B8 pre facelift Dynamic Chassis Control - worth it?

Hello!

Does anyone have any feedback on the DCC option on the pre-faclift estate Superb?  I'm aware that the l&k versions came with it as standard but it would have been an option on a Sportline.  Has anyone tried both and can comment on how effective it is?

Am I right in thinking it's four electrically adapted dampeners?  Or in the rear on air shocks?

Thanks!

It’s 4 electronically controlled shocks. I appear to be in the minority as I don’t think it’s worth the £1000 extra it costs on the SportLine. I find my car completely acceptable and if you want the best from it anyway you are better off spending some of that money on aftermarket components. 

You seem to be in the same quandary I was when buying - SportLine and SportLine Plus doesn’t have quite enough options as standard and well optioned cars are hard to come across but the L&K is a bit too stately for me (I’m 26 lol) and not available in the best colour. In the end I found a car with most of the options I wanted and I can build from that. It’s the perfect colour as well haha

F2CF9A03-4A8F-48AD-9F64-DB7E4B8F45A2.thumb.jpeg.deda79dd29b0d207cbb58990305bb1a0.jpeg

I find the suspension very soft and bouncy without changing the suspension to sport in my Sportline.. I couldn't imagine not having DCC.

I do about 2500 miles a month just on the motorway, let alone standard use... Really I want comfort but the option to firm things up for the faster stuff would be ace!  I'm led to believe the DCC has quite a wide range of effectiveness on the Superb, is that your experience defiant?

In reality I wouldn’t overthink it though, I spent months trying to get a car with all the options I wanted and it just wasn’t possible, there was always something missing as they are used cars. L&K has a killer spec and certainly includes the spec you appear to be after :)

Pretty sure the DCC shocks are reactive* rather than just having different settings so there is more to it than just being able to make them stiff or soft.

*They react to bumps in a similar way to the koni fsd so should be much more comfortable than standard shocks. 

They also seem to last longer but cost a small fortune when they do need replacing.

Edited by MarkyG82
Typo

I could not drive a superb without DCC. It's way too bouncy with the standard suspension over speed bumps. And we have a lot of speed bumps in my country. With DCC in sport it takes the speed bumps much much better. I have heard of people adding extra springs to the rear suspension to cope with the bouncyness without having DCC

53 minutes ago, CaptainPuke said:

Hmm I wonder if the DCC dampeners are covered by Skoda warranty?  I'd best check that, cause I won't have them if they aren't!

No, they are classed as wear and tear. Covered for 6,500 miles/6 months under factory warranty, no cover at all under the extended Skoda warranty

https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/warranty

Don't even ask how much they cost to replace......

I have DCC but find the difference in modes too subtle, just too bouncy/uncontrolled over speed bumps in Comfort, too bone jiggling over rough roads in Sport. Spends all time in Normal for me. Not really worth the £1000 I paid.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, xman said:

No, they are classed as wear and tear. Covered for 6,500 miles/6 months under factory warranty, no cover at all under the extended Skoda warranty

https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/warranty

Don't even ask how much they cost to replace......

I have DCC but find the difference in modes too subtle, just too bouncy/uncontrolled over speed bumps in Comfort, too bone jiggling over rough roads in Sport. Spends all time in Normal for me. Not really worth the £1000 I paid.

Someone else who agrees!! I feel the exact same about it, but all I ever get on the Superb owners page on fb (a very happy bunch they are!) is grief over that view point. They don’t seem the modifying type though so maybe that’s why.

L&K here.

Comfort = too floaty.

Normal = OK ish.

Sport = More Controlled / stiff. 

Mines is driven in Sport mode all the time unless the wife is in the car & then its Normal.  

• Like 1

Mines generally in Normal unless it’s a very good bit of road and then it’s sport, as normal is still far too bouncy for most situations. I do find sport is far to harsh for most situations, as anything even close to an uneven surface just thumps and bangs like the shocks are dead. I have had one replaced on the front at about 14k and at just over a year old under warranty, as it started leaking. 
I’ve been waiting on a set of damptronics arriving but no sign of them as yet. So I’d say if you get a car with DCC and fit better shocks, it should be a better proposition then, than standard suspension. 
The oem’s in mine are monroe, so it is possible they could be stripped and adjusted to give a different level of absorption under each setting, but I’ve never bothered to look into it. 

DCC paired with Eibach or H&R springs (with a 30mm or so drop) works really well.

after putting Eibach ProKit springs in mine:- 

- DCC Comfort is now equivalent to wat DCC Normal was before

- DCC Normal is now equivalent to wat DCC Sport was before

- DCC Sport is now firmer than wat DCC Sport was before

prior to lowering, i used to drive around with DCC set to Sport as it was bit too floaty to my liking in Normal.

after lowering, i'm quite happy to leave DCC in Normal most of the time.  the only time i change it to Sport is when i'm doing spirited driving through windy twisty roads :)

one day, i'll replace my DCC shocks with the Bilstein B6 Damptronic shocks.

Edited by JR RS
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/03/2021 at 19:28, SashaGrace said:

Someone else who agrees!! I feel the exact same about it, but all I ever get on the Superb owners page on fb (a very happy bunch they are!) is grief over that view point. They don’t seem the modifying type though so maybe that’s why.

Sasha, I understand  your view, it’s an expensive option, particularly if the L&K look is too ‘grandad’. It took me a bit of self-convincing to buy one. I haven’t driven a non-DCC Superb, I think the best option is to drive both and make your own conclusions. Personally after owning the VRS and GTI, DCC sport mode is required on back roads, which truth be told isn’t the Superb’s natural environment. 

1 hour ago, CaptainPuke said:

Thanks for all the replies - have settled on an L&K model, just waiting for the right one to come along now.  Cheers!

I did the same thing to get the spec. I’ll be getting mine de-chromed in a few weeks when things start to open up again. Should change the look enough without losing the extras.