Wrong springs fitted?

Afternoon all 

Quick question as I'm a bit confused ! My local garage has fitted some new shocks and springs to my Octavia  MK2 vrs FL TDI estate . It was banging loads on any potholes and scraping speed bumps when I had people in the back ! So I asked him to fit stock type for vrs back on thinking the gap between top of the tyre and wheel arch wouldn't be too bad . When I got the car back it looks like its a 4x4 . The shocks he fitted where KYB ultra SR (354006) which when I search online seem to be compatible with the car but with the springs again KYB RH7021 I get different online spares companies tell me it's either compatible or not compatible ! I rang KYB tech support and he said that they are correct for my car so I'm really not sure ! For me the gap is huge unless I'm used to seeing lowered but in my mind I can't remember seeing a vrs with such a gap before ? Will attach a pic in a bit showing the gap any help or info greatly appreciated as I don't know much about these things lol 

IMG_20210126_140521.jpg

IMG_20210126_140536.jpg

It doesn't look out of place to me, the rake looks correct other than the fronts look to be a little low perhaps increasing it.

They will settle.

Just now, J.R. said:

It doesn't look out of place to me, the rake looks correct other than the fronts look to be a little low perhaps increasing it.

They will settle.

Evening ! The fronts I haven't changed yet just wanted some opinions before I change the rear back to something lower! Not massively but just abit

To be fair I am not a VRS afficianado & dont drive lowered vehicles or have large diameater wheels with low profile tyres, I am more use to putting uprated springs on for towing & carrying heavy loads.

To me yours looks a little too low at the back for a stock Octavia with good springs so I am guessing its about right for a VRS, by comparison the front looks low but maybe it is the back thats too high, knowing how much they drop with weight in the rear yours looks like it would be on the bump stops with 3 rear passengers and luggage in the rear.

The acid test is recreating the scenarios you described which prompted the parts replacement, if it has fixed the matter consider it a fix.

5 hours ago, dolmioboy said:

Evening ! The fronts I haven't changed yet just wanted some opinions before I change the rear back to something lower! Not massively but just abit

KYB RH7021 is the correct standard rear spring for the Skoda Octavia MK2 estate. It matches OEM part number 1K0511115BT.

The gap is correct for an unladen car. Try taking another photo with 2 fat mates (200kg) sitting in the back and 50kg of luggage. That's an extra quarter of a tonne pushing down on the rear springs.

The car is set up so that it can cope with a full load and perhaps towing a caravan as well.

The reason that it doesn't look right, is because you still have the lowered front springs on.

The low profile tyres doesn't look right for the car. Being a VRS with 340mm front discs you will need at least 17" wheels to clear the front brake calipers.

Try 205/50R17 tyres on 6.5J rims, or 225/45R17 tyres on 7J rims to better match the new look.

Edited by Carlston

That looks ok for the standard springs on the rear of a VRS. Our hatch was like that until it was lowered on an H+R -50 cup kit.

What springs are on the front? Are they lowering springs? If standard originals it may just be that they have settled over time.

1 hour ago, FatblokeVRS said:

That looks ok for the standard springs on the rear of a VRS. Our hatch was like that until it was lowered on an H+R -50 cup kit.

What springs are on the front? Are they lowering springs? If standard originals it may just be that they have settled over time.

I'm the 2nd owner and got the car from a Skoda dealership . It's definitely been lowered and its only the rear I've changed atm . I'm seriously considering getting the eibach springs that lower it 20mm I know it's not alot but for me that would be a good compromise between the old springs and the new ones fitted on the rear . I'm no expert but I can't see the rears settling that much more hopefully someone can put me right 

8 hours ago, dolmioboy said:

I'm the 2nd owner and got the car from a Skoda dealership . It's definitely been lowered and its only the rear I've changed atm . I'm seriously considering getting the eibach springs that lower it 20mm I know it's not alot but for me that would be a good compromise between the old springs and the new ones fitted on the rear . I'm no expert but I can't see the rears settling that much more hopefully someone can put me right 

Once you've driven around the block they have settled into place. One guy waited 10 years for his springs to settle, but they never did.

This Russia Skoda Rapid uses 15mm higher (off-road) suspension, as Russian roads are so bad. It looks like it is jacked up, as the gaps between the top of the tyres and the wheelarches are so big.

https://www.skoda-avto.ru/

Gaps are good. It means that there is room for the wheels to go up and down.

Edited by Carlston

wait ..you've got lowered springs on the front with old/worn shocks and std in the rear with new shocks? that's going to have some strange handling characteristics 

I think you've answered your own question as to why it looks so different 

Edited by Gissin

21 minutes ago, Gissin said:

wait ..you've got lowered springs on the front with old/worn shocks and std in the rear with new shocks? that's going to have some strange handling characteristics 

I think you've answered your own question as to why it looks so different 

New shocks and springs on the back yes . And I know I need to get the front end sorted out next few weeks. I was asking if it looked high at the back for a Skoda vrs as they weren't Skoda parts fitted . KYB parts were put on and obviously the front still being lower doesn't help I agree . Handling wise it seems ok haven't ragged it about lol

yeah the contrast between the front and the back will make the arch gap more apparent.

as above new springs / shocks will take a little while to settle into their correct ride height and over time will start to reduce slightly as the dampening/spring rates reduce. 

to answer your question, yes this looks about the correct ride height  for a standard vRS  the Octavia's have always had quite large arch gaps for a 'sport' version 

Edited by Gissin

On 27/01/2021 at 14:03, dolmioboy said:

As far as I remember, the VRS is 15mm lower than standard models. We put the H+R -50mm cup kit on and it was lowered an actual 35mm. When they specify a lowering measurement, it is usually taken from the standard suspension height.

Maybe best putting new shocks on the front too and a full set of matched lowered springs (or normal VRS height springs) all round. Different makes may give different handling.

Edited by FatblokeVRS

• 2 years later...