That`s novel self opening boot!

Delanor

I was standing over the road talking to my neighbour with my back to my drive when he suddenly pointed out  that the boot had just opened on my Karoq - the keys were in my jacket pocket so I went and closed it and then went back to my neighbours and took the keys out but you physically have to press the remote button for a second or two to open the boot so how did that happen on its own?

In all likelihood the button was being pressed in your pocket.  It’s a pretty common discussion on here (in other sections) about windows all rolling down by themselves for the same reason, button being held down in a pocket. 

my biggest complaint about the electronic boot opening is that there is no safety measure in place - it will try to open the boot door fully even if there is an obstacle in the way

I have garage door that when opened isn't as high, and boot will open fully every time, hitting the garage door

also it on its way down it will pinch anything sticking out of the boot..you can't even stop the boot from opening even when holding it with your hand..

14 minutes ago, Fux said:

my biggest complaint about the electronic boot opening is that there is no safety measure in place - it will try to open the boot door fully even if there is an obstacle in the way

I have garage door that when opened isn't as high, and boot will open fully every time, hitting the garage door

also it on its way down it will pinch anything sticking out of the boot..you can't even stop the boot from opening even when holding it with your hand..

Yours if faulty then and best get it looked at.

11 minutes ago, Fux said:

You can adjust the maximum lift of the tailgate so it doesn't wallop your garage door, but needless to say it'll stop at that height whether it's in the garage or not, so I guess it's only a partial solution.

I'm not sure about a solution to stopping it from squashing Ken Fowler's cat when it's closing, but you'd assume that there was a force limiter of some kind built into the struts.

On 23/02/2021 at 09:47, kenfowler3966 said:

Perhaps a silly question, but my car boot has the foot operation option. Would a cat running under the car rear in the right place open the boot if I am near enough with a key so it is active?

If you were standing next to the boot then there's a possibility something other than you may trigger it. Only time I stand next to my boot without opening it is when I'm washing the car so the probability of a cat making the correct movement under the sensor at the same time is, err remote to say the least. ( Even more remote in my case as I don't like cats and they don't like me ). 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Fux said:

As per others, sounds faulty or the sensor needs setting.

I'm sure I've mentioned this elsewhere in the forum. When I was first looking at the Karoq in the showroom, it was positioned pretty close to a wall. So I have my back pressed against the wall and went to open the boot - it was a Sportline on display, I thought only the Edition had the power tailgate. I used the handle to open the boot but before I knew it, it had me pressed tight against the wall, and it wasn't for stopping. My hands were pinned down so I couldn't even reach the close button. I had to be rescued by a salesman. :D    Both the power tailgates on my Karoq and Kodiaq are pretty sensitive, they stop as soon as they meet any resistance.  That showroom car may have been faulty or what's more likely, it's something they set at the PDI - dunno.  I'd defo have a word with the dealer if I were you.

Edited by Guest

My Scout has a power boot but is not foot operated, only by the remote or by the button on the boot lid or the footwell button, I find it impossible to open the boot just from the remote being in a loose fitting  jacket pocket other than by actually pressing and hold the button so hopefully it was just a one off.

I will add that when opening/closing the boot it is quite powerful and I don`t know if you could actually stop it once moving.

Edited by Delanor