DSG Farts / cat-back exhaust

Hey!

After i have reached 3000+ km with my RS, I noticed that there are no exhaust sound at all, no DSG farts, nothing (the only similar thing is with launch control, when revving it gives that crackling sound inside (i have no acutator).
Maybe anyone knows the reason why it is so silent and how to make it louder (without voiding engine warranty) ?

I was thinking about cat-back exhaust (as downpipe would definetly void warranty) but I am not sure if it will make those infamous DSG sounds (but would definetly make exhaust louder).

I still need to contact dealer about cat-back to be sure that it would not void warranty.

Another thing I was thinking (and maybe someone done this here on this forum) - Maxhaust active sound. It has a some sort of a speaker that you install under the car and control via mobile app. It connects via canbus and responds to throttle etc. But I am a little bit worried that it might void electronics warranty as I will place something aftermarket into canbus...

Anyone had any experience or plans with their RS exhaust sound ?

This is the issue with almost all new cars since now also petrol cars have OPF filters which is the main reason for lack of sound coming from the exhaust. If you want cracks and pops and bangs, you need to remove the OPF. I think currently this is not yet possible on the new Octavia since it needs computer adaptation to lack of OPF filter.

I'm planning to buy a cat-back system in the following months. But I don't expect much. I will be happy even with only a bit deeper sound. 

Ahh that makes sense then... Thanks!
These environment laws are sometimes annoying :( I know they are good but ehh..

Still Golf R and GTI and for example Seat Cupra sound much better..

I think I will wait for Skoda community to sort exhaust thing and maybe more custom exhaust available on the market (as currently none of the pages like Remus, Miltek, FI etc. have MK4 RS exhausts).

Please post vid when you install cat-back! Also, it is not voiding your warranty ?

And which manufacturer you are considering ? :)

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Anth1s said:

Still Golf R and GTI and for example Seat Cupra sound much better..

This is true. I know there are some tricks to avoid this laws a bit but I don't know the details. My guess is also that VW doesn't allow Skoda having all the goodies that VW has.

I'm not aware that changing cat-back exhaust would cause voiding warranty. I think it falls under the spare parts category same as brakes.

We have a local manufacturer here in Slovenia. I think I will go with them. But I'm not decided yet. Remus said they will probably have a cat-back ready in June/July. And I'm waiting for Milltek response.

• 2 years later...
9 hours ago, Logan2194 said:

Anyone have any updates on their exhausts?

I've started having a look into exhaust mods, never used to be bothered about it however my wife's 1 litre Juke sounds better than the VRS 😂

I hear that. My missus i30 has more of a growl and it's only an SR. Not keen to void warranty so only looking for a cat back too. Only one I've heard though that would tick the box was dutchvrs (I think) but that's a custom cat back. Ive tried finding the topic but cant locate it. He had a video posted. Was subtle but exactly what I was after. It's on the shopping list but in Aus, not 100% sure where to go

Yep, that's the one. Not OTT and sounding the way that it should have sounded from the factory.  If I could replicate that, so would jump on it.  Wish I could order that exhaust from shop!

Shame that a policy aimed at race exhausts on the rds stops cars like ours from sounding the way they should.  

I must say I'm so disappointed with the lack of noise from the VRS. I had a courtesy scala from the dealership the other week and even that sounded better 🙄

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered Milltek cat back non resonated exhaust. Waited about 2 months because some adapter was missing. Unfortunately after waiting they still forgot to send me that adapter to fit with oe downpipe (shown on first and second picture). Instead they sent me 2x MSVW482 which was too small to go from oe downpipe to the catback syatem (shown on 3rd and 4th picture). So had to make the adapter ourself to fit the exhaust (shown on 5th & 6th picture). And on top of that the clamps submitted by milltek were leaking after tightening bolts up so had to use sealant. But afterall managed to fit the cat back exhaust and now its making a bit more sound.

First 30 sec with original exhaust after that with milltek non resonated cat back. Unfortunately video dont show that much difference, actually it is pretty ok. 

Screenshot_20230815_191339_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230815_201808_Chrome.jpg

20230815_205048.jpg

20230815_203303.jpg

Screenshot_20230815_235600_Gallery.jpg

20230815_212043.jpg

Screenshot_20230815_235444_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230815_235502_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Kristo97
  • Like 1

Thanks for the detailed post Kristo! I was think about getting this exhaust or maybe the Remus one. 
It does sound better than stock but I must admit a little bit disappointing… 

As others have mentioned before to get any real exhaust sound improvement we might have to swap out the downpipe. 

Xhaust sounds much better than stock. Not quite GTi but a step in the right direction. 

That's what I've heard too. Just not prepared to do that whilst I'm leasing the car and under warranty. Amazing that gti, ni30's all play by the same EPA rules but sound like they should. I have to admit, can't understand why we can't retrofit the golf gti exhaust with adapters. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kristo97 said:

Anyone know if swapping out downpipe with decat or with sport/race cat (options shown in pictures) does the car show check engine light? Or will it work fine without tune?

Screenshot_20230816_135237_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230816_135228_Chrome.jpg

Checked it with my tuner when I did the remap and yes, you will get ECU error from the O2 sensors reading pre and post catalytic converter. If you really want to install either you play with O2 sensor spacers or you get just an ECU tune for OPF off exclusively, I would say it's already on the market for the Simos 19.6.

I do not know how emissions regulations work in Estonia, how rigorous they are in the TUV check, but here in France you get a fail with full de-cat downpipe ... so If you want to pass, you have to dismount and mount again the downpipe ... and that's not peanuts, because to remove the OPF you are obliged to dismount the lower subframe completely. That's the reason why I put the installation of de-cat downpipe aside. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mario_Delgado said:

Checked it with my tuner when I did the remap and yes, you will get ECU error from the O2 sensors reading pre and post catalytic converter. If you really want to install either you play with O2 sensor spacers or you get just an ECU tune for OPF off exclusively, I would say it's already on the market for the Simos 19.6.

I do not know how emissions regulations work in Estonia, how rigorous they are in the TUV check, but here in France you get a fail with full de-cat downpipe ... so If you want to pass, you have to dismount and mount again the downpipe ... and that's not peanuts, because to remove the OPF you are obliged to dismount the lower subframe completely. That's the reason why I put the installation of de-cat downpipe aside. 

What do you mean by play with o2 sensor spacers? Since the car is about 3 months old dont want to ecu tune cause its going to void warranty i guess.

In Estonia you will get fail also with full de cat, but the tuv check with new car is after 4 years, then after 3years and so on. 

But if theres need to lower the subframe to change downpipe then it would be good idea to order downpipe with cat.

So does anyone know whats the difference between sport cat and race cat? Not very much information on this from google.

Edit// what hp/nm did you achieve with remap and which mods included?

Edited by Kristo97

Using O2 sensor spacers is not an exact science. Mainly, on the market you have straight spacers and 90° elbow spacers, all with different lengths so you would need to check and try which one would be the one passing the check ... not triggering the engine error light.

And yes, you have to lower the subframe, at least the left side, there is not enough clearance, VAQ differential is blocking the clean way out.

I am in stage 1 for both ecu and dsg ... with 324 hp and 492 nm. Mods just turbo inlet/outlet and RacingLine R600 intake ... and so far so good. Real pitty the lack of exhaust sound but that's what we have.

• Like 2