High Mileage Superbs

Mine just broke the 400,000 km mark during the week, its a 2005 1.9Tdi AVF 130 Auto Elegance top Irish spec car, I have owned it since 2012 and put 250,000 km of those on it, though a lot less per week in the last year with covid lockdowns!

Its had the usual water ingress issues, door locks replaced, rebuilt the alternator, a couple of cv joints each side, shocks all round, full suspension arms up front, multiple tie rod ends, heater core leaking which was a dash out job to replace not difficult just time consuming and help needed to do it. I have had the egr and intake off to clean them out but everything on the engine is still original.

Reverse started slipping around the 200k mark and just after I had replaced the fluid, so I have lived with it that way since and not changed the fluid since, just careful where i park avoiding having to reverse up inclines etc, I think its the reverse drum issue but i am not spending 1500 to fix it and will drive it till its unusable, all forward gear changes are smooth and no issues.

Used car prices are going up here with the import tax changes following Brexit so I think I will run it on till till its demise, with their weak points addressed and the 1.9tdi 130 engine they will go a long time, considering it is almost a 30 year old design originating with the B5 Passat in the 90s .

I know a lot of the old heads on here have moved on to greener pastures but who else has a high mileage superb still working away daily?

Great post. Good to hear the old Superb is looking after you with 400k on the clock. :) I still think the Mk1 Superb is a good looking motor and has aged very well IMHO.

5 minutes ago, gfinneran said:

just careful where i park avoiding having to reverse up inclines etc,

:D Reminds me of when the starter motor was on the blink in Trirumph Dolomite years ago. Had to park on a slope, which can be harder than it sounds in Suffolk!

• Like 1

Hi, I drive a Superb MK2 2.0 170BHP Elegance Hatchback with 128,000 mils but it's a baby compared to 400,000km, I bought mine after my son bought a MK1 and I liked the car, yesterday his flew through it's immissions test with 206,000 miles on it, not even a hint of any problems, garage engineer said it's engine is one brittiant engine mounted length-ways in the Superb because it cools properly, same engine in a Golf mounted traversly is done by about 160,000 miles because the rear of the engine never cools properly/ I'll take  his word for it :-) 

• 5 months later...

Have a 2006 2.0TDI BSS Elegance here on 272,000 miles. DPF long removed and oil pump replaced a couple of times by previous owner. Car is driving perfectly with a few small issues - puff of blue smoke now and again when taking off, typical interior lights stopped working along with boot light etc pulled the carpet back and the wires are damp and some blue corrosion. Looks like someone has already been in there before. Bodywork isn't in the best shape either, but the car is driving perfectly and still in great shape inside, impressive considering most of the miles are taxi miles. It has been remapped recently too and now pulls really well.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/01/2021 at 16:45, Maddog43 said:

Hi, I drive a Superb MK2 2.0 170BHP Elegance Hatchback with 128,000 mils but it's a baby compared to 400,000km, I bought mine after my son bought a MK1 and I liked the car, yesterday his flew through it's immissions test with 206,000 miles on it, not even a hint of any problems, garage engineer said it's engine is one brittiant engine mounted length-ways in the Superb because it cools properly, same engine in a Golf mounted traversly is done by about 160,000 miles because the rear of the engine never cools properly/ I'll take  his word for it :-) 

The slight problem is your mkII Superb is transverse, it's only the mkI that's "length wise". All good though the 2.0 170 CR diesel is a cracker.

My previous 2003 mk I is still mechanically going strong under new ownership with well over 250k miles now. Rust starting to be an issue though.

Edited by bigjohn

Hi bigjohn, I agree with you my MKII is transverse, I was talking about my son's Mk1 that now has 225,000 miles on it and still running like a dream :-) Hope my engine does as many miles :-)

On 05/08/2021 at 14:57, Maddog43 said:

Hi bigjohn, I agree with you my MKII is transverse, I was talking about my son's Mk1 that now has 225,000 miles on it and still running like a dream :-) Hope my engine does as many miles :-)

Hi, I realised that. I only mentioned re the life of your MKII , however I think your engine should be robust although if a manual keep an eye on the clutch. There have been some issues with the Sachs pressure plate falling apart and damaging the gearbox casing.

I loved my previous mkI even though it was only the 100ps 1.9pd. It was a fantastic continental cruiser. I do like my mkII but I always preferred the suspension/ride comfort of the mkI. Saying that my petrol mkII is somewhat quieter and economy not that much worse than it's diesel predecessor.

However re the theme of this thread I doubt I'll achieve the starship mileage of some of the mkI's - especially compared to the 1.9. My next-door neighbour has a 2003 1.9pdAudi Avant that looks mechanically identical to my old mkI Superb 1.9 pd that's now nearly 400 k miles and running well.

Edited by bigjohn