Tyneside’s ‘Fart’ Lamps

MikeTheThinker

A bit of Googling {tm} for info about the north-east England's Kielder Forest Drive led me to an interesting travel blog which informs and entertains without overdoing the self-promotion.

One of the recent items regards Tyneside's 'Stinky' Gas Lights - or 'Fart Lamps'.  Interesting and educational with good piccies - and I've added it to my 'one day' tour plans.

https://tammytourguide.wordpress.com/2020/12/01/the-stinky-gas-light-tour-tynesides-fart-lamps/?blogsub=confirmed#blog_subscription-4

• Like 2

I've definitely walked passed the ones in Whitley Bay, my mate works near the Spanish City.

2 hours ago, Lee01 said:

there's two Openreach ECI DSLAM's in those pics

Could you help someone not of the cognoscenti (me) understand what your acronyms mean, please?  The limit of my knowledge of BT pavement furniture is "there's a green cupboard with an OpenReach fibre broadband advert on it" :)

Edited by MikeTheThinker
typo
  • Haha 2

ECI = the brand The Electronics Corporation of Israel
DSLAM = Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer. 

Fibre goes in, wizardry know only to God and some boffins in a lab happens, and light is turned into electrical signals for copper wire to your router.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

ECI = the brand The Electronics Corporation of Israel
DSLAM = Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer.

Now I can amaze and astound my friends as I'm out walking the dog by commenting, casually, as we pass a green box "Did you know, that's a DSLAM?  Made in Israel, don't you know!" :)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Fibre goes in, wizardry know only to God and some boffins in a lab happens, and light is turned into electrical signals for copper wire to your router

This bit I'm fine with, having a passing familiarity with magic at that level - plus my best mate just _loves_ creating yet another wondrous device from a microprocessor smaller than a gnat's nuts and some bits of wet string - and then telling me all about it :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Some aren't. Some are Huawei :worried: 

But how can I tell?  Imagine the social embarrassment I'd suffer if I happened to misidentify a green box?  My dog would disown me!

Edited by MikeTheThinker
typo
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, MikeTheThinker said:

But how can I tell?  Imagine the social embarrassment I'd suffer of I happened to misidentify a green box?  My dog would disown me!

theres probably a manufacturer stamp/ label on it somewhere. 

just "its probably from israel" 50/50 ypur right

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MikeTheThinker said:

But how can I tell?  Imagine the social embarrassment I'd suffer if I happened to misidentify a green box?  My dog would disown me!

Number of vents on the door and side ;) 

4 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Number of vents on the door and side

You can't just leave me hanging there! How many vents for which supplier?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, MikeTheThinker said:

Now I can amaze and astound my friends as I'm out walking the dog by commenting, casually, as we pass a green box "Did you know, that's a DSLAM?  Made in Israel, don't you know!" :)

How did DSLAM suddenly come from Israel ?

This isn't to save your social embarrassment. It's purely to keep your dog from disowning you :D
The middle one is the ECI DSLAM ;) 

cab_288.png.9dd95b19204f0e11771212c5062d290a.pngcab_128.png.dd1f00ee6c3838a3e53bc73acd473f00.pngcab_96.png.f9cd59b8bbe0c7a895e47e4768ed7786.png

Edited by Lee01

21 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

It's purely to keep your dog from disowning you

My dog thanks you for helping her avoid that scenario ...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

The middle one is the ECI DSLAM

Do the Chinese feel less secure about their technology? Their box has a lot more locks than the Israeli one.

Or is there a Mossad agent living in every ESI box to protect their national interests? ;)

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, MikeTheThinker said:

is there a Mossad agent living in every ESI box to protect their national interests

its interesting you say that... i had a thought when lee posted it originally..  people are paranoid about huawei but have no issue with the amount of israeli gear that gets used, and lets face it... mossad are just as likely to be storing and analysing your data as the chinese...

Edited by mac11irl

I’d like to point out there was a reason the Huawei kit was popular....

Also the Cabinet could take more DSLAM modules/copper ports than the other and could be upgraded with an extension Cabinet to take extra modules.

Nearly all of the in home boxes were also Huawei and their Radio area networks and passive optical fibres supported most of the mobile operators in getting services out there.

As for the Chinese storing your data, never going to happen. BT used different manufacturers at different levels, so even if one manufacturer did try it, the data wouldn’t get out without BT being aware.

Far easier for whoever to just go phishing or install something of the persons computer I would say.

A bonus on the situation is that OpenRAN is getting a good run at it.

The fart lamps are kind of cool though and the building behind is pretty.

Those cabinets (in the first picture)look so faded and have central doors, so like the old copper ones. Clearly the weather is just so rubbish up there they’ve aged mega quick. 😂

Edited by cheezemonkhai