New VRS suspension

PSGVRS

3 hours ago, PSGVRS said:

Considering getting the new VRS. Do I need to spec DCC? I'm worried the standard ride will be ridiculously firm.

Well that depends on what you feel is firm and only a test drive will tell you. I have the facelift without DCC and love the ride and doing it better than my prefacelift vrs and the Leon FR I had. This is despite reviews saying how hard the ride was. I don’t like overly firm suspension either and it seems ride has been further improved. 

I would recommend that you go for 19" wheels too on the VRS as this makes a HUGE difference to the ride characteristics (having had a VRS with 18" wheels - terrible) and a 19" VRS - where the ride is lovely and far less crashy.

1 hour ago, varaderoguy said:

I would recommend that you go for 19" wheels too on the VRS as this makes a HUGE difference to the ride characteristics (having had a VRS with 18" wheels - terrible) and a 19" VRS - where the ride is lovely and far less crashy.

Agree. My 245 is on 19” and unless the roads are utterly trash it’s a really good ride to me

I’ve ordered a vrs and decided after a test drive to not bother with dcc after initially thinking it would be a must have. Coming from a Leon FR with the standard 17” wheels I thought the vrs on 19s was as smooth, if not more so so was happy to save the cash. Definitely go for a test if you can though as I guess these things depend on what your definition of firm is!

Thanks all. I'll be coming from a mk3 face-lift on 18's which is more than smooth enough for me, so I expect the standard 19s will be fine based on comments above. Sad to let the old one go. Best car I've ever owned but lease is up and no option to buy. Can't afford to faff around waiting for it to come up at auction either.. Still, great lease deals on new VRS right now.

• 3 weeks later...

I have mk4 vRS with DCC and I can say - totally worth it.
Comfort option is just amazingly soft with 19inch wheels.
But the best part is  - Individual mode where you just configure your chassis as you want (for example, soft comfort chassis but steering etc - sporty and so on) .

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Wonderloaf said:

Does DCC lower the car at all over standard suspension?

DCC is controlled damping (the shock absorber bit), it isn’t different springs

• 11 months later...

I’ve got Vrs on order, due sometime in the summer. Couldn’t stretch to the DCC after adding family things like tow bars and pan roof. I’m a bit nervous now having read quite a few people saying how great the DCC is. Im

coming from a MkIII Vrs TDI with passive set up - which has been fine. Has anyone got experience of driving MkIII & MkIV both passive. Would be interested to know how similar they are, softer, same or stiffer? Cheers. 

I picked up my Mk4 Vrs Tsi 245 Estate last week,I had the Mk3.5 Vrs Diesel for the previous 2 years without Dcc.I didnt spec it on the new car and like you was nervous and though I had made a mistake...the Mk4 is much better ride than the Mk3.5 imo,even in sport its fine,doent feel harsh to me.Less Road noise too,dont worry you'll love!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RSEire said:

I picked up my Mk4 Vrs Tsi 245 Estate last week,I had the Mk3.5 Vrs Diesel for the previous 2 years without Dcc.I didnt spec it on the new car and like you was nervous and though I had made a mistake...the Mk4 is much better ride than the Mk3.5 imo,even in sport its fine,doent feel harsh to me.Less Road noise too,dont worry you'll love!

Thanks for this - appreciate the response. I had a brief test drive and didn’t notice it being worse than our 64 plate which has been an awesome family car! Had to put a snap order in at the end of November before prices rose on the 1st Dec. So didn’t get our usual months of pre purchase research. We were sure we’d be buying a superb until we clocked a new Vrs in show room. 

I did enquire about a spec change, but warned off as we’d have to wear the price changes on everything and likely go to the back of the order queue, which apparently stands at 52 weeks plus now. We ordered based on 28-30 weeks. 

So I specced DCC on my VRS and it arrived a month ago. I have to say, the comfort setting on DCC gives a fantastic ride. Never wallowing but smooths out the bumps in the way my my 3.5 never did. Having said that, the normal ride is far smoother than the 3.5 too.

• Like 1

I didn't order DCC, because I might keep the car after the warranty and I might put lowering springs on it too, so it would be a waste of money and replacing DCC shocks after warranty is just expensive as hell.

Not to mention I plan to disable soundaktor via obdeleven and just always use the car in normal mode, never have to go into that screen. 

2 hours ago, zetzet said:

Not to mention I plan to disable soundaktor via obdeleven and just always use the car in normal mode, never have to go into that screen. 

Does it make noise on Normal mode?

Lucky us we can disable that feature now, either via app or adaptation on control module A9. In my case it's already disabled and no regrets. Now only movement to be done just after starting the car is switching off the start-stop.

On 15/01/2022 at 16:34, Browner said:

I’ve got Vrs on order, due sometime in the summer. Couldn’t stretch to the DCC after adding family things like tow bars and pan roof. I’m a bit nervous now having read quite a few people saying how great the DCC is. Im

coming from a MkIII Vrs TDI with passive set up - which has been fine. Has anyone got experience of driving MkIII & MkIV both passive. Would be interested to know how similar they are, softer, same or stiffer? Cheers. 

If it's not too late, cancel the pan roof and spec DCC, it's worth it.