Fabia III DSG - is the 1.2 or 1.0 81TSI better?

I'm looking to replace my current car with a lightly used Fabia III with DSG, and am trying to decide between the older 1.2 or the newer 1.0 81TSI engine.

As far as I've read, the 1.2 has a wider torque band than the 1.0, but this may be less of an issue with the gearbox keeping it in the optimal rev range. The 1.0 is supposedly more fuel efficient and more torquey at the same time, but I'm not sure how it compares in real world driving.

Also, is the gearbox tuned differently between the two engines? People seem to say that the 1.2 has hesitation at take-off/low speed, but has it been improved with the 1.0?

If people have driven these cars with DSG, I'd appreciate any input/comparison/recommendation.

The 1.0tsi will be newer so that is a plus and many say stuff about DQ200 DSG,s and hesitations but this is either their driving or maybe some demonstrator or used car that had sat about for a while and needs driven and it will behave just fine unless faulty.

Thanks for the feedback - I was thinking about the 1.0 what with it being newer, but being newer does mean that there tends to be fewer for sale and are a bit more expensive.

I've read a few threads like Technical discussion: 1.2 TSI vs 1.0 TSI and Fabia 1.0TSI 110PS DSG Monte Carlo Mini-Review and it seems that opinions are pretty divided between the two engines.

So far I've driven a 2015 1.2 estate and a 2020 1.0 hatchback and thought the 1.0 was more responsive and cooperated better with the DSG, but I'm not sure if maintenance or condition was a factor.

I'm more than happy with my 1.2 Tsi DSG. It performs well, especially when I occasionally use the \dsg Sports Mode. There's a noticeable improvement in performance if you use Super Unleaded (98 RON) compared to standard unleaded (95 RON). And the 7-speed DSG has been absolutely no problem: still as smooth and fast after 5 Years.

My previous car was a 1.2 Fabia with the DSG gearbox.  The engine was fine although the DSG clutch pack was replaced under warranty when the car was 15 months old.  I now have an Octavia with the 1.0 litre engine although it is a manual.  The engine is fine even though the car is much bigger.  Nippy enough and runs very quietly.  If I had to choose, I would go for the 1.0 litre engine although road tax in the UK is more expensive as the car is newer.  Either way, both the 1.2  and 1.0 are good engines in my experience. 

On 26/01/2021 at 18:41, e-Roottoot said:

@TerFar no filling stations in the UK sell 98 Ron so you must be running on 97 Ron or 99.

I actually couldn't remember whether it was 97 or 99, so hence 98! Does it matter. 

@TerFar

It matters just a little,   (Then the OP is in Australia and the fuel choices are different from in the UK)

are you noticing the difference with 97 octane or with 99 octane or does it not matter and either does the job better than the 95 ron.

They should, they can, but an Ex Tech who is a member on here said he was involved in testing and it made no difference with a 1.0TSI.  That was a weird thing though.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/469546-10-tsi-premium-fuel

Edited by e-Roottoot

So I had a chance to test drive a 2016 1.2 hatchback, and I thought that although the engine felt smooth, it didn't have the same low-speed pickup that I felt in the 1.0 and made the car feel a bit heavier. Once it got up to speed it was nice to drive, but I think I prefer the 1.0 given I mostly drive in the city.

The DSG in this 1.2 felt nice and responsive unlike the one in the 1.2 estate I'd driven earlier, so that one probably had a dodgy gearbox.

With the 1.0 engine, was the GPF introduced at the same time as the facelift, and would it make any difference to the performance?

I have a 2018 Octavia with the 1.0 engine.  It has a GPF unfortunately and I believe it was fitted from around September 2018 (maybe a little earlier).  I would imagine that the Fabia had the GPF fitted from around the same time.  I don't think performance has been affected.

I've owned both engines in the Fabia,both dsg.

I prefer the 1.0 which has surprised me.

It feels  better somehow and more responsive.