HELP - Rear Badge Replacement

Hi Everyone 👋🏻

I decided to replace my rear badge today on my Skoda Octavia MK2 because the old one is faded however I could not remove the badge as it is stuck on with strong glue. :worried:

I have accidentally damaged my paint in the process and I'm worried that rust might appear if I don't touch it up with paint. :crying:

I contacted my local dealer if they have a touchup pen for my paint colour which is called 'diamond silver metallic' and awaiting a response.

Has anybody had the same issue as I've experienced and how did you do it without scratching paint? I'm really worried about this.

Image attached is what it looks like now.

Thanks

PXL_20210227_151425416.jpg

3 minutes ago, john999boy said:

Firstly you don't use a screwdriver. :x

If you heat it up and use something similar to dental floss then you can 'saw' it off easily.

Yeahhhh, that's what I've used 🤦🏻‍♂️

Sorry for asking but, what do you mean by 'dental floss'?

Dental Floss as in used for flossing teeth.  Or Fishing Line.  Strong Nylon thread etc etc 

Pour boiling water on the badge area first, or a heat gun low or a hair dryer high.

The paint does look like it might have been painted before. 

Maybe the badge was replaced before so not stuck on as it was at the factory.

• Thanks 1

You have certainly given that the good news :sadsmile:

I dont think you are the first though as there are traces of rust coming from some of the chipped areas and others where the primer looks to have been exposed for some time.

30 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You have certainly given that the good news :sadsmile:

I dont think you are the first though as there are traces of rust coming from some of the chipped areas and others where the primer looks to have been exposed for some time.

I'm going to see if I can pickup some sandpaper as well as a touchup pen and just go over the paint to protect it 🤞🏻

I'm tempted to get Skoda Brilliant silver touchup paint but it's the wrong shade of silver :worried:

11 minutes ago, OneSlowBoi said:

I'm going to see if I can pickup some sandpaper as well as a touchup pen and just go over the paint to protect it 🤞🏻

I'm tempted to get Skoda Brilliant silver touchup paint but it's the wrong shade of silver :worried:

Your car should have the paint details either inside the Service Book (I think) as well as on the boot floor.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, john999boy said:

Your car should have the paint details either inside the Service Book (I think) as well as on the boot floor.

Sorry, got a question. I'm new to this all.

Will the car rust quickly if I leave it until Monday? Stupid question I know :speechless:

I did put some polish over it to at least give it some protection 😅

The proper Skoda touch up pens come with a bottle of base colour and one of clear, the lid of one is a needle scraper for the rust, the other the brush for the paint, they are actually worth the extra cost, I was still using the same one from 2005 up to last year on my second silver Skoda and then passed it on to my neighbour for his MK3 which was still the same colour, it needed a tiny drop of thinners in all that time.

It will probably serve for 20 years!!!!

• Like 2

Ok, so I went to my local Skoda Dealership at the parts department and got my touchup paint however, their is one small problem.

I specifically asked the guy to give me 'diamond silver metallic' but instead he gave me 'Brilliant Silver' either though I didn't ask for it.

He put my paint number as well as my VIN into the computer and somehow there was an error in the system when it tried to find it and it couldn't find the paint which is odd.

I think Skoda don't produce or make touchup pens for 'diamond silver metallic' anymore so I guess I'm going to have to unfortunately stick with this :thinking:

9102 is Brilliant Silver & sometimes Diamond Silver,  9156 is also Brilliant Silver.

Model & Year important.

Not so 'Simply Clever' or even just simple.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/40776-silver-paint-code

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/363779-paint-codes-9102-v-9598-v-9156

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/233768-vrs-silver-paint-code

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

9102 is Brilliant Silver & sometimes Diamond Silver,  9156 is also Brilliant Silver.

Model & Year important.

Thanks for clearing this up for me :)

Yeah you're right, pretty stupid to be fair! :D

16 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Model & Year important.

My Octy is a late 2006 build and according to the 2006 brochure 'brillaint silver' didn't exist and was not an option. There was only 'diamond silver metallic'

It was only until the 2007 brochure came out, 'brillaint silver' then superseded 'diamond silver'

Well...

The touch-up job is getting there.

It's my first time doing it too, I left some sanding marks on the outside of the paint chip which you can see on the photo. I used 800 Grit Sandpaper.

Do you think a polishing compound would fix these sanding marks? To me the marks look like they have slightly sanded the clearcoat and it gave the paint a bit of a dull shine. 

Thanks.

539.jpg

At this stage, I’d have removed the badge and bought a spray can as that looks terrible. 

You don’t want to be polishing anywhere near those edges and it’s not going to look much better than that I’m afraid.

Maybe over a few months of hand polishing the milky areas will get better.

Edited by 20vKarlos
  • Like 1

I literally jumped from 800 grit sandpaper to 2500 and I know that is not the best thing to do at all but I then used Meguiars Ultimate Compound, hand polished and applied medium pressure.

Done it twice and the sanding marks are pretty much gone. After that, I applied Auto Finesse Tripple Polish and it looks a lot better than before.

A lot of you guys might say that I did a **** job but for me I can live with this. Rather have it looking like this then leaving it to rust. Standing from a distance, it doesn't look massively noticeable, it's just when you get close, you'll see it.

I have learnt from this stupid mistake and I hope if anybody attempts to remove their rear badge, don't do what I did. :D

4 minutes ago, john999boy said:

Have you given up on the badge replacement then? :whew:

I am going to replace it in the future. Where I live it's too cold to be outside so I'm going to attempt it in summer :)

• Haha 1

once you get the badge off, have a rattle can of brilliant silver and one of clear coat ready. give the whole area a good clean, and rub it back then spray it up with the cans. take your time and it will come up much much better with your new badges on too :thumbup:

I (respectfully) disagree Mac, no question that spraying is better for a whole panel repair but for that it will end up being feathered out over a much larger area and silver metallic sprayed patch repairs stand out like a sore thumb especially in a visible area like that.

I had to do sideswipe repairs on my Octavia 2 which was the same colour, I actually managed to get away with one fade out on the door bottom, sill & wheelarch but only by using a masking line where the clear stick on protector would normally be and because the door bottom is in shadow, the corner repair on the front bumper looks as sh1te as I expected it to be.

The touch ins that I did dont really show, but they need building up in several layers until they are standing proud & then flatting back with worn 1200 grit to level before applying the clear coat then further flatting & polishing.

If the OP wants to improve on that he will have to do the above & build up all the touched in areas, alternatively leave as they are, the badge will take the eye from them and we dont have digital zoom function eyes, he has stopped & prevented further corrosion which was the goal.

• Love it! 1