Best tyres for VRS

I run Michelin pilot Sport 4 and 4S for summer and Continental Winter Contact 860 and 860S for winter tyres.

All-season tyres have moved on a huge amount in recent years and are a real option even if just used in place of winter tyres.

Two I run and have been mighty impressed by.

Goodyear vector 4seasons (I have Gen 2, Gen3 are even better) winter-biased all season tyre that is happy in all but the hottest summer months.

Bridgestone Weather Control A005 EVO, absolutely stonking tyre for a wet UK winter and still perfectly competent with a good layer of snow. Have not seen it through a summer but may leave the PS4Ss off for a while too see how they do. If this kind of tyre was the default for the UK there would be a lot less bent metal on the roads come winter even if we did not see snow.

Edited by flybynite
Autocorrect yankified my spelling of tyre
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, FrankLK said:

How much is difference between 4 & 4S on dry braking/acceleration? 

I had PS4 on my fiesta ST and they were still a brilliant tyre in the dry and the wet. If I couldn’t get PS4S they’d be my next choice. 

23 minutes ago, FrankLK said:

How much is difference between 4 & 4S on dry braking/acceleration? 

There is not much overlap in sizes between the 4 and 4S. My cars that have 4 cannot fit 4S and vice versa

If I have the choice I would go for the 4S every time

One overlap size was tested here

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Towelie said:

I had PS4 on my fiesta ST and they were still a brilliant tyre in the dry and the wet. If I couldn’t get PS4S they’d be my next choice. 

PS4S only came third on this test published today

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-UUHP-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

1 hour ago, SurreyJohn said:

And? The lad asked if they PS4 were any good compared to PS4S I answered his question based on my experience of having driven with both types of tyre.

Note that the test was done on a Ford Mustang with 265/35 R20 tyres fitted, not a front wheel drive euro hatchback. 

Not to discredit the review, clearly the bridgestone is a cracking tyre if you drive a mustang ;)

15 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Rankings are not relevant unless you know what is being scored and what weighting is given to each. You need to read the reviews and tests to see if the combination of characteristics is what you want in a tyre.

If I want the best tyre for grip, a lot of time they do not score well for noise, cost, wear or rolling resistance but I am more than happy with that.

I have said it before and will say it again (and again no doubt) that you pick the tyre for the conditions you see most.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Quite on the spot, my conditions are mainly dry with hot summers, agile city driving on worn, slippery asphalt. The other problem with UUHP tyres are available dimensions for our skodas. 

I always use 

Continental Sport Contact 5
225/40 R18 Y (92)

Unbeliveble wet grip can throw your car into any corner and feel safe high grip all round no twitching. No wheel spin 

I rate Falken azenzis FK510, seem to be rated on some of the tyre tests I’ve watched. Had a set on my old Clio 197, and just replaced the fronts on my Vrs last week with a pair of falkens instantly loads more grip around wet roundabouts than the P zero’s they replaced 

• 3 weeks later...

Just installed this week Bridgestone Potenza Sport in 225/40/18, the grip is so much more then on my previous PS4, I was waiting for PS4S but the price is not normal. 

PS4, don't buy if you don't drive a lot in a year, not worth extra money, after 3 years and 30tkm they were so loud noisy, disaster. 

19 hours ago, FrankLK said:

PS4, don't buy if you don't drive a lot in a year, not worth extra money, after 3 years and 30tkm they were so loud noisy, disaster. 

Well I have run for 3 years on the same tyre and same size (same engine too :biggrin:) and that is not my experience.

You will always get more grip on a new tyre to one that is completely worn, even if you replace it with the same.

If I could not go with the PS4, for me it would be Continental premium contact 6, if not then the F1-AS5 (or Supersport for a summer-only tyre)

Potenza would not figure.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 12/03/2021 at 10:46, flybynite said:

I run Michelin pilot Sport 4 and 4S for summer and Continental Winter Contact 860 and 860S for winter tyres.

All-season tyres have moved on a huge amount in recent years and are a real option even if just used in place of winter tyres.

Two I run and have been mighty impressed by.

Goodyear vector 4seasons (I have Gen 2, Gen3 are even better) winter-biased all season tyre that is happy in all but the hottest summer months.

Bridgestone Weather Control A005 EVO, absolutely stonking tyre for a wet UK winter and still perfectly competent with a good layer of snow. Have not seen it through a summer but may leave the PS4Ss off for a while too see how they do. If this kind of tyre was the default for the UK there would be a lot less bent metal on the roads come winter even if we did not see snow.

I'm going to have to change my fronts on my vRS Octy, and am undecided between the A005 Evo and the Vector 4season gen3s. Given the Tyrereview tests, I'm leaning towards the Bridgestones, given I live by the coast, so snow is very rare, plus I need to change them in the autumn, not winter as the fronts have around 6-8 weeks life left in them. How did you get on with them? Did you run them into warmer weather?

12 hours ago, stever750 said:

How did you get on with them? Did you run them into warmer weather?

Did not run them into the summer as the PS4Ss went on in the spring but I would say the Bridgestone will be better than the Vectors in the summer as the Vectors are winter-based all seasons and I used to use them as winters and take them off in the summer on one of mine