Poor fuel consumption wth my 2.0TDI 150 DSG

Hi,

Got a octavia estate 2.0TDI DSG 150hp about 2 years ago, and I have not been satisfied with the fuel consumption.
Its always been a bit higher then i have expected it to be but its just terrible att the moment.

I have been driving 20km/day this week, same stretch every day and its had an average of 6.6l/100km or 35mpg. Ive been driving it as light as i can and on back roads it does about 5.4-5.5l/100km or 42mpg, but as soon as i enter the motorway it start to climb fast!
On the motorway it does 6-7l/100km or 30-40mpg at speeds around 110-120km/h. No load on the car.

My dad have got a -17 octavia with same engine but the euro-6 engine and not estate while mine is the euro-5 engine, and it does about 4.7l/100km or 50+mpg or even better on the same stretch.

I get that might have less drag as mine is an estate and his have the updated eu-6 engine but my old 07 octavia 2.0RSTDI 170 estate did about 5.6l/100km or 42mpg on motorway, wich is way less then the octy 3 i have now, and its bugging me real hard.

Any advice on what might be causing it or is it just the way they are? Tirepressure is correct and alignment is done.

You don't give the age of the car, total mileage of it, any service history. If it's high mileage with little servicing and an older car, then problems could be accumulating. If the car's only 2-3 years old and serviced correctly, that's good.

Does a diesel motor even get warmed up properly in just a 10 Km drive each time? I'm not sure if these have DPF filters, I suspect others will confirm. This will need more than a short, slow drive to activate a regeneration to reduce the ash content.

Look on some VW forums to see if this common engine gets posted about for poor economy reasons.

Alternatively it may be doing too many DPF regenerations! :

"Re: Vw Golf Mk7 2.0 tdi bluemotion 150 ps 2013/2014
This looks as if the engine is doing a normal DPF forced regeneration. The normal idling revs are 800rpm , when regeneration is in progress it idles faster at 1000rpm. During regeneration the ECU deliberately wastes fuel to heat up the exhaust gas to burn off carbon in the DPF. This results in a temporary period of high fuel consumption. You may also notice the cooling fan continues to run after the ignition is turned off to cool down the hot DPF."

see here VWAudiforum

DPF Regen Sticky post

I missed that 20km/day bit.  Thought it was /trip.  10km or 6 miles per trip is not enough for this engine.  You need at least a 30-60 minute blast every week or 2 to get it clear.  The dpf will be clogged up in no time.

Thanks for replies! 

Sorry see that I forgot to add some info after editing the text.. 

It's a 2014 with 120000kms on it. 

Serviced as it should, I'm the 2nd owner and we live a bit outside town and the shortest trip we do is 9kms when picking up kids but we regularly do longer trips where it's at least 20-30 minutes of motorway driving and about 35kms one way. 

When it's colder outside we usually let the diesel parking heater run at least 30mins before we go so it's quite quick to get to temp.

It has DPF but never had the light come in, it does regenerate as i know the smell and it usually let the cooler fan run after its parked if a regeneration has been done and it's warmer than normal. 

We've had 4 octavias with 2.0tdi and DPF since 2009 in the family and those have never had any issues, even though have been driven much shorter on daily basis. 

Shi*t, sorry, meant 200km a day, 100km per trip, not 20km/day. 

We in Sweden usually use the measurement of mil which is 1mil = 10kms, that's why I missed a 0..

Seeing as how the car is quite old I take it you have had it checked for error codes (malfunctioning sensors, injectors etc), that brakes are not binding or any fuel leaks?

Assuming that those things have been checked and it appears to be running ok then it may just be a 'lemon', a car that never actually got good consumption from new. They do occur (ask me how I know, and it was not a Skoda) and the dealers are particularly unhelpful even when the car is new.

How well does actual consumption (distance travelled against refuelling quantity) match up with the display (average since refuel)?

Edited by Gerrycan

That’s similar consumption I’m getting in a 4x4 estate vrs so I would say something is off. My journeys are a lot shorter with COVID at the moment as well

edited to add I use windscreen heater, supplementary heater, heated seats, heated mirrors (all the things that make the little bar go up) But I do drive straight off normally and accept it uses more in winter

Edited by Powerred