Brake DISKS and PADS size and which brand to go for????

I stand to be corrected, but as far as I know, on the Octavia 3, the 7 speed dsg has to be refilled by pumping in the exact required amount up through the drain plug. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@automass  Are you talking about a 1.4 TSI & saying you have a 6 speed DSG, so a wet clutch DSG?

MY BAD, & sorry i had no idea there were such Mk3 Octavia.  

Yes. mine is 1.4TSI and I believe this is 6speed as i have never seen7th gear on the dash. Does it mean that I have to have gear oil changed? is there anyway to confirm whether i need to have gear oil changed or not. Main dealer said, I don't but they didnt check the car though. it was by the registration number.

You need to find out what your DSG is.  Is there a build sticker in the spare tyre well you could take a photo of?

I am amazed if your car has not got a DQ200 7 speed DSG when it is a FWD 1.4 TSI.

I would go drive it and see if in D it really does not go into D7. 

3 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

You need to find out what your DSG is.  Is there a build sticker in the spare tyre well you could take a photo of?

I am amazed if your car has not got a DQ200 7 speed DSG when it is a FWD 1.4 TSI.

I would go drive it and see if in D it really does not go into D7. 

I am confused now. the car didnt come with spare tyre, just with repair kit. I drove it 15k miles but never seen gear 7 as far as i can remember. Can I not check it with VRN or any other Code?

The car has a spare tyre well regardless of having a spare tyre or puncture repair kit in an insert..

If you can look & there is a Build Sticker with the paint code there is a Gearbox code there.

Or someone can maybe check your VIN or the dealership will, the one that said your DSG did not need an oil change.

Edited by e-Roottoot

1 minute ago, e-Roottoot said:

The car has a spare tyre well regardless of having a spare tyre or puncture repair kit in an insert..

If you can look & there is a Build Sticker with the paint code there is a Gearbox code there.

Or someone can maybe check your VIN or the dealership will, the one that said your DSG did not need an oil change.

I got what you meant? I will go out and check this out now and will let you guys know. Its drizling.

2 minutes ago, classic said:

It says Octavia 110kw A7F.

A7F is Auto (dsg) / 7 gears / Front wheel drive.

wow. it makes sense now. but i have never seen 7 on the dash. in what speed normally gear shifts from 6 to 7!

lets come to the point now guys, do i have to have engine oil changed or i dont as main dealer said without inspecting the car?

No idea on the speed, I guess at least 40+ mph.

Officially no gearbox oil change is specified by the manufacturer.

e roottoot seems to know a lot about them, I’m sure the oil can be changed if you wanted to do it.

The dsg is not like an old style auto box with torque converter. It’s a type of manual gearbox where the clutch and gear changes are worked by gadgetry. 

Edited by classic

I was absolutely wrong. The gear shifts to D7. May be I didnt pay attention before. Front brake discs and pads are changed today. Saw some oil leaking in the front dampers. is it common for this car? or i need to look for new sets of damper as well?

IMG_20210304_095902.jpg

IMG_20210304_095740.jpg

Don't know if its already been said, but I've fitted EBC front pads and disks on mine and they're brilliant. I chose the slotted disks and yellow-stuff pads, but they do standard ones too. Ive had brembo in the past too, and although they're supposed to be a quality brand I would not recommend at all. I got hideous squeal from them about half way into their life and excessive vibrations (warped disks). When I actually came to replace them, the glue holding the friction material onto the pad backing plate had disintegrated so there friction material just fell off. I was very lucky that it didn't come off when I was driving. 

As far as the fluid, I change mine at least every two years, sooner if it looks bad (it will become darker). I used ATE last time I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/03/2021 at 13:59, MarkyG82 said:

Is no one else thinking 41k is low mileage for pads/discs?

I am having mine changed tommorow on 13000. Low usage has been detrimental to mine and the rears more so than the fronts have corroded on the inner face. The rear brakes stuck on and they are pulsating through the brake pedal. I am going for Ferodo All round. Discs and pads £500 all in.

• Like 1