Changing to 18" wheels on 1.4TSI Sportline.

Hi all, I wondered if anyone had made the change from the 19" wheels to 18" (235/40/19 to 235/45/18 which is -0.3% smaller, so at 70mph a diff of 0.2mph) . I reckon it would give me an extra 9mm of sidewall and might help the comfort on some of our worse roads. I can get a full set of 18" wheels with Michelin Primacy 4's on for about £300 more than putting a full set of Michelins on the 19" wheels. Anyone any knowledge of this, or driven an SE-L Executive on both 18" and 19" wheels and noticed a difference (I know the 19's were an option on the SE-L exec so it's possible). 

I love the car in every other way but the crashiness over larger road imperfections is the one thing i'd like to fix. 

I've got an SEL on 18s with the same tyre size you mention above. I swap onto 17 inch alloys for winter and the comfort difference between the two is lovely! It is perfectly comfy on 18s in my opinion but 17s make it next level! I'd imagine going from 19 to 18 would feel similar to my step down. 

• Like 2

Do you find the road holding any different will the change in size either way.  Gone from a lowered octavia with b6 shocks and 18s (225/40) to a passat gte stock suspension with 18s (235/45) and its so smooth but feel a little bit of unwanted body movement.  Getting cross climates on next week so hope some of it is in the crap tyres that came on it.

• Like 1

@MarkyG82 Was that question for me? If so, yes, it's a bit more 'sofa' like if that makes sense?! The winter tyres are obviously softer so they squirm more so that could what I feel more than anything. We've got a newborn on board now so it's very rare for me to test out the handling at the moment 😂 But I do go the long way when I go for the food shop unaccompanied!

• Like 2

@boydeeeit was aimed at anyone who wanted to answer but thanks.

We made do with the Octavia in its stiffened form for 2 years with the boy who is now 3 and a bit and a little lady who joined us in lockdown 1. The boy loved it and used to shout "faster daddy"! Not so much now with the new car but a couple of tweaks should help.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, boydeee said:

I've got an SEL on 18s with the same tyre size you mention above. I swap onto 17 inch alloys for winter and the comfort difference between the two is lovely! It is perfectly comfy on 18s in my opinion but 17s make it next level! I'd imagine going from 19 to 18 would feel similar to my step down. 

I assume your winter tyres are 235/50/17. If so that could well be what i'm looking for. That should make 9mm difference between the 18 and 17 which is the same as the difference between 19 and 18. 

I'm also looking into the Koni Active dampers as a possible change as well. Just trying to confirm that they fit the 1.4TSI. All the Ebay ads don't list them as fitting but Koni website seems to say they fit all except DCC and HD suspension. Pretty sure I haven;t got HEavy Duty and I definitely don't have DCC so at £500 the shocks may be the first thing to try. Does anyone know if aftermarket shocks count as a modification for insurance purposes?

• Like 1

There's no need to limit yourself to 17" or 18", when 16" will be the most comfy.

Notice also, that the 215/60R16 option is using 0.5" narrower rims than the 215/55R17 option...which also helps comfort.

215/60R16 has a load index of 95 (690kg) @ 44psi, whereas 235/40R19 has a load index of 92 (630kg) @ 44psi which means that the 215/60R16 tyre size can use about 3psi less tyre pressure than the 235/40R19 option.

Skoda Superb 2020 2.0 TDI
 Generation: 3V Restyling [2020 .. 2021]  
 Power: 148 hp | 110 kW | 150 PS 
 Engine: I4, Diesel
 Options: S, SE, SE L, SportLine Plus, Laurin &Klement
 Center Bore: 57.1 mm 
 Wheel Fasteners: Lug bolts 
 Thread Size: M14 x 1.5 
 Trim Production: [2020 .. 2020]
Tire 
Rim 
PCD 

215/60R16 95V 6.5Jx16 ET41 5x112  

215/55R17 94V 7Jx17 ET40 5x112 2.3 / 2.1

235/45ZR18 94W 8Jx18 ET44 5x112 2.4 / 2.2

235/40ZR19 96W 8Jx19 ET44 5x112 2.5 / 2.3

245/35ZR20 93Y 8.5Jx20 ET40 5x112 2.6 / 2.4

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/skoda/superb/2020/

If 215/60R16 sounds too skinny, then I would be perfectly happy on even skinnier non-standard 195/65R16 tyres fitted to 6J rims.

Michelin 195/65R16 92V Mercedes

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=6WUVOtGpqBidusOY.110.1773819873&sowigan=So&Breite=195&Quer=65&Felge=16&kategorie=6&Marke=Michelin&Herst=Michelin&m_s=3&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&Label=B-A-70-2&details=Ordern&typ=R-252162

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s8631p114095/Michelin_Tyres_Car_Michelin_Energy_Saver_-_195_65_R16_92V_(MO)_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_B_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_70dB

The entry level Renault 25 from the 1980s (which is a similar size to the Superb) had 155/80R14 tyres, so 195/65R16 is very wide by comparison.

Edited by Carlston

@Carlston. Why limit myself to 18"? One word. Aesthetics. In my opinion a  Sportline would look rodiculous on 16" rims and even 17" would be pushing it. If 18" and a possible change of shocks won't fix it then I'll just change it for a Seat Leon. I know a bit about suspension due to riding motorbikes where suspension settings are more important and mostly adjustable. On my partular bike a swap fro the rear shock from a different model transformed the handling and ride quality because the bike was originally made to fit a budegt, the replacement shock came of a sports bike and is a widely used mod on my particular model and much better quality. From that, I'm pretty sure that the Superb lacks damping, in both compression and rebound and something like the Koin active shocks perhaps with 18" tyres as well would keep the aesthetics while improving handling and comfort hopefully.  

10 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

I assume your winter tyres are 235/50/17. If so that could well be what i'm looking for. That should make 9mm difference between the 18 and 17 which is the same as the difference between 19 and 18. 

I'm also looking into the Koni Active dampers as a possible change as well. Just trying to confirm that they fit the 1.4TSI. All the Ebay ads don't list them as fitting but Koni website seems to say they fit all except DCC and HD suspension. Pretty sure I haven;t got HEavy Duty and I definitely don't have DCC so at £500 the shocks may be the first thing to try. Does anyone know if aftermarket shocks count as a modification for insurance purposes?

Perhaps you should price up all your tyre and damper options then contact your insurers, to check for any possible premium change or even policy cancellation. My last VRS was mapped but only after I had changed insurers, as my old insurers policy had a automatic cancellation clause for mapping. As for tyre noise, comfort and handling, after 12 years of VRS and admittedly brief, GTI ownership , all with 40 profile 18 & 19 wheels, I can say that 18" 235 45 tyres combined with Superb in DCC comfort or normal mode gives a more relaxing ride, DCC sport mode stiffens up the handling enough for positive handling on twisting roads at sensible (legal) speeds. The tyres are also quieter but that could be due more soundproofing in the Superb, the GTI tyre roar on 19s was louder than the VRS.

• Like 1

Having looked into this further, it seems that changing to aftermarket allow wheels will probably push insurance higher than replacing the stock dampers so I think the suspension route may be the best way to go. Possibly with a swap to Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetrics as and when Tyres are needed as they rate as a very comfortable tyre. 

• Confused 1

I never, ever put cheap rubber on my car. Tyres and brakes are the 2 things that are worth spending on. It probably carry's over from my motorcycle riding but I can't bring myself to buy anything but quality tyres. Not only do you benefit in grip and braking distances but they tend to last longer anyway so mostly negate the expense. I've looked further into this and it seems the overall cost would be less to keep the 19" wheels and fit Koni smart active dampers which should remove the crashiness on larger road imperfections which is my main criteria. On good roads the car is perfectly comfortable but it suffers with the Skoda jostle when the road is uneven (never driven a Skoda so far that doesn't do that) and knowing what I do about suspension (a fair bit due to motorcycle riding) I reckon the Koni's should improve it enough and have minimal insurance impact compared to aftermarket alloys. 

Edited by dazedandconfused
  • Confused 1

Has anyone clarified if a straight swap of aftermarket shocks (B6, koni active) need notification to insurance company?

When I did my B6 I claimed for sport suspension which includes lower springs as I knew I'd go the whole hog anyway and they were happy with that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

I never, ever put cheap rubber on my car.

who talked about cheap rubber?

there were comparison between different inches -

price for same brand/model will be cheaper

• Like 4

@dazedandconfused 

i was a bit confused when you posted about 'aftermarket alloy wheels'  as that was not mentioned up to that point, just changing the size of the alloys.

EDIT.

Sorry i take it that was what you were meaning with the prices you mentioned for wheels and tyres.

(Maybe buying used wheels as you find advertised in Briskoda and getting a refurb of them if needed is worth considering.)

The same with 'cheap rubber', nobody mentioned that until you did.

Just check if changing wheels that are OEM for the car or 'aftermarket ones' will affect your insurance costs. 

What will then let you know rather than thinking that it probably will increase your insurance.

If your insurer does not like Modifications or will not cover cars with modifications there are plenty that will cover them and that does not automatically mean an increased premium.

Maybe when your policy is due for renewal is the best time to shop around for new insurance and there are Sponsors for Briskoda in the Insurance section that might quote you happy.

PS

Re Michelin Primacy 4. 

(ECO tyres really that are not priced as Budget tyres but might well have worse behaviour than cheapos..)

My e-Corsa which is likely as heavy or heavier than your Octavia and is FWD came fitted with Primacy 4 in 205/45 R 17.

They were total crap & traction control was flashing like a politician out for a walk in the park, and were changed to Michelin CrossClimates which were much better in the wet or damp and even the dry.  (The Media Launch car i had driven had Michelin Pilot Sport fitted which were rather good.)

Just now the CrossClimates are off the car and i have Michelin Alpin 6 tyres on for the winter.

Edited by e-Roottoot

Ah,

tyres that cost less because they are less expensive sizes but still the same brand, type and rubber quality.

People need to remember that the top brand named manufacturers can still produce tyres that are not inexpensive to purchase but are rubbish to drive with.

Bridgestone Duellers being a case in point IME.

3 hours ago, MartiniB said:

who talked about cheap rubber?

there were comparison between different inches -

price for same brand/model will be cheaper

The way digifish worded it looked like he was suggesting cheaper rubber for some reason.  That's the way I read it.  @ e-Roottoot digifish mentioned it before I did which is why I responded the way I did. 

I've already checked with insurance and aftermarket alloys will increase the insurance cost. I'm not really interested in saving on tyres, this was never about that but I don't particularly wan't to give my insurance company excuses to increase that because it just complicates things for the years I Will keep the car. I also don't want to go to 17" wheels as, in my opinion, they will look wrong on a Sportline.  As I said in previous post, it looks like shock absorbers is going to be the better way to go. Initial outlay will be less, shouldn't affect insurance, should fix the issue that i'm looking to fix. 

That's what i'm going to look into as soon as I can actually use it and I have the money ready. (No point doing it yet, I'm in tier 4 so I don't go anywhere!) 

Indeed I was just making the point. The larger the Inner Diameter of tyres is, the more expensive they get. Manufacturers know they can charge more for less rubber, since the larger the rim size, the more modern and 'sport' oriented the car it's likely to be on...and so they jack up the prices.

17" in the same model tyre will be less than a 19"

4 hours ago, digifish said:

Indeed I was just making the point. The larger the Inner Diameter of tyres is, the more expensive they get. Manufacturers know they can charge more for less rubber, since the larger the rim size, the more modern and 'sport' oriented the car it's likely to be on...and so they jack up the prices.

17" in the same model tyre will be less than a 19"

That's fair enough. although I have found another snag with going to 17". I'd like to use Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric tryes if I was going to change (Not as expensive as Michelin and get very good reviews), however, while they do make them in both the 18" and 19" sizes, they don't make them in either 235/50/17 or 215/55/17 which seem to be the suitable sizes for a Superb.  You're absolutely right about prices though, the 18" is £25 cheaper than the 19". Not always true though, I have come accross situations where the larger diameter tyre was cheaper because the 18" version was an odd size so not as common. I assume they charge more if they only do small production runs compared to popular sizes. 

10 minutes ago, dazedandconfused said:

That's fair enough. although I have found another snag with going to 17". I'd like to use Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric tryes if I was going to change (Not as expensive as Michelin and get very good reviews), however, while they do make them in both the 18" and 19" sizes, they don't make them in either 235/50/17 or 215/55/17 which seem to be the suitable sizes for a Superb.  You're absolutely right about prices though, the 18" is £25 cheaper than the 19". Not always true though, I have come accross situations where the larger diameter tyre was cheaper because the 18" version was an odd size so not as common. I assume they charge more if they only do small production runs compared to popular sizes. 

Yes the same brand / type of tyre can vary considerably for different sizes.

The uncommon sizes fitted to bigger wheels can be £20-40 more per tyre.   But a common larger size can be less, so it is obviously volume based pricing.

The other thing, is that the uncommon size will be harder to get, fewer companies will bother to stock it (or if they do might only be in one central warehouse) so will often take 3-7 days if you want to buy one.  Not great if you have emergency spare fitted and need to make decent journey.

7 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

Had a puncture two years ago - went in to a tyre place in Winchester (08:15 am) who didn't have one in stock, the tyre was delivered to them by 11:00 and fitted by 1pm when I went back to collect the wheel.  Most tyre places don't carry stock but have very good logistics.

On the subject of cheap tyres when I went back the guy in front of me in the queue was pricing tyres for his 3 series and his wife's X3, for four tyres one was £1600 and the other £2400 - mine was £160 for one! 

Goodyear DO list an Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 235/47R17 on their website - Goodyear.eu though finding a supplier might be difficult.  Wife once had an Audi A2 on Michelins and looking for a matching tyre everyone said "we can get one for tomorrow" but no-one could, it was such an odd size (185/50 R16 IIRC, skinny and low profile) that there were none in the country.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IJWS15 said:

Had a puncture two years ago - went in to a tyre place in Winchester (08:15 am) who didn't have one in stock, the tyre was delivered to them by 11:00 and fitted by 1pm when I went back to collect the wheel.  Most tyre places don't carry stock but have very good logistics.

On the subject of cheap tyres when I went back the guy in front of me in the queue was pricing tyres for his 3 series and his wife's X3, for four tyres one was £1600 and the other £2400 - mine was £160 for one! 

Goodyear DO list an Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 235/47R17 on their website - Goodyear.eu though finding a supplier might be difficult.  Wife once had an Audi A2 on Michelins and looking for a matching tyre everyone said "we can get one for tomorrow" but no-one could, it was such an odd size (185/50 R16 IIRC, skinny and low profile) that there were none in the country.

235/47/17? That's a very odd size.  If you meant 235/45/17 then that gains nothing over the 18" and is too far out on size as the correct equivalent should be 235/50/17 (They're 235/40/19 stock). Technically, a 235/51/17 would be the exact same diameter :biggrin: