Curious incident - scam?

Paul R T

Hi All

Last week I had a perfectly normal, incident free, trip to our local community hospital for an out-patients appointment, using my 2016 Superb Estate (50k miles, in pristine condition). Drove there, parked in the hospital car park, and then drove back without any incidents whatsoever. However, yesterday I received from the police a notice of intention to prosecute for driving without due care and attention, failing to stop after an accident, and failing to report an accident. All supposed to have taken place in the hospital car park within a time period, which overlapped with my visit.

I wonder if this is some sort of attempted insurance scam seeking to claim against me for, perhaps, existing damage to another vehicle.

However, it is not a scam I have heard of previously. Has anyone else come across a similar example?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Paul R T 

I had a similar letter from an insurance company a while back saying that my car had been involved in an accident when it hadn't been. Fortunately I had a supermarket receipt that placed me at a location many miles away from the accident site. It still took the best part of a year and a visit from an assessor, to prove that my car had not been damaged, to clear it up. The police were never involved.

In your case could it be that someone has noted down the incorrect registration number? I would contact the police and try to get some more information as to the accident and the other vehicle. As far as I know you only have to report an accident if someone is injured or you do not exchange details at the time but I could be wrong. I am surprised that it is a police matter and that you did not get a letter from an insurance company. Are you sure that the letter from the police is genuine?

1 hour ago, Paul R T said:

However, yesterday I received from the police a notice of intention to prosecute for driving without due care and attention, failing to stop after an accident, and failing to report an accident.

Sorry to hear of it, very stressful. I would be asking the Police what evidence they have.  

If it were me and I had doubts that it was a genuine NIP then I would just let it take its course and defend myself if the time came unless it was requesting any action on my part.

T Paul RT,  did the NIP request anything from yourself?

Edited by J.R.

Hi, in reply to this incident I suffered a similar incident, the other party claimed I had cut across him damaging the front wing of his car, there was no contact, no accident but even reporting to my insurance company in case a claim was made and having an engineer out to view my vehicle, my insurance company paid out so I went to the ombudsman and they sided with the insurance company so net result I am paying higher premiums for being totally innocent, so be very careful and obtain as much evidence as you can about where you were at the time of this incident. Best of luck with your outcome.

Hi All

Thanks for the responses. Not a lot more to report at this stage.

I responded immediately to the NIP and informed them that I was the driver, as required. I attached a letter explaining the movements of my vehicle and that I had absolutely no knowledge of any incident. I later emailed the police asking for any evidence. They responded saying that they do not release any details while a case is live. I have now been able to download to my tablet front dash-cam footage of the journey, including entering the hospital car park at low speed, reversing gently into a parking space, and later leaving the car park again at low speed. I have today sent an account of this footage to the police. I await any further developments.

I remain puzzled, but have a growing suspicion that a third party is trying to blame me for damage to their vehicle caused otherwise.

Cheers

Paul R T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Make sure you have pictures of your car showing no damage as well, as you will sadly find a number of people who try it on.

Lucky you had the dash cam and if it is a case of somebody making it up, make sure you notify their/your insurance company and furnish yours with the video.

If it's as you say then it's attempted insurance fraud and sadly far too common these days.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Its your choice but be aware that if you inform your insurance company it will be treated as a claim pending and you will lose your no claims bonus until the claim is either refuted or in the (likely) case that they dont pursue a claim (knowledge of the dash cam) after a period of a couple of years, been there got the T shirt.

If you have protected NCB you will see that your policy renewal cost shoots up with the stock excuse about the underwriters having a bad year etc and there is diddly squat you can do about it as if you go to another insurer they will say you have zero NCB and a claim pending.

If the police request your insurance details you have no choice but if I were to ask you for your insurance details because I wanted to chance my arm for a payout and you knew there had been no accident then you would refuse and have no obligation to inform your insurers which can be done at a future date in any case.

Your choice but be aware of the consequences.

Police are normally only interested if someone was injured. I doubt that they would raise a NIP about a car park bump, they would just advise the "victim" to contact their insurance company. They would also contact you directly, usually a visit by a policeman, to gather evidence before a NIP can be issued. They would want to establish that you were the driver of the vehicle.

So double and triple check this NIP is genuine and dont rely on the contact details given on the letter. Many sophisticated scams out there.

A car park bump would at most involve insurance companies. If no one has contacted you from an insurance company,suspect a scam.

Note that a hospital car park is private property too so police have very limited powers regarding traffic accidents.

If its genuine it suggests they have video footage of you hitting a pedestrian.

Another possibility is a witness got the number plate wrong, or confused/guessed part of it. If its a genuine hit and run where the offending vehicle sped off, maybe witnesses were garnered after the event and asked if they could remember any number plate of the "car that just left a minute or two ago" and yours got offered up and no further checks as to make or model was made.

Fingers crossed it turns out well.

Edited by xman

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just to update. The police have let me know they are taking no action on the alleged incident, which prompted me to start this thread. To quote: “This investigation originated from an allegation that a driver failed to stop and exchange details following a road traffic collision. Our enquiries have not produced sufficient evidence to support a prosecution against any person involved and there will not be any further action by the police.”

It really does show the value of having a dash-cam, although it is the first time I have had to use it ‘in anger’ in the 5 years it has been installed.

I will continue to be wary of any attempt by whoever is the ‘third party’ to claim against me, if the police have given him/her my name and address.

Thanks for the responses and various advice.

Cheers

Paul R T

• Like 1

Hi Paul

Glad to know the NIP is resolved. Since reading your initial post I've installed a dashcam front and rear and notified my insurance company of fitment. I hope I don't have to use it.

Time to relax ?

Did you actually submit your dashcam evidence?

I am wondering if just the mention of it existing is likely to make the scammers back down?

Dash cam saves the day again. Nice thread. I watched some footage from my Nextbase the other day on the laptop, it's a very good cleam picture. It displays my speed too, and the VRS looks fast when your making progress.