Wheels

Simon79

Best time to buywinter tyres and wheels has to be in the previous summer. Any ordered now are likely to arrive after you no longer need them, and will cost the maximum price at the moment.

Another 7 weeks or so and I will be thinking about putting the summer tyres back on depending on the long range weather forecast, sometime in April!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

If you have no luck, put a note in your diary for August-September when prices are lower

This is probably what I will do. 

I can get some Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons locally via Asda Tyres for £137 a corner, or Cross climates for £172. On the other hand the snow will be become less of a problem in a week or so and working from home means there is no rush.

MyTyres have used before and were good but the Brexit thing as you mentioned will have probably closed that door.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, does anyone know if the 16" wheels specified for a Yeti fit a Karoq? I have a set of 16"  Skoda alloys that I  used on a Yeti with winter tyres that I can't use ( car went back at the end of the pcp ) . Thanks.

45 minutes ago, Cumbrian28 said:

Hi, does anyone know if the 16" wheels specified for a Yeti fit a Karoq? I have a set of 16"  Skoda alloys that I  used on a Yeti with winter tyres that I can't use ( car went back at the end of the pcp ) . Thanks.

The short answer is yes in that they will have the same 5x112 PCD and the ET should be the same or close.  How suitable they are depends on the tyre size.  Standard on a Yeti would be 215/60x16.  On a Karoq it's 225/60x16.

• Like 1

As you can see in the charts below, the Skoda Yeti and Skoda Karoq both use 215/60R16 tyres but different rims. 7Jx16 ET45 rims on the Yeti and 6Jx16 ET43 rims on the Karoq.

Bigger 225/60R16 tyres are used on 4x4 versions of the Karoq.

Skoda Yeti 2016 2.0TDi
 Generation: 5L Facelift [2014 .. 2022] 
 Market: EUDM 
 Power: 148 hp | 110 kW | 150 PS 
 Engine: CUUB, I4, Diesel
 Options: Ambition, Style, L&K, Monte Carlo
 Center Bore: 57.1 mm 
 Wheel Fasteners: Lug bolts 
 Torque: 120 Nm
 Thread Size: M14 x 1.5 
 Trim Production: [2015 .. 2017]
Tire 
Rim 
PCD 

215/60R16 95H 7Jx16 ET45 5x112 2.2

225/50ZR17 94W 7Jx17 ET45 5x112 2.2
Skoda Karoq 2020 2.0 TDi
 Generation: 2017 .. 2022 
 Power: 148 hp | 110 kW | 150 PS 
 Engine: DFFA, I4, Diesel
 Options: SE, SE L, Ambition, Executive, Style, SportLine
 Center Bore: 57.1 mm 
 Wheel Fasteners: Lug bolts 
 Torque: 140 Nm
 Thread Size: M14 x 1.5 
 Trim Production: [2018 .. 2020]
Tire 
Rim 
PCD 

215/60R16 95V 6Jx16 ET43 5x112 2.2

215/55R17 94V 7Jx17 ET45 5x112 2.2

wheel-size.com

The narrower 16” wheels are probably to allow snow chain fitting on the Karoq. If you have no intentions of fitting snow chains 16x 7 “ wheels from a Yeti fit just fine, my son has my previous Yeti winter wheels on his Karoq.

66E993E0-F50A-48AF-B75F-765FEEA25432.jpeg

Edited by Kenny R
  • Like 1

Except they are not correct for the car so may cause insurance issues as not type approved

I have the correct 6j ones on my car with winter tyres at the moment and they don't need to be any wider with the correct tyres fitted. Those same tyres on a 7j wheel as approved for the Yeti may be stretched a bit too wide?

16 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Except they are not correct for the car so may cause insurance issues as not type approved

I have the correct 6j ones on my car with winter tyres at the moment and they don't need to be any wider with the correct tyres fitted. Those same tyres on a 7j wheel as approved for the Yeti may be stretched a bit too wide?

On the contrary, if you check tyre rim width guides 6” wide rims should have a maximum 205 width tyre fitted, 7” rims are suitable for 195-225 width tyres, so are totally suitable for having 215 tyres fitted.

5000574C-EA4E-4174-8A9E-8186361E1F62.jpeg

• Like 1

What can cause insurance issues is taking a vehicle out on Summer tyres of the Type Approved / Manufacturers size tyres and getting stuck or crashing or having to leave the car where it is and maybe returning to find it written off.

Refer to the Insurance Section for an example.   As to insurance examiners / loss adjusters, they are not idiots  when it comes  the correct speed / load tyres and appropriate tyres for the conditions where they are fitted.

23 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

What can cause insurance issues is taking a vehicle out on Summer tyres of the Type Approved / Manufacturers size tyres and getting stuck or crashing or having to leave the car where it is and maybe returning to find it written off.

Refer to the Insurance Section for an example.   As to insurance examiners / loss adjusters, they are not idiots  when it comes  the correct speed / load tyres and appropriate tyres for the conditions where they are fitted.

In countries where it's mandatory to change tyres yes, but here in the UK where it's perfectly legal to drive on summer tyres during winter? I can't find any such section in my insurance policy nor can ever remember seeing it. I can't even recall reading of anyone in the UK having an insurance claim refused or questioned because of having the manufacturer tyres on their car. ( there's obviously reference to using your car off-road, but that doesn't apply to your car on public roads ).

Can you post up the section in your policy which says this?

Edited by Guest

@Scot5

We know it is perfectly legal.  But then you are looking to maybe have a debate.  

Not always perfectly sensible or advisable though to set out on summer tyres. 

So we are not talking law are we. just using your gumption and the brains you were born with.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/442131-snow-experiences/page/5

Unfortunate for the member who was out with the correct vehicle & going to do a good deed, but maybe just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/490145-had-to-abandon-my-car-due-to-the-weather-whats-the-insurance-position

Screenshot 2021-02-21 at 11.01.02.png

Edited by e-Roottoot

So, to paraphrase the last few posts, yes the yeti winter wheels will fit the karoq but they do not comply with the certificate of conformity. 

I will have to look to sell them to a yeti owner then. Thanks for the info everyone.

If it was me I wouldn’t worry re them being Yeti wheels.  As long at they are the same size and weight rating then I’d be quite happy to run with them.  I’ve already spoken to my Ins Co in case I find a set of wheels that aren’t Karoq and they are happy as long as they are the same spec as the ones on it.   I wouldn’t use the tyres on there but that’s something to watch, esp weight rating.  It’s worth a phone call to your Ins Co to see what they think, some are co-operative, some not but worth a try.  

Ditto. I discovered a few weeks ago that the rather nice German 16" black alloy wheels, I was supplied with some years ago for the Yeti (at big discount), to go with Michelin X-Climates were also incorrect - 6.5J, not 7j and came with plastic spacers for the offset.  I did keep the wheels for the new car, not being aware of the offset and rim width issues at the time - the tyres are only half worn.

I'm still occasionally half tempted to still try them out on the Karoq, bearing in mind generally favourable comments here on X-climates on the Karoq, just to see what, if any, ride & road noise improvements I might find.  That is compared with the Bridgestone Turanzas, which unlike most people, I actually find not half bad, at least after just 9000 miles.

Almost made up my mind now though, to plod on with the 17" Bridgestones and then go straight to new 16" steel wheels + Goodyear AW Gen3s in summer 2022.

I dislike large rims with a vengance.

I also dislike having to have a larger rim size just because I choose a higher spec model.

Many years ago (2012) a number of us on here managed to get Skoda UK to change the rim size on our factory ordered Yeti SEL's from 17" to 16".

Potholes (especially in rural areas) will mangle any of these stagecoach sized rims and tyres in an instant.

We now have a Karoq on order - same problem 18" rim size is minimum on an SEL - why FFs.

If a 16" rim is acceptable (in terms of design regulations and brake caliper clearance) - why cant I have some of them?

I prefer the less noisy and softer ride of a 16" wheel.

I dont want to go around corners like an F1 driver.

• Like 2

I agree.  Surely there's room for a more upmarket luxury Karoq version that emphasises comfort and with lots of features, not just those found on sporty models.  Even BMW do a Luxe version of the Active tourer with fairly sensible 17" wheels, at least they used to. However that car doesn't seem to be one of the best for ride, to start off with.  In th 1950s & 60s , the UK car upmarket sector had the choice of sedate Rover 90s, Armstrong Siddeleys, Daimlers, as an alternative to Jaguars & the like.  I blame the motoring press for encouraging everyone to think we all have to drive racey cars.

I see the next model Quashquai will have a 20" wheel option!

• Like 1