Heated washer nozzles

I’d say they are probably working, but the engine bay is poorly insulated and the feed pipes from the pump freeze quite easily. I’ve had to adjust quite severely my washer concentration after being used to my last motor, which had a heated bottle, nozzles and insulated pipes. 
check your fluid as some don’t go that low even when neat. 

18 minutes ago, UndertheRadar said:

I’d say they are probably working, but the engine bay is poorly insulated and the feed pipes from the pump freeze quite easily. I’ve had to adjust quite severely my washer concentration after being used to my last motor, which had a heated bottle, nozzles and insulated pipes. 
check your fluid as some don’t go that low even when neat. 

Sounds very familiar. I’ve not had the car long but I seem to have noticed so far that whilst the temperature is below zero then the screen wash doesn’t flow properly despite the engine being fully warmed up. Like you I will need to use much stronger ratio of concentrate and drop my old habits of diluting it that used to be fine with my previous vehicle. 

• Like 1

As you’ve found, having heated washer nozzles doesn’t negate the need for having washer fluid suitable for the current freezing conditions.

Edited by Kenny R

Best recommendation I've ever had was to buy OEM VW concentrated screenwash. You can mix it at various concentrations. Used neat it stays liquid down to -70. It's also not as thick and prone to leaving streaks as some of the stuff you get from Halfords

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 3

In sweden at least you have the possibility to buy mixed screen wash in 4litre bottles that works to roughly -17 Celsius.

Or buy the same as a concentrate and mix to your liking (temp).

Never had the screen washer freezed up, not even in -25 celsius two days ago. But on the other hand I never use something for higher temps than -17..

Glad to see it’s not just me having frozen washer jets then!

in my old superb mk2 I never had this problem and have always used genuine concentrate from the dealers at a ratio of 1L concentrate to 3L water with no issues. My last batch is not oem from ebay due to lockdown hassles getting from the dealers but it’s supposed to be the same spec. I was wondering if it’s the stuff I’m using or the ratio needs to be increased. I’m down to the last litre of concentrate so might to a 1 to 2L ratio this time and go back to the oem stuff in future then.

damn annoying coming home from a night shift without being able to clean the front screen!!!

• Like 1

I've not had this problem on mine - yet. That said I tend to use undiluted full strength washer fluid in winter & I do use the heated front screen to clear any ice before using the wipers or screen wash/wipe. If the windscreen has a deep covering of snow I remove it manually before using the wipers to protect the wiper motors & the blades. If needed a small spray of hand held de-icer on the wasser nozzles normally clears any surface blockages.   

I did have problems with frozen washer jets & hoses on an older car which took ages to melt free before working. I semi fixed it by splicing in some extra plastic washer tubing & routing it around some of the cooling hoses. Admittedly I had to wait until the car warmed up a bit before I could use the washers but it was infinitely better than having to wait for 1hr or more of driving before being able to use the washers. Together with full strength fluid it gave a steaming blue shower onto the windscreen which cut through the road grime quite well.  

8 hours ago, Patent said:

I've just filled mine up. The OEM ratio for -16 degrees is 2 parts screenwash 1 part water, if that helps :)

I checked my emergency bottle I keep in the boot and it’s 1 part screen wash to 2 parts water for -16 degrees and 4 parts water for summer hence I’ve always gone for the middle ground of 3 water as that should still cope with freezing temperatures we get in the uk.

3575B653-04AD-44A7-9741-967EC92B4D05.jpeg

• Like 1