Delivery Delays

I just got the call to say that our Superb SE L iV is built and is currently sat waiting for a boat. The estimate is 3-4 weeks... Let's just hope it isn't due to sail in to Felixstowe.

It was build week 34 but has been sat "awaiting components" for a good couple of weeks. The guy at the dealership said that he doesn't have any facts but the rumour is that one of the main shortages they're seeing is with keys. Which ties up with something I read in another thread where they had only got the one key when they collected their car. The other keys were going to be backordered.

1 hour ago, ant177 said:

I just got the call to say that our Superb SE L iV is built and is currently sat waiting for a boat. The estimate is 3-4 weeks... Let's just hope it isn't due to sail in to Felixstowe.

It was build week 34 but has been sat "awaiting components" for a good couple of weeks. The guy at the dealership said that he doesn't have any facts but the rumour is that one of the main shortages they're seeing is with keys. Which ties up with something I read in another thread where they had only got the one key when they collected their car. The other keys were going to be backordered.

That was me I think. It referred to an Audi A6 Avant collected a short while ago by a neighbour. I got all 3 keys with the iV on Monday. 

Edited by Jerry57
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jerry57 said:

That was me I think. It referred to an Audi A6 Avant collected a short while ago by a neighbour. I got all 3 keys with the iV on Monday. 

Yep - that was the comment I was thinking of. I had remembered Audi but convinced myself that I was wrong since this was a Skoda forum 😉

I'm just hoping that the boat doesn't take too long to get over here, I'll drive over to the Czech Republic and get it myself!

• 2 weeks later...

As I’ve said previously, I ordered my car at the door of July , beginning of August , at the time to be fair the salesman said it would be about 20 weeks , although the order form says delivery mid November, I have heard nothing , I rang customer services, who were useless and they couldn’t answer the question about build week  or anything, the order number given by the dealer doesn’t correspond with anything Skoda have. Dealer doesn’t respond to emails , so what to do.  Keep the order , or go elsewhere.  

7 minutes ago, JamesETheFirst said:

As I’ve said previously, I ordered my car at the door of July , beginning of August , at the time to be fair the salesman said it would be about 20 weeks , although the order form says delivery mid November, I have heard nothing , I rang customer services, who were useless and they couldn’t answer the question about build week  or anything, the order number given by the dealer doesn’t correspond with anything Skoda have. Dealer doesn’t respond to emails , so what to do.  Keep the order , or go elsewhere.  

I was going to post on here this afternoon... I ordered mine (Superb L&K 190 petrol hatchback) in mid-July, probably a couple of weeks before you I think.  On Thursday, I was given an approximate build completion of 3rd January.  That may suggest you won't have to wait too much longer.  Mine's a lease rather than purchase, but can't imagine that makes a difference.  

I was on the verge of cancelling the order and going with something already in stock, but glad I didn't, now.

ps Neither I nor the lease agent got anything meaningful from the dealer until they suddenly gave a date out of the blue.

Edited by Mikeworcs
added info

45 minutes ago, JamesETheFirst said:

Thank you for that info , much appreciated.  Looking at the state of other manufacturers, the situation seems to be the same , plus I don’t really want any other car.   

I know what you mean - lease company stocks are low, so the only alternative car I'd have gone for would have been a Merc E-class estate, and I didn't really want it.  I've had 2 Superbs so far, loved them both, and having a third is a no-brainer 😃 

To be fair to skoda and skoda dealers, it's difficult to give delivery dates when your short of parts and dont know when the parts will arrive.

they must be getting a certain amount of microchips because production has continued, all be it on a reduced capacity.

there comes a time though when a lot of buyers will be thinking f00k it, i'm waiting no more, cancel my order, i want my deposit back  😂

The bosses at skoda know that most people will not wait forever, so maybe they are trying to   prioritise any one who has  waited 6 months or so, and at least give them some news that they want to hear, like your cars just about to be built, hang in there it will be with you soon  😃   even if it's false hope  :angry:

i believe the factories are closed for new builds at the moment, and giving that they normally  build 1000+ or so cars per day, i cant see anyway delivery dates will be accurate,

1000+ cars per day = 7000+ cars per week,  so around 30.000 would have been built cars lost every month, if factory closed till christmas, that's alot of backlog.

however things might change  with increased deliveries of chips  😎

24 minutes ago, JamesETheFirst said:

Your points are excellent thank you. Surely this situation must be costing a fortune for all concerned.  

yes it must be costing them a few quid,   i think it makes sense for them to finish the cars that are sitting waiting for parts first though [ if they can get the parts ] as it will bring in some £££ and the cars that are half finished will probably be for the buyers who have waited the longest.

5 hours ago, ND1 said:

Finally. I need to pick up my car on Wednesday. It should have arrived in July, but I think it's not the worst scenario to have only 3 months of delay...

great news, it seems like most superbs are taking 6/7 months from ordering to delivery [ at the moment   😂 ]

i've heard it said that skoda might be prioritising ev/iv over ice cars to meet emission targets, but i'm not sure if any truth in that.

i read recently that a petrol/ diesel ford focus uses 300 or so chips but an electric version has up to 3000 chips so if its true that they are prioritising ev's , no wonder there's a shortage of microchips  😂.    surely it's better to get up to 10  cars finished than just 1

Not if manufacturer face millions of euros in penalties in 2022 like VW Group for 2020 because the emission of cars First Registered was too high. 

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/vw-faces-eu-fine-missing-2020-emissions-targets

https://autovista24.autovistagroup.com/news/vw-group-and-jlr-face-fines-exceeding-2020-eu-emissions-targets

MG punting out lots of EV's helps VW Group get away with still producing higher polluting cars.   So much Kidology. 

Screenshot 2021-10-25 at 21.35.50.png

Edited by roottoot

Had a bit of an update today, with build date as 10th Jan and delivery to dealership on 18th February... obviously subject to slippage.  That would be pretty much 7 months from order to delivery.

I've just had notification that our car is now with the dealership having its PDI, I should be getting it some time next week (exact date to be agreed).

So ordered in the middle of July, delivery next week hopefully. 4 months isn't too bad considering everything else that is going on. I suspect the sales guy at the dealership will be glad to give me a car and see an end to me pestering for status updates.

5 hours ago, ant177 said:

I've just had notification that our car is now with the dealership having its PDI, I should be getting it some time next week (exact date to be agreed).

So ordered in the middle of July, delivery next week hopefully. 4 months isn't too bad considering everything else that is going on. I suspect the sales guy at the dealership will be glad to give me a car and see an end to me pestering for status updates.

They deserve to be pestered when you’re spending a lot of money.  
I looked at CarWow this afternoon I think I read it correctly, they are talking  June 2022 delivery.  

8 hours ago, ant177 said:

4 months  is quicker than most,   

petrol , diesel or iv ?    standard spec or loaded with options ? 

just wondering if you get your car  quicker if you dont spec any options 

around 7 months seems to be the norm, although  cars being delivered just now would obviously have been ordered 7 months or so ago .  

anyone ordering right now might have to wait a bit longer with the factory all but closed

3 minutes ago, 310golfr said:

4 months  is quicker than most,   

petrol , diesel or iv ?    standard spec or loaded with options ? 

just wondering if you get your car  quicker if you dont spec any options 

around 7 months seems to be the norm, although  cars being delivered just now would obviously have been ordered 7 months or so ago .  

anyone ordering right now might have to wait a bit longer with the factory all but closed

That has been a big factor I think, it is an SE L trim level iV (which anecdotally has been prioritised to reduce emissions figures for the VW group) and it was ordered as a car that had already been allocated a build slot without any options. It is 2 months behind schedule from when it should have been delivered according to its build slot.

Anyone ordering right now is going to be waiting a while. I no longer work in the automotive electronics industry but where I am at the moment I'm still seeing lead times for components in the 96 week region. Procurement issues for the manufacturers (and suppliers) aren't going to be going away any time soon unfortunately.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesETheFirst said:

They deserve to be pestered when you’re spending a lot of money.  
I looked at CarWow this afternoon I think I read it correctly, they are talking  June 2022 delivery.  

i ordered 12th october , was told 30 weeks, the factory was still open when i ordered,    so you would expect to have to wait longer now,

carwow now saying about 8 months, might be about right

but you never know, skoda might get a big delivery of chips and things will speed up  😎,  1st of march would do for me  😎

9 minutes ago, ant177 said:

That has been a big factor I think, it is an SE L trim level iV (which anecdotally has been prioritised to reduce emissions figures for the VW group) and it was ordered as a car that had already been allocated a build slot without any options. It is 2 months behind schedule from when it should have been delivered according to its build slot.

Anyone ordering right now is going to be waiting a while. I no longer work in the automotive electronics industry but where I am at the moment I'm still seeing lead times for components in the 96 week region. Procurement issues for the manufacturers (and suppliers) aren't going to be going away any time soon unfortunately.

with the worldwide shortages, i think skoda are being over optimistic with there delivery times, although i did hear that the factory has now re-opened again but i doubt they will be working at full capacity