Airbag Warning Light on - can I reset with OBD2 device ?

2009 Fabia 2 1.2 petrol hatchback.

Hi all,

I let the battery run down due to lack of use. Then the airbag warning light started coming on every time I drove it. Eventually I changed the battery but the airbag warning light still comes on all the time I drive it. This is obviously a safety issue and I need to fix it. From what I've read the light just needs to be reset and that there isn't an actual problem with the airbags.

The local stealership want £138 to look at it !!!!

Can I reset this myself with an OBD device like Carista or OBDeleven ? Has anyone successfully done this.

The Carista web site is unclear whether this age of model can be reset.

All help appreciated.

Same thing happened to me when we bought our Fabia.

I know dealer had to jump start car b4 I collected it. Eventually when it failed on me he replaced  the battery but when it failed it brought the air bag light on. 

I checked connectors under seats , no luck, ended up at a back street garage who cleared fault.

Sorry I'm rambling and no real help to you, just curious why a duff battery can bring an air bag light on.

Do you not have an independent garage near you? My local one would use their snap on one to clear air bag code for a tenner.

Yes I've read somewhere that this fault light comes on when there's not enough charge.

But why doesn't it reset when there's a new, or charged battery ? This is just a scam. The dealers can charge drivers for a 5 minute job that doesn't need to be done.

Of course it's a safety issue so drivers are bound to deal with it or suffer the consequences.

I'm tempted to just buy a Carista on ebay and try it.

I'd sit tight for a bit if you can. Someone way more knowledge on here than me will tell you if the cheaper tools can reset air bag faults. I researched the cheaper ones a while back and not all do air bags.

Unless your MOT is looming, no tearing hurry.

I am curious why I've only had this with the Fabia, every other car we've owned with air bag faults have been seat connection or airbag ecu.

Having said all that , battery on our Fabia died over xmas, jumped it and put new battery on, no airbag light prob this time. 

I had the dash apart recently (fabia 2) and got an airbag light on, and I was able to reset it using an older and cheapo (£25'ish)  code reader i had lying around - a U281 which was for VW family vehicles. Worked first time, no problem.

IMG_1110(1).JPG

The OP will not be able to extinguish the light by erasing the fault code if the fault is still present but for £19 its worth a try, beyond that he will need VCDS or similar to see where the fault lies, usually a seat connector, door loop wire fractured or airbag control module gone t1ts up.

• Like 1

Yes, I must consider that there may actually be a problem with the Airbags. It might not just be a question of resetting a dash light :(

There could be a problem with the connector or wiring somewhere.

I looked at the Carista web site. They claim airbag warning light can't be reset on a 2009 Fabia even with the Pro version. This problem doesn't occur with newer cars.

I will post the result when I finally get there.

Thanks for your comments so far.

I'd start with connectors under seat. Do you have to move seat to get in or out?  This is where  poor connection occurs. 

I'm 6ft so leave seat pushed back so don't have that prob, the good wife however is considerably shorter so drivers seat on our Megane is constantly moving. Despite my preaching to her to be gentle moving seat it  goes straight over her blonde head, resulting in me on my knees pushing air bag block connector together again to clear fault. Currently got a cable tie wrapped around it to try to stop movement .

Yeah, I've found the yellow airbag plug under the front passenger's seat. The seat itself doesn't get moved backwards & forwards very much. So I'm assuming that wear & tear hasn't caused damage to wiring.

It's a squeeze to get my hand under the seat as the gap is very small. There's a big plastic flange at the front of the deat that drops down very close to the carpet, but I can just get my hand onto the plug. Not enough to unplug it but I've tried to push it together and basically wiggle it around. Does anyone know how I can access the plug a little more easily ?

This hasn't helped solve the problem as the airbag warning light didn't go out :(

It wont put the light out if that was the problem and you resolved it, only a fault code reader can do that as its a safety related issue.

I haven't come across a flat battery causing airbag faults before. Our 12 Fabia has gone flat several times during lockdown without throwing a code. That's not to say it can't happen, but it's unlikely. I think you need to find a VAG compatible diagnostic tool to read the code from the controller before going any further.

There's a thread in the diagnostics section here with a list of people with suitable scan tools willing to help out other members. You may find someone near you willing to scan your car. Otherwise there's probably an indy near you who will do it for a lot less than the dealer would charge.

• Like 1

Sure. The airbag light comes on when the battery voltage dropped.

This happen prior to the battery going flat. Then I changed the battery and the light stays off !

I don't know if this is a safety issue, but it cost me money to reset a light.

Skoda dealer would have charged £138 + VAT.