Traffic Sign Recognition Issue

Hi all,

I used OBDeleven to activate Traffic Sign Recognition today on my 2017 FL Octavia VRS. Everything went fine and it's both now on my dashboard and all options are in the infotainment menu. However, it just displays the speed limits given by the built in sat nav, whereas I was under the impression it should use my lane assist camera to read the speed limits. Is it possible my instructions missed something off? I followed a step by step video found on YouTube (albeit for a VW but I'm led to believe it's the same). https://youtu.be/GnBqikSWlUw

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

After doing my commute this morning I found the system does detect speed signs but has dropped the pre loaded sat nav speeds. Also, it only displays after passing a sign. So when you leave a 40 and hit the national speed limit sign I get nothing displayed?

I also get an error saying “Dynamic road sign display currently restricted” after driving a short distance but clears once ignition is cycled.

12 hours ago, flybynite said:

Have a read of THIS thread to get a bit of background

What hardware do you have?

I have an Amundsen infotainment unit and lane assist camera?

When I get home from work at the weekend I’ll try going through each step again and make sure I didn’t miss anything, I’m pretty sure I didn’t but you never know. 

On 04/02/2021 at 09:40, teamt84 said:

After doing my commute this morning I found the system does detect speed signs but has dropped the pre loaded sat nav speeds. Also, it only displays after passing a sign. So when you leave a 40 and hit the national speed limit sign I get nothing displayed?

I also get an error saying “Dynamic road sign display currently restricted” after driving a short distance but clears once ignition is cycled.

You will not get anything after leaving a limit into a national limit, it is up to you to know the national limit on that road, as in 60mph/70mph. Mine sometimes does not pick up the end of limit and can be driving on the M5 with the speed limit showing at 30mph/40mph.

Edited by rogerdyer

30 minutes ago, flybynite said:

I thought it did not work with Amundsen/Discover only Columbus/Discover Pro?

TSR works perfectly with my Amundsen (MIB2.5) :)

Well, aside from it thinking some stretches of dual carriageway are 60 rather than 70...

19 hours ago, langers2k said:

TSR works perfectly with my Amundsen (MIB2.5) :)

Must have changed with the MIB 2.5 as I thought the Amundsen and below did not have the 'fusion mode' setting.

Works as advertised on my MIB2 Columbus

Not really played with a 2.5 as my HEX+CAN is not up to newer cars and don't really trust OBDeleven for coding although I do use it for VIM

Must get round to getting a HexNet one day

The fusion mode is a setting in the A5 front facing camera rather than the headunit :)

It also worked as expected with a MIB STD2 PQ Amundsen (from a Yeti) with an appropriate camera in my MK2 Octavia.

I think it's only the Bolero and below (non satnav) that can't deal with fusion mode.

2 hours ago, langers2k said:

The fusion mode is a setting in the A5 front facing camera rather than the headunit :)

It also worked as expected with a MIB STD2 PQ Amundsen (from a Yeti) with an appropriate camera in my MK2 Octavia.

I think it's only the Bolero and below (non satnav) that can't deal with fusion mode.

My experience is only from the early days of doing it (in the thread I linked to above) and I remember people having trouble with Amundsen where all the Columbus (including mine :smile:) seemed to work fine. Can't say I have the interest to re-read 14 pages to see what the outcome was, just thought something in it may be useful to to the OP.

Can't help thinking the problem probably lies more with OBD eleven

teamt84:

Have had the same done to my Octavia 3 FL MY20 (1,5TSI DSG).

I have Amundsen and Lane Assist from factory. A friend of mine did the coding via OBDeleven. It was rather tricky, (sadly I don’t know exactly what he did) but in the end it worked with no error codes, so it is possible! :)

But I think it’s awkward with the fusion mode, it will often change the displayed speed limit to the one from the satnav. I get that it’s good to do so if it can’t detect a road sign, but if I drive by a 40-sign, it displays 40, but seconds later from nowhere it adjust itself to 50, without passing a new sign. That’s irritating. But I guess that’s just how it’s supposed to work if the camera and satnav isn’t consistent.

Hope that you work it out, without any errors!

17 hours ago, B284 said:

But I guess that’s just how it’s supposed to work if the camera and satnav isn’t consistent.

That is strange, it is not how mine works. If the camera sees a temporary speed limit, it stays until it sees a change of sign or I leave that road.

Thanks all for the replies. I turned fusion on (it was set to detection) and all works perfectly. I now get the pre-loaded speeds from sat nav until I pass a sign that it then reads. Temporary speeds on the motorway stayed on display until I passed the national speed limit sign on exiting the roadworks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, teamt84 said:

Thanks all for the replies. I turned fusion on (it was set to detection) and all works perfectly. I now get the pre-loaded speeds from sat nav until I pass a sign that it then reads. Temporary speeds on the motorway stayed on display until I passed the national speed limit sign on exiting the roadworks.

Result :thumbup: