Cleaning touchscreen

1stkaroc

Good morning, can anyone tell me the best product to use to disinfect the touch screen on a new Karoq. Can I use a normal antibacterial wipe or has it got a special coating which would be damaged, picking up a new car on Monday and want to clean the interior touch pints before we drive away.

Surely the garage you are buying from will do that for you. When I went to pick my car after it’s service, the inside touch points were all disinfected, as were the outer door handles.

Edited by Kenny R

I know they say they disinfect the car but can you trust them. Will they really clean all the touch points in the car, Tesco insist all their delivery drivers are fully Covid compliant but our driver this morning didn’t wear a mask!, so I would sooner clean it myself and be sure, overkill perhaps but I have managed so far to avoid catching Covid and would hate to do so now when some sort of end is on sight.

33 minutes ago, 1stkaroc said:

I know they say they disinfect the car but can you trust them........

Hmmm.......I wonder, did they really do PDI, have those front offside wheel bolts been checked, is the brake fluid level correct and the cap back on.........etc, etc?

Would love to be a fly on-the-wall because there will be plenty of other things you touch daily that hasn't already been sanitised. But that's beside the point.

Why don't you ask the garage what they use? But just think about it, if you're able to touch the screen after you've just used a handwipe...  well handwipes obviously work !   Use the same stuff that you clean your mobile phone with? Glass cleaner will work, a damp cloth soaked in mild soapy solution will work etc.

PS - You do realise that Covid-19 is not passed on by touching something, your hands can be covered in Covid, doesn't mean to say you'll catch it. it's only when you put your hand to your mouth or eyes or nose or ( well lets not go there ) that it enters your system. So it doesn't matter if your car is covered in Covid, as long as you don't pick your nose, rub your eyes or suck your thumb then no worries. If you're the type of person with poor self-hygiene, I'd also be very careful when you go to the toilet.

PPS - I bet there are lots of things you never check before driving away like oil level and brakes etc But you'll trust the dealer to have done that ! 

It's a car...!  Wipe it with whatever you fancy !!

We use all sorts of aerosol and trigger spray antibac stuff on the vans in work. I spray it all over overything and wipe it with whatever comes to hand, an old cloth, a bit of paper towel, my mates coat, anything. The vans still work & look fine.....:)

Don't be too fussy......:kiss:

You’ve prob a far bigger chance of catching Da Bug from picking up fuel when you realise the dealer has given you less than 5 ltrs of fuel.  :angry:

if your being paranoid (just coz you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you) minimise what you touch in the car, don’t touch face, sanitise when you get out then leave the car for 3 days, pref in the sun, to kill off any pesky bugs.  You don’t need to touch the screen, you don’t need to endlessly adjust the seats until they are just-so, you don’t need to adjust the AC until it’s perfect.  Drive with the mind-set that everything is contaminated then see what actually needs to be touched.  :thumbup:

I was astounded when sent the virtual handover to be told it was filled up with fuel, that’s a first for us. Regarding being over cautious I can only say medically I am in a category that statically will not do well if I get Covid. I am aware that you need to transfer Covid from your hands to your mouth/yes/nose to get it but it is very difficult not to forget and touch your face. 
if they forget something on the PDI I’ll take it back for them to rectify it, can’t do that if you catch Covid from them.

remember you just because your paranoid doesn’t mean their not out to get you.

I was just being a tad tongue in cheek.  SWMBO has recently, well end summer, entered a shielding category so would be asking exactly the same questions as you are.  Luckily we picked up our Karoq a month before she developed her illness.

Re wiping down, I’d have thought alco-wipes or similar would be fine but you’re asking our opinion on what will kill the virus and not damage the car, a question we all have views on but no real expertise on.  If it was me, I’d still follow what I suggest as time on surfaces kills the bug, in addition to wiping down, decontaminating hands, etc.  :thumbup:

In probably 35 years of buying new cars we have never been given a full tank of fuel, so this was definitely an unexpected bonus, still can’t work out why we got such a good deal unless they were desperate for March registrations.

New or pre-registered?  We got 32% off list for a delivery miles per-registered Karoq 2.0 Tdi 4x4 DSG last June, £10k off list.  We weren’t sure if that was a mistake or they were desperate to get rid of the evil diesel/4x4 combos.  Was exactly what we were after at a bite their hand off price.  :thumbup:

Might explain naff all fuel! :D

Edited by DSL

It’s new from their stock, we started looking mid Feb hoping for a pre March bargain so was amazed to be offered it on the new 21 plate. I suppose it’s a about the luck of the timing, if you go in and they need one more sale to hit their target you get the deal.

2 hours ago, DSL said:

We got 32% off list for a delivery miles per-registered Karoq 2.0 Tdi 4x4 DSG last June, £10k off list.

Yeah.....I bought mine in May 20 for delivery from stock in June 20. Got a fantastic deal that I couldn't really believe, not as good as yours, but mine wasn't pre registered and it had the options I wanted....

I think those were the dark days of lockdown 1 and dealers didn't really know what was coming and were desperate to shift stock....

My impression now is that the opposite applies in some parts of the motor industry at least, with demand outstripping supply and prices hardening......

I have just ordered my karoq sportline today, 1.5 DSG factory order with options added. Got a great deal 20% of list (£6,200 discount) it was cheaper than an ex demonstrater that had 4k miles on it they had, same model but without the virtual cockpit. I was delighted. Fingers crossed for the full tank of fuel when I get it haha. 

No doubt there are good discounts to be had, what surprised me was the extra £1000 for our trade in above what some dealers were offering (£1500 at one dealer) which brought the cost to change down to what we wanted to spend, stock car so no chance to add options as I would have added heated seats. Have to say the virtual cockpit looks great and is probably the way all cars will go, probably cheaper than dials for the manufacturer as well.

Heated extras are the only things I miss, seat and steering wheel.  I thought I’d miss the heated screen but the car warms up very quickly. 

I really wanted to add the heated front windscreen to mine, but decided to opt for the virtual cockpit instead as it was pretty much the same price and thought I'd get far more use out the cockpit and it looks better, imo obviously. Luckily the model I chose comes with the heated front seats as I love them in my current car. 

12 hours ago, DSL said:

Heated extras are the only things I miss, seat and steering wheel.  I thought I’d miss the heated screen but the car warms up very quickly. 

Petrol cars warm up quicker than diesels. Diesel convert the power in the fuel more efficiently so less is wasted on heat. 

tom

• Like 1

Agreed, but was pleasantly surprised how quickly the screen started to clear with the diesel when just idling and pretty severe frost/ice.  Hopefully not need that until next winter! :thumbup:

Edited by DSL

I was planning to save the money for the virtual cockpit, but I had the (mis)fortune of having it on the test drive car. Once you have seen it in action it's very difficult to go back to "normal". It's definitely going to get as standard in the higher trims in the next couple of years and slowly trickle down to all cars.

As for the main topic of cleaning the displays. I think that OP's concern is about vulnerability to some displays (not only in cars) in the past to certain cleaning products that can permanently damage the top layer. I'm fairly sure this has been resolved long ago, but by all means if you have concerns ask the dealership to recommend something via e-mail so you have it in writing.

If you have Covid concerns - may just use gloves when you get the car and for the next 2-3 days. But as others have mentioned, unless you live in a letteral bubble there are far easier ways of catching Covid than your supposedly disinfected car.