Kodiaq buying advice please...

Afternoon all,

Just wondering if I can pick your collective brains on Kodiaq’s…

SWMBO and I went to look at Octavia Estates / Superb Estates / Karoq’s and Kodiaq’s earlier this week as a replacement for our Octavia 4x4 2.0 TDI Estate…

The ideal requirements being 4x4, equal or larger bootspace to accommodate a wheelchair and all my daughters medical stuff /food when we travel, similar level of equipment, rear A/C vents and plenty of space in the back for growing teenagers!   Niceties on the requirements list were heated seats as we currently have them and the option for a tow bar for a bike rack.  We’re fine with something used up to about 30k mileage but ideally no more than £20k to £25k ish so two or three years old.

The consensus (mostly from SWMBO) was:

• Octavia Mk4 - OK but no 4x4’s available yet and expensive for what they are
  • Octavia Mk 3 - OK and very similar but 4x4’s are as rare as Unicorns
  • Superb just that bit too big for daily use (it’s about 18” longer than our Octavia)
  • Karoq – boot too small, even with seats slid forward
  • Kodiaq – probably a good fit as very similar size to our Octavia just taller)

We’re therefore aiming to look at more Kodiaq’s…

However…   having now spent some time with her going through specs and the like we think an SE would just about do, but and SEL would probably be nicer long-term.  A 1.4 or 1,5 petrol would probably suit her shorter daily runs but we might have to ‘put up with it’ on longer runs fully loaded when the diesel would cope better.  5 seats will be fine but can see the benefits of 7 for ferrying teenagers and their grandparents about and the boot space with 7 would still be bigger than what we have now.  DSG is OK, as proved by a test drive but I’m still not convinced by auto’s and would probably prefer a manual.  SWMBO has never drive an auto and worries about switching between our cars (the others are all manual).

So in light of all the above I have some questions…

• How do the 1.4 / 1.5 petrols cope fully loaded (bearing in mind by this I’d mean 5 passengers, a very full boot and 4 bikes on a towbar / trailer heading over the Pennines – I’m aware of the tow bar issue with the 150 diesel 7 seaters)
  • What MPG are people getting out of the 1.4 / 1.5’s and how does this compare to the 2.0 diesels?
  • Does DSG get better with time as the one we tried in a 150 diesel was OK but tome felt ‘leisurely’ and slow to pick up speed?
  • Are the manuals OK and generally reliable?
  • Has anyone had a 1.4 / 1.5 petrol mapped and what was the outcome?
  • Are the ‘extras’ on the SEL such a LED headlights / electric boot worthwhile?
  • Does the SEL ‘suede and leather’ combo get hot in the sun (have experienced a normal leather interior previously and hated this aspect as well as the slidey-ness).
  •  

I’m sure I’ll think of more questions over time but any comments / advice would be welcomed!

Edited by skomaz

24 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@skomaz

Mk4 Octavia vRS Estate, 2.0 TDI 4x4 DSG. 

Not within the budget new though at present.

Screenshot 2021-04-23 at 19.24.48.png

Cheers George...   They must've been added very recently as they weren't there when I looked a while back.  Think SWMBO will baulk at the price though :D.  Especially as we paid less than half that for the last one with only a few thousand miles on it.

I might suggest it for a laugh though to see what the reaction is...

Edit:. Just noticed the SEL is also available with the 4x4 DSG so specced that to be equivalent to what we currently have and it's £34,326...

Edited by skomaz

I’ve just come out of a 2.0tdi SEL Yeti for a 1.4L 6sp 4x4 SEL 7st Kodiaq. Bags of room in it. Much quieter than the diesel, smoother ride too. Taken a few miles to adjust to the torque differences but done over 100 miles today, bringing it back from Skoda Mansfield, through Chesterfield and Sheffield to Wakefield and then a stop/start trip through Bradford traffic and back. 39.4 mpg average with 2 up and the dog. Long term mpg I noticed was 34mpg logged by the previous owner though. I’d expect with more load or a spirited right foot, it could drop the mpg to low 30s but I’m happy with my figures today. 
Corners nicely and it’s well behaved on the motorway. 
We think SEL spec is worth it, especially on a used car. Alcantara is easier to live with in the sun than full leather. Kodiaq heated seats are lush. 

C2201B20-8112-4E47-A7F7-06C74902A2F0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, skomaz said:
  • Are the ‘extras’ on the SEL such a LED headlights / electric boot worthwhile?
  • Does the SEL ‘suede and leather’ combo get hot in the sun (have experienced a normal leather interior previously and hated this aspect as well as the slidey-ness).
  •  

We thought the LED lights were worthwhile. They’re substantially brighter than non LED. Your mileage may vary though. Depends what value you place on it. 

The electric boot is not something I’d pay extra for, but it is something I miss when I use our car that doesn’t have the electric boot. 

The SEL suede seats do not get hot in the sun. We effectively paid extra to get an SEL over the Edition model because we preferred the suede seats to leather, and ding regret our choice of seats. If you’re doing decent miles/hours in the car then I would consider the upgrade to electric seats purely for the additional lumbar support options. 

We have the factory electric tow bar to use with our bike rack, and if you’re using the tow bar frequently then it’s fantastic. 

I wouldn’t buy another car that isn’t DSG/auto. It’s great. I never find myself thinking it’s in the wrong gear. 

Ours is the 190bhp diesel, so 4x4 and slightly worse economy than the 2wd 150bhp diesel. We get 40-45mpg. 50mpg on certain runs if you’re exceptionally careful. 35-40mpg in the winter or on short runs. If I were buying again I’d get the petrol version as you have to do stupid numbers of miles (30k pa) to offset the higher purchase cost of the diesel, which we’re no longer doing in this weird Covid world of ours. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks both that's useful info.  We've had tdi's since 2000 in daily cars and really like them but I did switch to petrol a couple of years ago with the swift and its been a revelation...   Nicely torquey and quiet, almost like a diesel, so I'd hope the 1.4 tsi would be similar?

35 to 40mpg for the petrol is liveable with given the low mileage it'll probably do and possibly not far off what we get on the current Octavia given most journeys are short and it takes time to get warm.  Clearly the diesel will be much better on a run though (eg to see family in Belfast)

Sounds like the seats will be fine in the SEL and a towbar easy to use which is great.  Also interesting re the headlights...   We have HID on the Octavia and LED on the swift so it sounds like another reason to go SEL if they are significantly better.

I guess I need to get a drive in a petrol and try a DSG again...

@1963Malc...   How were Rainworth Mansfield to deal with?  We used to use Bickertons Sheffield, their sister dealership for servicing but the sales people there were dire and not at all competitive on price with the dealers in Chestefield and Liverpool we eventually used.

It’s easy to do the sums on petrol vs. diesel for your estimated annual mileage.

I reckon total overall cost must always be annualised to give a true comparison.

I have a 190 4x4 diesel, but would seriously question the need for 4x4 in future.

I have enjoyed the grunt of 190/170 diesels for 10 years, but have also enjoyed the impressive performance of a 1.4 petrol Octavia my wife had for 3 years. All DSG. I love it.  Though I cannot speak for how a petrol Kodiaq feels.

I’m biased towards SEL trim as it delivers a very good package before extras.

• Thanks 1

skomaz - I got my YETI from Rainworth Mansfield and they gave me a much better trade in for the Kodiaq than my local, DM Keith Wakefield. 

Mansfield is a bit of a trek but it’s great for my choice of vehicles. Rainworth Sheffield is where my sister has her Skoda serviced and they seem fine. That said, she’s just bought a new one from DM Keith Bradford, who I’ve bought from before.

It all depends where stock is. 4/6 of my Skodas have been used cars so your options are a bit limited. Covid has altered the customer experience this time though. Go with the flow. There will always be times when sales people don’t do brilliantly. Be kind and see how they react. That can make all the difference. 

I have found an absolutely sterling Bosch Independent Service centre in Rotherham though. They did my front brakes and also the timing belt and water pump on the YETI, using Skoda parts and recorded it on the Skoda system. I’ll use them again for the Kodiaq. 😎

• Thanks 1

My two penneth:

Avoid diesel if you only do low miles.

If you even think you may want a tow-bar, search out a factory-fitted one.

Don’t fuss over heated seats (both my Superb and Kodiaq have had working - and tested - heated seats that are nowhere near as quick and effective as those I’ve had in Ford, Saab, Volvo and Mercedes-Benz (I expect to feel the heat in the first 200 m, not five minutes later!)

Go with DSG - so easy.

Yes the 2.0 diesel will have more “oomph” than the 1.4/1.5 petrol.  The real question, though, is how much oomph is enough, for you. I have been surprised (no, amazed) at how well my 1.4 handles five adults and a bootfull of eight cases.  The only way you’ll know if it’s enough for you is to get a decent test drive.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again all.  I've managed to bag a test drive of a 1.4 petrol SE manual next week but the dealer also has SEL's in and DSG's so should be able to compare.

4x4 is essential given where we live, and my daughter's medical conditions (basically we need to be able to get in and out at short notice regardless of weather) so do need that.

It's encouraging to hear how well the 1.4 copes and thinking about it a towbar could end up being essential for special needs bikes on trailers etc so will look for a factory fit.

Thanks again for all the info

I’ve got a 2l diesel DSG kodiaq SE spec.

so far (5500 miles) it’s returned 42mpg overall but I can get over 50 with more reasonable driving. But to be fair I do drive it hard. I pay for mileage at work not fuel.

The DSG is very good in comparison to many autos I’ve driven (over 35 years) , will change down when needed and is usually in the right gear. I often leave it in sport mode though so it changes up a bit later. I’d certainly recommend it over a manual.

The boot in the 7 seat loses a fair bit depth over the 5 seat but only you can make that decision.

I would say though that the extra seats are really only suitable for children or small , flexible adults!

Regarding luxuries. The se is perfectly serviceable. AC , climate control, good media system. What more do you need?

• Thanks 1

I will chip in as well.

The latest generation petrols are a league apart from few years ago, would definitely go petrol now unless you do something like 25k+ miles per year

The DSG is so much nicer to drive, it keeps the engine in the sweet spot, no worrying about is it in best gear for speed and gradient.  It works brilliantly with the petrol engine.

Regarding 4x4 it depends where you live, the factory summer tyres won’t get you very far in snow.  I tried winter tyres this year (with 2wd) and was passing 4x4s that were stuck when it snowed.   Seriously consider seasonal tyres as alternative to 4x4

• Thanks 1

Thanks again for the info - I'll take another look at the DSG and SWMBO is going to try one as well and no doubt she'll be the decider given she's likely to use it most and is the one most concerned over switching between cars...

Re spec's we did originally think SE would probably do us nicely but will hopefully have a closer look tomorrow when we should be able to compare SE and SEL next to each other, as well as looking at the third row of seats (no use having them if they are too small).

As for 4x4 and tyres, I'm always careful about choice and our existing Octy 4x4 has always had decent tyres on it and, having used Cross Climate all seasons for years now, I'll not be going back to summer tyres any time soon - they have been worth their weight in gold!

Couple of small points.. the Superb is the same length as the Kodiaq give or take a few mm.. I wouldn't go back to a manual after driving an auto.  with the Adaptive cruise you literally push start and put into D and just steer.. takes nearly all the effort out of driving.. Me and my wife happily jump between each others cars and have no issue adjusting between manual and auto.  I've had a sportline superb for 3 years and have a kodiaq on order (1.5 DSG SE L).. I wouldn't thank you for full leather and much prefer the 1/2 alcantara.. not as cold in winter or as hot in summer.. Electric boot is also great, I have it at the minute and would miss it if not there.. I didn't spec it though.. 

Edited by technics100
  • Thanks 1

Cheers for the info...   I am erring towards a DSG SEL but do need to drive one back to back with a manual.

As for length the kodiaq is apparently 4697mm and the superb estate 4862 so not much in it but our current on is 4572 so the SWMBO reckons the Superb is too big...

1 minute ago, skomaz said:

Cheers for the info...   I am erring towards a DSG SEL but do need to drive one back to back with a manual.

As for length the kodiaq is apparently 4697mm and the superb estate 4862 so not much in it but our current on is 4572 so the SWMBO reckons the Superb is too big...

Happy days, I'll be better at parking the Kodiaq then!!! Good luck. I've ordered mine and actually still haven't driven one.. I only got to sit in one today for the first time as I was at the dealer getting the Superb serviced.. 

On 26/04/2021 at 10:42, olderman1 said:

A reversing camera ? ;)

Nope. I’ve managed to reverse vehicles from minis to rigid 3 axle , 26 tonners without a camera.

If anyone needs a camera to reverse...maybe they need to consider driving lessons? 

8 hours ago, Leither said:

Nope. I’ve managed to reverse vehicles from minis to rigid 3 axle , 26 tonners without a camera.

If anyone needs a camera to reverse...maybe they need to consider driving lessons? 

I used to think that ... till I tried one.  Wouldn’t now have a vehicle without!

No one said that it's needed, just that its nice to have. If everyone had a thought process like you, we'd be starting our cars with a crank handle still.

• Like 1

Unless I'm mistaken, it was you who asked about a retro fit reversing camera :wondering:

• Haha 2

we have the 1.5 DSG and have had it a few times with 7 seats full and we still got our pram in the boot space that was left. car performed fine. it wont break the land speed record but I don't think it struggled with the weight. 

town driving with 3 of us in the car we see around 30-32mpg. we drove a 250mile trip last year and the car showed 43mpg and the car had 2 adults, a baby and a full boot for a weeks self catering holiday. no complaints

Morning all...   well spent some time looking and test driving the last few days and have now driven diesel, petrol, DSG and manual...

SWMBO struggled with the DSG and really didn't get on with it at all.  She might get used to it but I could see she really wasn't keen.  Conversely she jumped in the manual and was off and away no problem - she reckoned it was just like the Octavia but higher.

She was also more than happy with the performance of the 1.4 petrol in a manual and, whilst I would prefer a bit more in reserve it seemed to cope fine with some of the steeper hills we negotiate and was very quiet cruising at 70+ and was still  able to pick up speed above that on some long uphill dual carraigeways.

So Petrol manual it is...

Spec-wise we were originally looking for SEL for obvious reasons but have seen an SE with a few factory fitted optional extras fitted that seems to tick the boxes and appears to have been well looked after (low mileage, good bodywork, no damage inside, 4 decent new tyres etc.).  It has the main features we were after but obviously not the electric boot (not really too fussed on that) or the LED lights (which is a shame).  Hence the decision is in the balance at the moment as it's low mileage, on at on a good price and substantially cheaper than most SEL's we've been looking at.  So the lower price would allow me to add some further goodies that we would probably add to an SEL anyway (eg reversing camera / towbar / mudflaps / better headight bulbs etc).  The only downside is a low-ish trade in value for the old one (can;t be faffed selling it provately like I have with previous cars).

Decisions decisions.

PS - any idea what can be 'added' or 'tweaked' by VCDS / OBD11 etc. on a 2018 SE? - I'm sure there will be stuff hidden away that just needs activating...

Edited by skomaz

I own a 1.5 petrol and frankly it has enough power for me.

I was a bit concerned that it wouldn't which was one factor in going for a manual over an automatic (the other was the fact that manual transmission will be a thing of the past in 5 years! :) ).  However, I needn't have worried, and sometimes think an auto would be a better option.   If I had an auto I am sure I would be having the same debate in my head.

I originally didn't want the SEL (the SE would have done me)  but for various reasons too complicated to go into, ended up with one.

In fairness I'm glad I did now.

The headlights are way better.

The seats are indeed nice

I am even getting along with the powered boot now (initially hated it)

Whichever one you go for the Kodiaq will be a good, solid car.