect to my phone rather than its built-in eSIM card. For a Karoq Amundsen I did this via the Menu / System Settings / Data Connection screen. This normally has a tick against the eSIM, so untick this and find your phone's data connection instead. Remember this will now be using your phone's data allowance!

Then on the Radio screen set the radio source as I.net Radio and wait for it to download the list of web radio stations available to you. You can then save the ones you like best as favourites.

Chris

I think the Bolero is normally like an Amundsen but without the satnav. So hopefully your Octavia's Bolero will have similar software to my Karoq's Amundsen even if the hardware looks different. :)

Chris

On my car, pressing the main RADIO button on the infotainment screen gives me:

image.png.221a4d053a95fca6bbdce7192341781d.png

Pressing on the FM/DAB button then lets me choose the 'source' with a choice of FM/DAB, I.net Radio, and two more options I can't recall just now. 

There is no AM tuner on my Amundsen.

Chris 

Edited by CJJE

The GUI design is a bit weird, so maybe it is hidden somewhere. I'll check again alter.

For example, there is no quick way to switch from FM to DAB.

There is only an option in Settings between "FM only" and "FM+DAB".

On the main screen (the radio) there is a menu, but it has only one item: FM/DAB  (which gives a mix of FM and DAB stations).

(in case I select "FM only" in Settings, then the mentioned menu show "FM" or something like that)

In other words, the menu that I would expect to allow me to choose between different inputs is useless, as it only has one item.

The FM/DAB button will play and show both FM and DAB stations if that is the choice you have made on the Radio Settings (cog wheel) screen. Again depending on the chosen settings, it will then switch between a station's DAB and FM signal if the DAB signal disappears.

If I press on the bottom left-hand FM/DAB button, then I get a choice of sources: FM/DAB, I net Radio, My Media and Bluetooth. 

Selecting the I.net Radio source in my car switches to Web Radio stations, and it will then download all available stations (if you have bought a dataplan for the eSIM or have connected the system to a phone as discussed earlier). Once the list is downloaded, you can then choose a station and save it as a favourite. 

If your Octavia is not doing this, then I can only suggest you post in the Octavia forum and ask Octavia owners how to get Web Radio as it would seem your infotainment system is different to mine in a Karoq.

Chris

PS: In the UK the Octavia SE with Bolero does not mention having Web Radio... are you sure it is shown as a feature in your car??

Edited by CJJE

• 1 year later...

Hello to everyone. I have skoda kodiaq FaceLift 1.5petrol 150hp dsg and for audio system I have amundnsen. I think as it is new car that I have Amundsen MIB3. I have question for you. Is it possible to format usb disk over usb-c cabel with amunden? I have one usb disk wich is not recognizable by no one electronic device. Only amundsen is seeing it and can play video or song from it. If it is not possibel I just can put that usb disk to tresh.

What operating sistem is on Amundsen ?

Thank you very much !!!

Edited by DaniC

2 hours ago, DaniC said:

Hello to everyone. I have skoda kodiaq FaceLift 1.5petrol 150hp dsg and for audio system I have amundnsen. I think as it is new car that I have Amundsen MIB3. I have question for you. Is it possible to format usb disk over usb-c cabel with amunden? I have one usb disk wich is not recognizable by no one electronic device. Only amundsen is seeing it and can play video or song from it. If it is not possibel I just can put that usb disk to tresh.

What operating sistem is on Amundsen ?

Thank you very much !!!

Hi DaniC,

There is no way that I have seen for the Amundsen to format a USB disk. Instead, it will read files on any USB disk that has been formatted already using the VFAT, FAT16, FAT32, exFAT or NTFS file system. Details were in my digital owners manual, in the Amundsen / Media / Supported Sources and Files section. Presumably the web-based owners manual for your newer car will have the same details somewhere.

Best Wishes,

Chris 

#Chris ,

thx for your reply. The usb disk was inserted into Sony Android TV and I wantade to put some new files on it and I just unplug it from TV. After that action the usb disk was broken. No windows pc, no apple pc or linux platform do not detect any more. But if I plug it to Amundsen MIB3 it does recognize it and play files from it. I tried various software for recovery disk but it did not help. I don't remember anymore, but I think that only one software told me that the disk was locked and could no longer be used. That's why I thought that if Amundsen recognizes it, maybe I could format the USB drive with it if there is such an option on Amundsen.

Thx

@DaniC I would suggest you insert the USB drive into Windows and run these lines in an Admin command prompt

DiskPart to get up the command line tool to adjust partitions

List Disk to show a list of the all the partitions Windows can see, please note that yours will be different, so you need to find the one that matches closest to your USB drive capacity

Select Disk 1 (or whichever value represents your USB, take a picture if not sure, or see if it can even be seen!)

Be very careful now, the next command is destructive!!!  So you need to check 3x you are on the correct drive!

Clean this erases the partition table on that drive, dangerous if you selected the wrong drive.

Create Part Pri is short for Create Primary Partition to put on a partition you can format

Now you can check to see if you can see the drive in Windows Explorer

If you cannot, the type in Assign to have Windows give the new partition a drive letter, otherwise you can type in Exit to leave DiskPart

Diskpart.thumb.png.46dc5e45542037fe3c825f5d2a726dbf.png

If all goes well, you should now be able to format the USB drive (use whatever format you like)

623958708_FormatDrive.png.b4da85b66dbeaf75f45526303f156566.png

#varoom,

thx for trying help me. But it is not possible to do this action on this disk usb drive. I just tried. Win11 i MyPC even do not see. It is only possible to see disk in command promt bud it is not editable unfortunately. Please see picture.

Do you have maybe any other suggestions?

https://postimg.cc/dk1PXp70

thx

Edited by DaniC

2 minutes ago, DaniC said:

#varoom,

thx for trying help me. But it is not possible to do this action on this disk usb drive. I just tried. Win11 i MyPC even do not see. It is only possible to see disk in command promt bud it is not editable unfortunately. Please see picture.

Do you have maybe any other suggestions?

[url=https://postimg.cc/dk1PXp70][img]https://i.postimg.cc/dk1PXp70/disk-part.jpg[/img][/url]

thx

It's shows size as zero, I suspect it's a total loss at this point I'm afraid.

On disk I have few movies and few tv shows and when disk is inserted to amundsen it play audio from content and I can tranfer from one to enother contete and it can play audio. So I was thinking that if amundsen is the only device that can recognize disk that it maybe can and format it. Because of that recognition I was asking on what platform is working amundsen or what is operating sistem so maybe I can on PC instal similar OS and format usb disk.

Thx

Can you see the files on the TV still? 

If not, it sounds like you removed it before the files had been closed by the TV.

Chris

#CJJE,

yes you are right. It was pluged in tv and I just removed just like milion times before and after that last time it was locked and no other device axcept amundsen can not see it. All other devices do not recognized it but amundnsen see all files and can play them. The usb pen drive now is playeable only in car...?

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/01/2022 at 10:21, xerces8 said:

The GUI design is a bit weird, so maybe it is hidden somewhere. I'll check again alter.

On the main screen (the radio) there is a menu, but it has only one item: FM/DAB  (which gives a mix of FM and DAB stations).

(in case I select "FM only" in Settings, then the mentioned menu show "FM" or something like that)

In other words, the menu that I would expect to allow me to choose between different inputs is useless, as it only has one item.

On 04/01/2022 at 10:21, xerces8 said:

Thank you for your post, I’m also having trouble with my Amundsen Karoq facelift 2022, I can’t choose between dab or fm ! As you say the tab says DAB/fm but I can’t choose which,   so how do I tune into FM stations ?

On my MY21 car, you just press the Station List virtual button, then scroll down to see all the available stations, both DAB and FM. 

If you only wish to see FM stations, go into the Radio settings menu / advanced settings and then select see only FM instead of DAB and FM.

The radio settings also let you choose to step through all available stations by pressing the arrow 'buttons'. 

Note that the settings menu will also let you choose whether or not the radio will switch between DAB and FM transmissions for a station depending on which has the best signal.

And I think there is also a setting that allows you to see a manual frequency scale for FM so you can set the radio to a particular frequency (although I've never tried this). 

Finally, you can then save the desired radio station to a preset.

Chris

Edited by CJJE
  • Like 1