P0172 but emissions ok

Hi wino no didnt take it for a drive but what i did notice after I checked for vacuum leaks and locating pcv valve was when i connected back up to vcds bk1 sensor 1 was now ok do these sensors blip from working to not working when failing or do they just fail20210405_115410.thumb.jpg.13a9cba4181c1564a439015d2e19afe1.jpg

If you don't drive it, it takes a lot longer to fully warm up, in ambient temperatures like we have today, so either drive it, or hold the revs up at 2000+ for a few minutes until the temperature stops rising.

Not sure about the lambda sensor, looks like it isn't dead then.

Did you find anything  leak-like?

Hi wino no leaks and no other faults reported by vcds only the p0172 will take it for a drive after lunch hook vcds back up and see what i find. Being bank holiday monday might take it a run up the motorway a few junctions and back again😁

• Like 1

Ok ..so took the car for a drive up the motorway for italian tune up and then connected vcds when back at home and the p0172 has not returned yet but ect on vcds was up to temp as you can see from the pics so still a bit puzzled as to cause of the fault code

20210406_112812.jpg

20210406_112556.jpg

1 hour ago, pebo48 said:

Also bk1 s1 is ok and bk1 s2 was ok i also looked at IM readiness and all had passed except evap sensor 

It doesn't mean anything, they're analogue sensors which only flag an error if they stop working or go outside a wide range if values.

• Like 1

I think that puts your coolant temperature sensor in the clear, although the thermostat might be causing it to take longer than it should to warm up. How many miles did you drive before the gauge needle hit vertical?

I suggest you leave it, drive it normally and scan the engine ECU every couple of weeks to see if anything returns. If there is a real fault, rather than e.g. a sooty lambda sensor, it'll make itself known in time with a warning light.

Thanks guys for all your help and advice i will check with vcds every week or so and see. Wino i had only done a few miles before the temp needle was vertical and at correct temp. As i have only had the car a few months and not sure when o2 sensor was last changed or ect sensor i wonder would it be worth just changing them anyway, the car itself drives great except for a slight judder  when pulling away but i put that down to me not giving it enough gas at times as its not every time i pull away that i get the judder. Other than that its a great little car for nipping around town😁

20 minutes ago, Wino said:

Bear in mind that changing sensors that aren't faulty could make things worse if you buy cheapo stuff from the likes of ECP.

I know what you mean wino seen this on a local selling group for £15 think is the right one for my car so was going to take a punt at it

Screenshot_20210406-141851_Gallery.jpg

Dunno, sorry. Could be a different plug on the end, different cable length, different technology, anything.  Research via google images or photos in ebay listings of genuine parts for each number.

• Like 1

Hi wino had a good look on google and ebay the difference seems to be just the plug found it on ebay says its for awy/bmd 1.2 engines but plug might need adjustment.

I have seen them on other sites too with no plug just bullet connectors , also on the autodoc web site it says its a universal sensor  and is compatible with 1.2 awy and bmd engines

so might just grab it anyway at that price  

• Like 1

Fair play. I'm pretty sure that both AWY and BMD engine use simple binary sensors (rather than wideband) for both pre- and post-cat so as long as you can get the wiring right it should work.

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1