Droning from Front Right wheel.

Hey all, 

So during the snow I bumped the Front Rightside wheel on a curb (slid on black ice down hill. Bumped at between 5/10 mph if that.) The wheel was turned to the left as I was trying to round a corner and the ice had other ideas. 

Since this, there has been a droning noise coming from that wheel. It comes on around 30mph and gets worse as you get faster, is unbearable at motorway speeds, eases off when you take your foot off the accelerator and increases significatnly when your accelerating.

I have inspected the car and had a mechanic inspect it and nothing is obviously out of place, bent or damaged.

I know there is a wealth of knowledge on here, so thought it the best place to ask as everyone on my end is coming up with nothing.

Any ideas?

Also, thank you for the help in advance :biggrin:.

3 hours ago, MadLad91 said:

Hey Warrior193,

Have checked both wheel bearing and driveshaft. Both have no movement in them other than what is normally expected. 

Thanks for the info 😁

There wouldn't necessarily be excess play or end float in a damaged wheel bearing early on, you will probably need to rotate it at speed and listen to the hub - preferably with a 'sounding stick' to an ear. What may have happened is one of the ball-race faces got 'dimpled' when you hit the curb - or the same with the CV coupling on that side.  

I have had both front wheel bearings done which fixed a noise that both VW and Skoda mechanics said was not wheel bearings. They had done the usual checks for play and said definitely not. (It was rhythmic pulsating though)

Bearings will make a noise mainly under load. The wheel bearing will get noisier when the affected bearing is loaded in corners, i.e. the wheel is on the outer bend. CV joints will get noisy under acceleration and quiet when declutching or lifting the accelerator. As Warrior193 said above you may have grazed the surface enough with the slight impact to get the drone. I would put money on the CV joint.

• Like 1