Whats the issue with retro fitting hid kit

Hi guys sorry if this is an issue being pulled up again. Im looking to fit an hid kit i have spare. It was fitted to a host of vectras i used to own so has the canbus warning cancellers with them. I also had them in the octavia for some time also. But ive been told that its not a good idea to fit them to either skoda as it destroys something??  But ive had them fitted in the octavia with no issues at all.  

The BCM seems sensitive to some electronic loads, it appears that some HID kits, especially those with CAN-bus 'friendly' adaptors damage the internal electronic chips over time.

The end result is the chip fails and the indicator bulb always starts lit...

You then either need to replace the BCM or find a decent electronics shop to diagnose and repair it.

Your Octavia is older and probably doesn't have a BCM. Instead it's probably got a CECM and CCM. On that generation HID kits tend to kill the wiper motor 🤣

You've also got the road worthiness side too. At least in the UK it should fail the MOT but I'm unfamiliar with the Irish regulations. Without self leveling you're very likely to cause glare to other drivers..

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, langers2k said:

The BCM seems sensitive to some electronic loads, it appears that some HID kits, especially those with CAN-bus 'friendly' adaptors damage the internal electronic chips over time.

The end result is the chip fails and the indicator bulb always starts lit...

You then either need to replace the BCM or find a decent electronics shop to diagnose and repair it.

Your Octavia is older and probably doesn't have a BCM. Instead it's probably got a CECM and CCM. On that generation HID kits tend to kill the wiper motor 🤣

You've also got the road worthiness side too. At least in the UK it should fail the MOT but I'm unfamiliar with the Irish regulations. Without self leveling you're very likely to cause glare to other drivers..

Yeah the octavia is 2004 mk2 . The superb is 2011 (am i right in saying theres greenline and non greenline tdi? ) yeah they dont pass mot due to non level and no headlamp washers. But as long as its projector style head lamp they have never given bother unlike the reflector style lamp with someone running the brightest bulb possible blinding everyone. Thanks for the info again ive had the octavia for a while but ive mostly been a vauxhall man but ive been swayed by skoda for a while now but havent looked at upgraded etc bjt this superb needs a little tlc .

Putting a HID capsule into any lamp designed for halogen bulbs is going to be less than ideal, even if it's a projector lamp. The 'shape' of the light output is different, and a halogen lamp won't be able to collect up all of the light correctly and direct it onto the road where you need it. This will also lead to some glare for other motorists.

You'll probably get better results putting in high output halogen bulbs like Osram Nightbreaker.

I fitted HID's using a harness with relay and resistors for cancelling canbus errors, have used this way for a couple of years without problem, light pattern is perfect and output is better than halogen and doesn't dazzle anyone. For the MOT it's a 5 minute job to put the halogen ones back in.

A HID kit like that transformed the halogen projector lamps on my MK2 Octavia but they were crap to start with even when I had replaced them with brand new Hella OE lhd units.

I did have to lower the beam adjustment twice after setting it in my usual manner as I was getting flashes from oncoming motorists, not surprising because I could see a couple of kms!!!

When I found the happy medium the lights were still several magnitudes better than with the halogen bulbs.

Even though the beam showed a sharp cut off on my garage door I think there must have been enough diffusion or scatter to make me have to lower them, they did go through a CT test without any comments later on so the beam was neither high nor low and the tester does not care about whether its halogen or HID.

I fully expected to have to do the same thing on this Yeti but the standard non projector halogen lamps are 10 x better than the Octavia projector candles.