Skoda Fabia 1.4 mpi Rough Idle, Seems like it wants to stall.

34 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Why do you think it's dodgy if you don't know what it is?

B1 S2 is the post-cat lambda probe and a high percentage is good, it means the cat is working really well.

Ah right, my bad, I didn't realise it was the lambda sensor.

MinkyMike:  Oh right , nice one cheers bud, it's a pretty easy job then, will fuel all spray out when I remove the injector ? Is it under pressure, and do I need to prime the fuel or anything once it's swapped or will it just start ?

If you leave it a while before you remove the fuel feed pipe to the rail the pressure should have gone. If you want to be absolutely sure you can remove the fuel pump fuse (61) and start the engine until it stops. No need to prime once done, the pump will do that.

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

On 24/02/2021 at 21:06, TMB said:

If you leave it a while before you remove the fuel feed pipe to the rail the pressure should have gone. If you want to be absolutely sure you can remove the fuel pump fuse (61) and start the engine until it stops. No need to prime once done, the pump will do that.

Nice one mate!

The code still hasn't came back, so maybe that code was pending from before I did the head gasket.

Not sure what to try really, its been starting fine for the last week, yes its slightly rough for the first  5 mins, but it soon goes away...

I've seen people spraying carb cleaner around the air pipes on YouTube to check for any vacuum leaks, reckon this might be worth a try?

Edited by MinkyMike

Have a good look at the plastic servo vacuum pipe. They can crack at the bottom where it's hard to see.

20180719-153158-thumb-jpg-80292583784699

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

I've checked, can't see anything, I was going to change the fuel filter to see if that made a difference.

I've just looked and someone as bust the clip and its being held on with a cable tie, there are no leaks around it though so I don't think this is causing an issue other then fecking with my ocd.

how annoying, this wouldn't cause an issue would it? also does anyone else think changing the fuel filter would help the issue I'm having? It was just a long shot.

Fed up of spending money on it now to be fair (spent quite a lot last year), think I'm just gonna leave it until it dies.

I've plugged it in again and scanned it today no codes have come back.

The wife reckons she had the changed at some point, possibly about 5 years ago at a garage in Kidderminster, who she used regularly, but after a service, I did a check and they didn't even change the oil filter, needless to say they wont be getting no more custom from us.)

this is why I hate going to the mechanics.

20210305_102355.jpg

Edited by MinkyMike

That's not an OE filter so it's already been changed and, no, it won't make any difference if you change it again.

To be honest UK fuel is so clean compared to other parts of the world that it never needs doing on petrol cars.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MinkyMike said:

this is why I hate going to the mechanics.

Same here mate. Don't trust anyone to fix my car other than me.

3 minutes ago, TMB said:

Same here mate. Don't trust anyone to fix my car other than me.

It's ok if the mechanic does what he's asked to do for a pre-agreed price which I pay him in cash.

This is what I do for all works that need doing under the car.

15 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

It's ok if the mechanic does what he's asked to do for a pre-agreed price which I pay him in cash.

This is what I do for all works that need doing under the car.

With me it's an OCD thing.

You'd just like to think that if your paying a professional someone that repairs cars for a living that they would do a good proper job, but it just doesn't seem to be the case does it.

this is why I will always try to do it my self first, not because I want to nor because I am not willing to pay the garage, but because I know if I do it myself, I do it right.

or at least try to do it correctly to the best of my knowledge. 

Edited by MinkyMike

On 22/02/2021 at 13:17, MinkyMike said:

It's funny I've had all the codes but never no EPC light , I wonder if the bulb as gone.

EPC would get on for things like throttle body issues or a bad brake switch. If you talk about EML, then you should know that my former 2000 Skoda Fabia 1.4 MPI, 50kw, atz engine had it working, in the cluster tests from vcds was perfectly fine, it was getting illuminated, as well as when disconnecting the battery terminals and switching on the ignition for the first time. I had my cat removed, both o2 probes, a lot of errors stored in the ECU, it never got on in my dashboard.

• Like 1

yeah, its pretty annoying tbh, I've got to keep plugging it in all the time to check for faults? something not right there ay, now I know this isn't a big deal, but running a full scan does take a while...

I'm getting pretty frustrated with this car, It drives lovely, its just rough for the first 5 mins of starting, and not every time I might add, I just don't know what it is, but something isn't right. (it didn't always do this) I'm gutted that the ecu isn't picking it up whatever it is.

I'm out of ideas of where to look next, until it gets worse, or actually dies I'm at a dead end.

I'm just grateful it's getting me to work, allowing me to save some dosh!

I've still got a new rad here, discs, pads, cv joint, 2 ball joints waiting to be done, just waiting for warmer weather.

tbh, the radiator leak is so minimal, the header tank as not lost out.

also its started squeaking now going over speed bumps and around bends, I'm not sure what this is, I don't want to keep creating new posts all the time, I'm guessing its suspension or bushes? drop links? I've got no idea really, need to have a good look don't I

It's a shame because I've done a lot of work on it, and spent a bit of cash, but to be honest most of the cash I've spent as been on tools, that will further aid me as I go on, so I can't really count this, but depending on what it is when it does go

I may have to move on, we could do with a bigger car anyway, 2 kids now, that we didn't have when we first had this car.

I've thought about taking it to the garage, just to see if they could diagnose it for me, but I'm that unhopeful I have not bothered.

I did buy a DeWalt dcf894 impact wrench the other day, because I have the brushless drill(obv batteries are all inter changeable, and I plan on getting more DeWalt tools for diy, etc), and I figured it would improve my experience when working on or around the wheels/suspension. but this cost is a man thing isn't it. I love buying tools. I was gonna buy the big one dcf899 but figured it'd be overkill(they was the same price), and possibly not as pleasing to use giving it's size.

Edited by MinkyMike

Did you try anything with the injectors? Why not bung a used set from ebay on it and see if it sorts it? They can be had for not much money.

Edited by TMB

11 hours ago, TMB said:

Did you try anything with the injectors? Why not bung a used set from ebay on it and see if it sorts it? They can be had for not much money.

Yes mate , it might be worth a try, if it was the injectors though wouldn't it cause issues normal driving or putting your foot down etc ? 

3 hours ago, MinkyMike said:

Yes mate , it might be worth a try, if it was the injectors though wouldn't it cause issues normal driving or putting your foot down etc ? 

I think you should just drive the bloody thing, a lumpy idle on the MPI is frankly normal. You're just chasing your tail now.

7 hours ago, MinkyMike said:

Maybe one of them is sticking when the engine is cold. I dunno really.

4 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

I think you should just drive the bloody thing, a lumpy idle on the MPI is frankly normal. You're just chasing your tail now.

What he describes (running rough for about 5 mins when cold) is not normal for the MPI. Mine doesn't do that at all.

9 minutes ago, TMB said:

What he describes (running rough for about 5 mins when cold) is not normal for the MPI. Mine doesn't do that at all.

I know but we're all out of ideas and it really isn't a major issue since you can turn the key and drive it, even my 2.0 does it sometimes, I just have to blip the throttle and it settles down, it's probably fuel condensing in the cold.

• 2 months later...
On 14/02/2021 at 23:18, MinkyMike said:

Hi mate, I've scanned using a cheap obd scanner on Android, it's showing no codes , the engine light isn't on, I'm thinking of buying a decent obd 2 scanner been looking at the vd700, I really don't think it's that temp sensor matey, I've changed it about 4 times now in the last couple of years with little effect on this issue , this issue as been long standing and as slowly progressed , I was sure it was that head gasket , because I did get misfire code at one point..but it didn't change anything , other then fix the head gasket related issue, it doesn't loose water and engine oil as no cream now.  thanks for offering bud ,

I think I'm just going to have to wait till.it gradually gets worse to try and pinpoint it.. bit of a nightmare to be fair lol I'm thinking fuel related.. but I don't know .. difficult one

Have you changed the spark plugs my mate had the same problems and that's all it was but make sure you change all of them. No one really thinks about something simple as spark plugs if it helps let me know 

• 2 years later...

Hello Minkymike did you ever solve this issue ?

as my Fabia 1.4 2002 doing same.

poor idle

EML flashes at idle codes P0300, multi cylinder misfire P0303, misfire cylinder 3, P0304 misfire cylinder 4

if I initially at right point blip accelerator then car runs and drives fine.

also losing water

so far replaced water pump/ thermostat/ cooling temp sensor/ fan switch.

coil packs cylinders 3&4

cleaned throttle body

any ideas as been in and out of garage and getting very expensive to try repair without success

18 hours ago, Pester said:

Hello Minkymike did you ever solve this issue ?

as my Fabia 1.4 2002 doing same.

poor idle

EML flashes at idle codes P0300, multi cylinder misfire P0303, misfire cylinder 3, P0304 misfire cylinder 4

if I initially at right point blip accelerator then car runs and drives fine.

also losing water

so far replaced water pump/ thermostat/ cooling temp sensor/ fan switch.

coil packs cylinders 3&4

cleaned throttle body

any ideas as been in and out of garage and getting very expensive to try repair without success

Coolant leak will be from the radiator, you don't mention the spark plugs, have you had them out yet?

Hi , 

I was trying to find out if Minkymike Mike solved his similar issues and how as he appeared to have same problems.

It has been to garage I have not done spark plugs myself but assume mechanic would have checked when changing coil packs.

Same as water problems he has pressure tested system and cannot find a leak.

just hoping it not head gasket problems