Anyone had ceramic coating?

1963Malc

Decided to keep the Yeti after I have the zinc inclusion damage repainted next week. 

Going to give it a few weeks and get the alloys refurbed and then the car is going to be detailed. 

I can have a wax finish or can go to a ceramic coating for paint and alloys, which I quite like the sound of. Anyone had it done already and how has it lasted? 

Not all ceramic coatings are equal, some will barely last a year. 

I had Gtechniq Crystal Serum applied to my Superb over 5 years ago and haven’t added anything on top in that time and it’s still beading water nicely. 

It’s all relevant to the price you pay. 

Gtechniq is supposedly good for 9 years , but it comes at a price. 

Find out what they will be using, if it’s done on a driveway and the price etc. 

I refused it for my two Yeti, but it was done on the Fabia. If there is accident damage the whole car has to be redone

• Like 1

@1963Malc  I take it you are getting the car repainted after the zinc inclusion has been dealt with and you are not getting new panels and those painted.

I would not rush to spend money on treatments before seeing how good the repair and painting is done.

See what the detailer says when it comes to that.  Better still talk to the painter.

On a 5 year old car with original paint and repainted panels i would stick with polishing and waxing the car.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

I refused it for my two Yeti, but it was done on the Fabia. If there is accident damage the whole car has to be redone

No, you only have to re-coat any panels that have been painted 

Yes. Inclusions are being blitzed, treated and then painted. 

I’ve googled good and bad bits about ceramic coating and that’s quite an eye opener, especially that they need cleaning very often. I may just get the paint corrected and the car waxed with a better wax, rather than coated.

Thanks for your responses. 

Edited by 1963Malc

Thanks Gizmo.

I never wanted it as it does need frequent cleaning, so what is the point?

When this stuff first came out it was very expensive and I was surprised

when I was offered the coating on a second hand Ford for £25 as they were

clearing stock.

On 29/03/2021 at 18:19, 1963Malc said:

Decided to keep the Yeti after I have the zinc inclusion damage repainted next week. 

Going to give it a few weeks and get the alloys refurbed and then the car is going to be detailed. 

I can have a wax finish or can go to a ceramic coating for paint and alloys, which I quite like the sound of. Anyone had it done already and how has it lasted? 

I wouldn’t use any sort of paint correction on fresh paint for about 3 months after it was done. I’ve seen cars with a genuine and quality 9h coating still protected after 5-6yrs. Gizmos is a well known quality item, or I would use the RaceGlaze 9h coating as well. Or you can now get a 10h coating from Gtechniq as well that Ive seen give great results as well. Be careful of people claiming ceramic and adding a “ceramic” wax instead. A genuine coating will make your normal washing procedure an awful lot easier. 
Should have said, a genuine coating will be done inside and then require being left inside for at least 24hrs after application with an instruction not to wash the paint for at least one to two weeks afterwards. And a properly corrected car with a 9h then applied is ballpark £500-£600 depending on paintwork condition before starting. 

Edited by UndertheRadar
  • Like 1

I had Gtechniq Crystal Serum with EXO professionally applied to my new car before I collected it from the dealer.

It's black, easy to keep clean and looks stunning even now...20 months later.

• Like 1

Fair point about leaving new paint for 3 months. 

I’ve been quoted between £500 and £600 for 9h and a 3 day window or £250 for just a wax but that’ll take 2 days.

13 minutes ago, 1963Malc said:

Brilliant Silver metallic. Your video shows a fabulous result. Hope mine can look as good. 

The video shows **** all for me aside from the timer countdown, the window looks like one for an audio clip but it is silent.

Editted. Video by Undertheradar, hovering mouse over it it reveals to be an audio clip, maybe if I could turn the volume up enough it would sound like a brilliant shiny finish :D

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

The video shows **** all for me aside from the timer countdown, the window looks like one for an audio clip but it is silent.

Editted. Video by Undertheradar, hovering mouse over it it reveals to be an audio clip, maybe if I could turn the volume up enough it would sound like a brilliant shiny finish :D

It looks like you need to download before playing and it is a video. :thumbup:

The option I think you are referring to is (in French on my computer) "save the audio file in............"

Enregistrer le fichier audio sous.............

Both right side doors have got several patches in the lower 6” where the paint had blistered and then broke. After they were declared as stone chips, I sanded them and primed/painted them during lockdown but the corrosion broke through again and they’re not looking their best. 

Skoda bodyshop are going to take the bottom 6” of paint back to metal, treat, prime, paint both doors and blend in. 

3 hours ago, john999boy said:

It looks like you need to download before playing and it is a video. :thumbup:

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

The option I think you are referring to is (in French on my computer) "save the audio file in............"

Enregistrer le fichier audio sous.............

Funnily enough I've now checked on my desktop/Firefox and it plays as an audio file there whereas before I viewed it on my Android phone with Chrome.

Maybe @UndertheRadar can re-upload to Youtube or somewhere similar to allow the full shiny experience to be seen by everyone?

10 minutes ago, john999boy said:

Funnily enough I've now checked on my desktop/Firefox and it plays as an audio file there whereas before I viewed it on my Android phone with Chrome.

Maybe @UndertheRadar can re-upload to Youtube or somewhere similar to allow the full shiny experience to be seen by everyone?

I don’t do you tube and beyond uploading the way I did from my phone I don’t really bother with computers either.  Beyond a diagnostic computer I’ve no real use for them in daily life unfortunately.