Adaptive Headlights

I have a 2018 L&K Superb estate. When I switch on the adaptive headlights, I am constantly flashed by oncoming traffic as the headlights are not dipping. Is this a "feature"?

I got flashed a couple if times on a short winter commute  then realised that I had accidentally switched to constant main beam rather than leaving it on auto. Otherwise I find them very effective as they shape the main beam away from oncoming traffic rather than just dipping automatically. I presume your windscreen light sensors aren't blocked 

I've never been flashed with my high beams on my SLA headlights.

They react and mask very well.

As @Redboymentioned, make sure U haven't gone past the auto high beam function, to manual high beam.  U'll know this is the case if u see the blue high beam icon on ur dash.

At the 1 min mark in this video, it shows U where the A5 camera is located.

https://youtu.be/maOZ8_2ZpX0

7 hours ago, techsearchuk said:

I think you can set the sensitivity to Early and Late if I remember correctly 

That is in relation to how quickly or slowly U want the Auto headlights to turn on/off (the low beams) based on lighting conditions.

7 hours ago, ashfan said:

Does SLA come as standard on a 67 plate L&K Superb

7 minutes ago, Redboy said:

I assume they do as  JR RS posted above, his car is a 2017 model. 

It was a £100 option on the L&K from that year.

• Like 1

Thanks both. I hope to be looking at such a car tomorrow and I can't see SLA listed in the features list. I suppose though that there's so much tech in the car that they can't think of and include everything in the list. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ashfan said:

Thanks both. I hope to be looking at such a car tomorrow and I can't see SLA listed in the features list. I suppose though that there's so much tech in the car that they can't think of and include everything in the list. 

I have driven a lot of cars over 40 years including  Jags, 5 Series and the Superb L&K overall equipment and performance, considering the price I paid almost new, is more than competitive. You might also consider a well-specced Volvo T5 Inscription Plus. Nice interior but I don’t think they have AWD though. 

Thanks Redboy. I've never considered a Volvo to be honest. Took me a while to find a T5 on autotrader (I didn't know I had to choose an S60) but it doesn't seem to come in estate form which is what I'm really after. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Redboy said:

I assume they do as  JR RS posted above, his car is a 2017 model. 

No they don't come as standard, in any model, even L&K.  they're an optional extra.

i retrofitted SLA to mine.
here in Oz, we don't even get the option to build/spec one with SLA.

so i went the long way - sourced the bits and pieces, and did myself.  u can read about it here.

6 hours ago, ashfan said:

Thanks John. Something to look for tomorrow. 

If u have SLA, in addition to the whiskers/eye-lashes, ur headlight start-up dance should look like this.

This is different to the normal/standard bi-xenons.

Whiskers in DRL mode below.  They dim with the DRL strip when the side lights or low beams r switched on.

140417148_SLAeyelashes01.thumb.jpg.318c7cad78aebd67b2e210a9b5fff352.jpg

Edited by JR RS