Fabia vRS fitting replacement aftermarket head unit

They don't look like te ones Sound Gallery used to extract mine originally. They looked longer and had little hooky things on the ends. Hooks made little difference though as it was wedged in so tight that it took 2 of them 10 minutes to get it out with the help of some wedges to ease one side, then the other.

J.

The genuine keys have a little slot cut in them which is designed to grip the radio and pull it out - In practice Fabia radios are far too tightly wedged in for that.

It's simply a case of pushing in the retainers on the sides.

Would you want to push hacksaw blades into your nice 2006 radio?? The facia on them can be easily damaged.

Would you want to push hacksaw blades into your nice 2006 radio?? The facia on them can be easily damaged.

Lol i tried the hacksaw blade approach to save some cash when i did mine, lets say the slots of the skoda headunit has some interesting marks on it .....:rolleyes:

them audio keys look different to the ones i got from halfrauds ... but mine worked and ive used them a few times due to a few install problems.

seems skoda dealers are inconsistent with their approach to headunits tho, i phoned the dealer i got my car from for the fascia gave the part number over the phone the guy denied all knowledge that they exsisted phoned up my closer dealer that i now use and said oh yea we got loads of them always have them in stock, and then said if you want we will take the stereo out for you, already had done that bit :D

It makes me laugh people going on about sticking hacksaw blades in, I've seen the damage that the proper keys can do let alone using a serated blade.

The dealer supplied trim is used for a satnav install, saying they don't list it is just lazy.

I see this place sells the fabia fascia' date=' harness adapter and aerial booster all for £23.49. Apart from the keys should be everything you need for a fair price!?

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting_kits/skoda.htm

But you don't need the harness adaptor (ISO lead) :confused:

So seems expensive!!

You need to pay postage on that figure too which makes it over £26.

The www.AutoAudioAccessories.co.uk link sell the other two useful bits for £10.

Aren't some of the aftermarket facia adapters a different color to the actual color of the dash plastic?

Though on that link, for £2 who cares;)

Though it does seem many dealers wont supply the skoda version.

Who ever mentioned hacksaw blades as a solution !!!

Popped to the dealer today got it done by the mechanic instead.

The tool took the form of two fold out gadgets with the correct end as pictured by VRStu.

Just need to fit the new unit now:)

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I've read this thread soo many times now, its very useful.

My Fabias having the stereo replaced as the cd player never worked (had it 2 weeks - hows that for customer service!! not). They'll take it out for me.

Then I fit the "Fabia Dashboard Radio Surround 6Y0 857 231 B41 (Satin Black) ", then I fit the aerial booster and swap the red and yellow leads on Alpine ISO.

Can someone just confirm this for me?? I've also heard about cutting the blue blue ISO wire??

Cheers,

Matt

• 11 months later...

i am trying to do a similar thing, but my head unit doesnt "click" in to place.

I put the cage around the head unit, then the whole unit will not fit into the gap provided.

I was ripping my hair out for about 1 hour trying to figure out how to do it!

any ideas?!

It's probably just due to the lack of room and the large number of wires you've stuffed behind there.

A tip is to lower the glove box down which will then allow access to the side/rear of the HU and you can ease the wires into place.

It's probably just due to the lack of room and the large number of wires you've stuffed behind there.

A tip is to lower the glove box down which will then allow access to the side/rear of the HU and you can ease the wires into place.

i just pulled out the box under the sterio place sorted out the wiring placed the box back in and placed the new sterio in place olso found that my sterio worked better without a signal amp?