Untraceable Rattle

stephmobile

I used to have a 2010 reg 2 wheel drive Yeti that developed a rattle that appeared to come from behind the dash but could not be traced. I sold it it eventually, still rattling. I have just bought another Yeti, 2013 reg L & K spec, and after a day of ownership there is an untraceable(to me )rattle. I think it comes from the front, her ladyship thinks it comes from the rear.

Is this rattling a common Yeti problem?

Chris

My A4 has currently "something" in the air duct. I've seen it once thru driver side vent, it looked like a piece of circuit board. It moves from left to right and back depending on how hard turns I make. And rattles every now and then. Annoying.

Once weather warms up enough I'll take the air filter out and try to see if I can reach it that way. 

I had rattle on a l and k coming from what I thought was the rear area,cleared the boot completely only to find the sun roof was the problem (pressed against it when driving)had it repaired by skoda as it was a known issue with a service instruction issued .

Today morning was -16C and I can now confirm something goes brr brr brr somewhere in the dashboard. For now I fixed it by turning up radio volume. 

I don't think I've heard or noticed it before but it hasn't been this cold before either during my ownership of this car. So it could be temperature related or I just haven't paid attention to it before I read this topic...  Damnit. 

My Yeti used to have an odd rattle. Turned out it was the little piece of silver trim on the centre ventilation grill adjusters. Drove me mad till I found it.

Andy

2 hours ago, freedie said:

That'd be me then.

I understand, so it was a temperature thing. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have a simillar issue with my 2010 1.2 Yeti, rattling behind the glove compartment, under the bonnet, and the rattling occurs only on cold days, 5-6C or below. It turned out the metal pipes from the fuel lines passing right where I described are making the rattle, check if it's the same with yours. 

I think the cause was parking disc and flashlight that I have in the door pocket. Usually they are wedged together to avoid rattle but sometimes they do come loose. At least I hope so, if it was something else I might have to wait until next winter to find out. 

If the noise is coming from the back of the car, then the tailgate stops might be in need of adjustment.  This is a known cause of rattles on Yetis.  Try winding them out one turn to see if it makes any difference.