Brake DISKS and PADS size and which brand to go for????

Hi,

Mine is 67plate skoda octavia hatch back (facelift) 1.4TSI and it is in 41k now. This is the first time I am going to change the disks and pads. In the front both are gone and the rear only pads..but i have decided to give it a treat by changing all over including brake fluid. recently i changed the whole 4 tyres.  I need advice regarding brakefluid whether it is really necessary to change or not. I know skoda says to change the fluid after 3years for the first time but once i went to kwik fit and they said it is unnecessary to change if brakefluid condition is ok),

Well, as i was browsing ECP it seems they have lots of different sizes of everything. Can someone point me out which one is right for my car (DISKS and PADS)?

And also which brand is worth to go?

thanks.

N.B: Do we have PR Code in our car, if yes then where can we find it?

Edited by automass

Phone them up instead of using their rubbish online parts by reg number system.  The staff have a better interface that they can consult to get closer to the correct parts, I believe.

Or use another motor factor before all such choices disappear and ECP have a monopoly.

• Thanks 1

For some reason the front brake PR code isn’t on the sticker in the car boot.

There are a few different size discs and the only way to be sure is to measure them. Mine is a 1.4 and it has 288mm diameter discs. Also the pads may or may not have wear sensors. Mine is se spec and doesn’t have wear sensors although every online parts supplier shows my car having wear sensor front pads....

I have had various troubles over the years with vag car brake parts and you want to have the old parts available to compare when you get them from motor factors unless they only list one possibility.

I have got brake parts for my Octavia from the local Skoda dealer, their systems tell them exactly what’s fitted to your vehicle.

I paid £40 for genuine rear pads which I personally was ok with. Mine will need front discs and pads later this year and I will get them from the dealer.

Edited by classic
  • Thanks 1

Within the last few months on both my cars, I have replaced discs and pads. Both sets were sourced from CarParts4Less, who were brilliant and speedy. I bought a set of Eicher for one car and Pagid for the other. Having seen the difference first hand, I would spend the little extra and buy Pagid based on my experience. Better made for sure.

• Thanks 1

I will give Pagid a try for the pads i think but in ECP they have another model of Disk and they said that is premium quality..price is not hugely difference. So wondering whether Pagid would be good to go or the other one ATI..I think it was?

Whatabout the sizes?

About to do the rears on my Passat at 43K, got brembo discs and pads due to them having some paint on the hubs and edges of the discs to try and slow the corrosion down.

Fornts have probably 50% left at least

27 minutes ago, automass said:

I will give Pagid a try for the pads i think but in ECP they have another model of Disk and they said that is premium quality..price is not hugely difference. So wondering whether Pagid would be good to go or the other one ATI..I think it was?

Whatabout the sizes?

Can't help you on the sizes. You could always ring a factor or dealer to confirm.

When it comes to replacement, I stick to one brand for both discs and pads. Just makes common sense to me.

14 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

Is no one else thinking 41k is low mileage for pads/discs?

It would be very low for me, I would expect at least double that as I drive sedately. However, in an urban area and heavier braking, doesn't sound too far out. 

No one is talking about Brake fluid changing which I requested for advice.

Thanks Westbury63. I got a good deal with carparts4less. I am gonna order before 4pm today to get them delivered tomorrow. I think I am not gonna change the rear pads and disks as they will last another 7 to 8months. I am tempting to change the pads only for rear though but wondering disk and pads changing together will be good idea to avoid the squwaking noise.

I do part time PCO though havent been doing much since i bought this car 2019 November. I bought it 26.5k.

Yes, the brake fluid should be changed after the first 3 years and then every 2 years afterwards.

It's not hard to flush new brake fluid through the system. However, if you get air into the system you'll need VCDS or similar to cycle the ABS pump to purge it.

Well, brake disk and pads are sorted. Now about service. this is another kind of confussion. car manual says 2years or 20k and as i spoke to the Norton Skoda dealer they said 12k or 1 year. the car was serviced on 26.5k when i bought and they did full servicing (Nov 2019) infoteinment system says another 3k and more than 3months to go to do servicing.

So, what should I do? Norton skoda gave me oil grade 0W20 and price £76 where as transcity gave me 5W30 for 30.84.

Can  somebody shade some light about Servicing and correct engine oil grade?

Fixed servicing is 1 year or ~10k miles depending what comes first.

Flexible servicing is 2 years or ~20k miles depending what comes first.

It'll depend on your thoughts about oil longevity and typical driving which suits best.

As for grade, I believe this is from the owners manual but you should check yours:

Screenshot 2019-07-21 at 16.37.00.png

• Thanks 1

the longlife service regime is up to 2 years or up to 20K calculated by the car, fixed servicing at a year or 12K is best IMO but you could argue in the short/medium term it probably wouldn't make any difference. I had a mk1 TT that had barely had 3 services in 65K and I removed the sump as a preventative measure as it wasn't uncommon to have sludge uild up but it was like new inside.

I think 5-30 is regarded as having the better protection vs the better fuel economy of the thinner oil.

If you decide to service it and reset the indicator yourself it will default to fixed servicing

So, I think I'll go yearly one from now onward (10k or per year). So which engine oil should I buy? 5W30 or 0W20? or something else?

Edited by automass

10 minutes ago, automass said:

So, I think I'll go yearly one from now onward 10k and per year. So which engine oil I should buy. 5W30 or 0W20? or something else?

I have always stuck fast to 10k max or yearly on the oil changes. Whichever comes sooner.

5w30 will be absolutely fine, as long as it meets the relevant VAG spec which langers2k kindly posted. VAG 508 00 or 504 00. I have used Mobil 1 in lots of cars, including our VRS 2.0 TFSi.

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/mobil-1-5w-30-esp-5ltr-521771861

Re CP4L, I've just ordered some car shampoo, oil filter and trim restorer, and decided to treat myself to one of these funky items!

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/streetwize-monkey-mitt-553983100

• Thanks 1

Where can I download all the service/maintenance information from? I have owners manual but it seems its generic and I dont have service book either. I need to know when I am due to change spark plugs, gear oil etc..

12 hours ago, automass said:

Where can I download all the service/maintenance information from? I have owners manual but it seems its generic and I dont have service book either. I need to know when I am due to change spark plugs, gear oil etc..

I do all of my own routine maintenance, you can download any manuals you need from Skoda 

https://erwin.skoda-auto.cz/erwin/showHome.do

You have to pay for time to access Erwin. I think when I did it was €7 for an hour, in which time you can download and save as much as you like. You can get the factory service schedule and workshop manuals for engine, gearbox, electrics, whatever you need.

With regards to oil I have used 5w30 and use Opie oils for oil and filter supply

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/

I personally have used Castrol Edge Titanium 5w30 LL Fully synthetic and change it approx every 9000 miles (which is every 7 months for me) and it costs about £50 for 5 litres and an oil filter from Opie.

• Thanks 1

it seems i opened an account up there before. i have retrieved my password and logged in. will it be worth paying £7? shall i be able to get maintenance schedule from there. I went to Skoda delaer to buy engine oil, filter, plug and washer. total £54.

I asked them about Gear oil, Spark plugs, timing belt maintenance schedule. the guy asked his colleague and confirmed me that my car doesn't require gear oil changing 40k is Spark plugs and 5years regardless miles is timing belt change.

If yours is dsg then the gearbox oil should be changed, sorry I don’t know from memory the period.

Spark plugs  40000 miles

Air filter   56000 miles or 6 years (I change at 40000 when plugs changed)

Pollen filter 40000 miles or 2 years

Timing belt is debatable, I’ve said enough on previous threads to say “it’s up to you !” Skoda uk say replace every 5 years regardless of mileage.

Brake fluid change, is first time after 3 years then every 2 years.

Edited by classic

this is my first auto car. i used to know that gear fluid required changing. but believe me, i spoke to dealers and i forgot who else but all of them said this car doesnt require gear fluid changing.  Can somebody else give us your thought or experience please.

i always change air filter every year. and pollen every two years. i will do brake fluid changing from Skoda dealer. though kwik fit said not necessary.

@automassChanging the airfilter every year if not even dirty is your choice.

You can blow clean an airfilter and not waste money un-necessarily if you want.  4 year / 40,000 miles or at 2nd services is pretty standard for them, 

but then checking if clean is advisable.

A DQ200 7 speed twin dry clutch DSG has not oil change due at anytime.

There are no manufacturers recommendations, guidelines or schedule for servicing a DQ200 DSG. 

(The 2 oil can be changed if you want to have them done, but there is no schedule.)

Kwik fit should be checking the brake fluid for the H20 content before saying no need to change brake fluid.

But then that is why not to use Kwik Fit fitters or managers for advice on servicing.

1135553596_ServiceSchedule.jpg.010f7f298e30d227a90f596bebce01ae.jpg

Edited by e-Roottoot

Just checked the service manual - if it’s 6 speed then oil change at 60000km (40k miles more or less).

If it’s 7 speed then as, e Roottoot says, no oil change required, sealed for life, there is no filler plug or way to check the level.

The 6 speed manual gearbox, which I have, also has no maintenance, other than to check it isn’t leaking. I won’t be changing its oil. 

• Confused 1

Mine is 6speed..doea it mean that my car required gear oil changing! But SKODA dealer says not required!!! How and where can I get the genuine info?

@classic

Obviously there is a filler plug for a DQ200 DSG.

There was a World Wide Recall in 2012 which excluded Europe which is out of the world, it got a Service Campaign.

That was to change the Synthetic oil to mineral using the drain plug and refilling using the filler hole, and there was a software update. '34F7'.

Then 2013-2015 some DQ200's had the Service Campaign '34H5'.

But there is no level checking when you change the oil doing it correctly and filling to the quantity required as some here have done themselves.

@automass  Are you talking about a 1.4 TSI & saying you have a 6 speed DSG, so a wet clutch DSG?

MY BAD, & sorry i had no idea there were such Mk3 Octavia.  

Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 18.31.02.png

Edited by e-Roottoot

7 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@classic

Obviously there is a filler plug for a DQ200 DSG.

There was a World Wide Recall in 2012 which excluded Europe which is out of the world, it got a Service Campaign.

That was to change the Synthetic oil to mineral using the drain plug and refilling using the filler hole, and there was a software update. '34F7'.

Then 2013-2015 some DQ200's had the Service Campaign '34H5'.

But there is no level checking when you change the oil doing it correctly and filling to the quantity required as some here have done themselves.