Winter roads, ice, snow and wet or dry driving in an EV..

Ootohere

Just so good.  Getting into an already warmed car, or if not pre warmed they are quick to heat.  With the right tyres fitted and the ability to chose less power and regen braking they can drive very well on winter roads.   No concerns about just doing short trips or the car sitting unused for a while as many are having with their ICE vehicles.   It is just as case of being sure there is a charge in the car, and obviously they are not going to fully discharge. 

• Like 2

It's the perfect control of wheel that makes it so good. As long as there's a tiny bit of grip, the EV can crawl by moving the wheel VERY VERY slowly. No electronics or clutch messing up the grip, your input is directly translated to the motor which is always connected to the wheel. 

I have Crossclimate on my Skoda diesel because I was stuck in snow in 2017/18 winter. Although different location, the Leaf in budget summer tyres were able to slowly drive up slopes other cars cannot. 

Then there's idling. TeslaBjorn recently did a video showing Model 3 can maintain comfortable temperature in the car for almost 70 hours at -3c. If the car uses 0.7/hr in fuel, the Skoda Octavia can only idle 64 hours with 45 litre of fuel. Also got to remember with EV, you can turn off the car and turn back on when needing heat, whereas if you do it with ICE cars, you need to wait for engine to warm up, wasting fuel. 

• Like 2

A pat on the back if you can tell us which road she is driving on with the unusual road marking. 

(I can tell you where it is if you are interested)

I wonder if she had switched the Lane keeping assist off.

DSCN5746.JPG

Edited by e-Roottoot

1 hour ago, e-Roottoot said:

BMW 330e, charging AC,

a 2020 car.

PHEV charging 3.7kW on a 50kW rapid charger? So typical PHEV drivers......

The car isn't rapid charging capable so shouldn't be using that rapid charger! 

Lucky for you the charger can charge AC and DC at the same time and the cable just about reaches. 

• Like 1

It weights loads, about the lightest kerb weight given for a Superb

but you you never know that until you try jumping yumps or you lose traction and it starts going sideways.

260 Nm torque means more than the 136 ps when you are putting the accelerator down.

The suspension is firm but really rather good and the car corners flat.

DSCN5595.JPG

DSCN5604.JPG

DSCN5606.JPG

Edited by e-Roottoot

The wipers are not ideal as they push snow below their park area and then stop working until you stop and clear underneath to let them do full sweeps.

Otherwise it keeps on moving while AWD's on the wrong tyres are sip sliding around and getting pushed, some even on flat ground.

DSCN5760.JPG

• Like 1

On 08/02/2021 at 13:59, SuperbTWM said:

How much does it weigh? I suspect the extra weight makes it a lot better than a typical ICE corsa with a tiny engine

Weight is your enemy when driving on ice and snow, the lighter the car the better.

7 minutes ago, Westbury63 said:

Weight is your enemy when driving on ice and snow, the lighter the car the better.

I agree in some cases being very heavy can be a disadvantage but in my experience mid size saloons/estates are a lot better on Ice and snow in general than smaller, lighter cars.

5 minutes ago, SuperbTWM said:

I agree in some cases being very heavy can be a disadvantage but in my experience mid size saloons/estates are a lot better on Ice and snow in general than smaller, lighter cars.

It depends on the car and more importantly, the tyres.  Back in the early 80's when I was pretty broke, I drove around in a Fiat Panda.  I remember it would go pretty much anywhere.  I'd park it in drifts at the side of the road and drive off again without any problem. 

Equally, a few years later, my BX would go pretty much anywhere on its standard Michelins.   

EPSON002.jpeg

Edited by Schtum
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, SuperbTWM said:

I would disagree. In my experience, the lighter the car, narrower tyres and the less power all the better. That said though, I've yet to get stuck in any snow or ice I've driven on in the last 31yrs. Technique is by far and away the most important part. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Schtum said:

It depends on the car and more importantly, the tyres.  Back in the early 80's when I was pretty broke, I drove around in a Fiat Panda.  I remember it would go pretty much anywhere.  I'd park it in drifts at the side of the road and drive off again without any problem. 

Equally, a few years later, my BX would go pretty much anywhere on its standard Michelins.   

EPSON002.jpeg

Agreed. My Citroen 2CV and Dyane were unstoppable in snow. High ground clearance and 30bhp are ideal.

• Like 1

For about 6 winters i used my Picanto 68ps Auto on Avon Ice Touring if not driving a Jimny as a daily in town or out and about.

It drove pretty much as a Mini must have in the Monte Carlo rally or anyplace else in snow. (Better heater and brakes though & an OD button on the shifter.)

If a car is going to slide it is nice if it is lighter IME.

Light cars can still get traction on the correct tyres, as can heavy, but shifting a lighter car is much easier if they do get stuck.

A Fabia Mk2 vRS with winter tyres is pretty good in snow due to the DSG and not much need to use the brakes to reduce speed.

5a981884cecad_Burnsnightmorning019.JPG.eaf2544ef65b813683f1ec76726405ff.jpeg

599890e9a86d9_OldFlabioDaisyJan2014004.JPG.209dfa384c7d2e595acb31690a30f314.jpeg

DSC00180.jpg.952b9ab0d619291f13cbf6e07f7028a1.jpg

DSCN3850.JPG.8b13c666470fe3e0d6deb81e5964bd95.jpeg

Edited by e-Roottoot

Minus 16 where my car was parked and no pre heating.  2 miles driven and at a public Rapid 50kW charger where it is minus 12.   Battery was at 50% charge. After 30 minutes charging it has got to charging at 52 mph and battery showing 64%.    Remember this is how it can be when you see road testers / reviewers saying a PSA EV can charge at 100kW and that equates to getting 500 miles range in an hour or some such crap.    First you might need a lovely ambient temp and then an actual Rapid Charger and fingers crossed and legs crossed if there is no place to go get a pee.    If there is someplace to get that pee then maybe you will drink your nice warm drink you brought with you or went and bought.

Edited by e-Roottoot

I have to agree light and low power cars are good in the snow. Our Citigo on standard Bridgestone Ecopia tyres was tripping about almost without issue last time we had decent snow. The Seat Leon ST 1.6Tdi DSG on standard Hankooks we had struggled on the hills, a lot. The Karoq 4x4 has handled everything we have thrown at it, but it never saw snow on the standard Bridgestone summer tyres.... it wears Bridgestone WeatherControls now.

I have to admit that I have some reservations about a heavy RWD EV in snow, especially as I'll just run  the standard tyres until they wear out. We only get a dump of snow rarely and our road into the village is regularly gritted, so I'm risking it. If the ID.4 proves to be useless in snow, we have the Citigo as backup.

• Like 1

@Luckypants

A pair of Snow Socks on the rear will be ideal for around town or village if there is no blacktop road about.

The past few days there are so many about my area that could have done with using a pair even if just to get moved from the roadside.

I am never surprised at drivers that do not understand if they can not reverse or go forward a few feet where they are at the kerbside with the steering straight then trying to get out to the road over the snow or frozen snow is a waste of time.

If somebody is really stuck i will stop and help and put Snow Socks on their drive wheels if they want a help.

If they are outside their house and have not de-iced the car or shovelled some snow to get moving i do not bother helping.

(There are some exceptions to that obviously..... Like maybe a cuppa and a warm up could get offered.)

DSCN3136.JPG.88cc411f936ee4ebffd08884229a87c6.JPG.cb5bc46aa51792465da7ddcc0855071f.jpeg

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...