Later Mk4 builds.

Been watching this forum regarding the significant number of issues regarding the operation of the car.

It's been on sale for the best part of a year or so now, but have the later builds of the Mk4 improved in soft and firmware operation or are there still a significant number of issues regarding this?

Thought I'd ask as it won't be long now until a dealer starts pestering about replacing my existing car. Which I may keep if thing's haven't improved even though I don't like it much. 

• Like 1

I've got a thread about this already here, which didn't particularly receive any responses to say yes they are fine!

It doesn't mean they aren't I suppose, as forums are for complaining on mostly, so maybe there just aren't people coming on to praise them.

The trick possibly seems to be sourcing an MK4 of a particular build date onwards maybe. My dealer seemed to think he'd be replacing my rejected SE FE but said the problem would be sourcing a working replacement, by which he will mean an FE.

That in itself is a funny one, because the Skoda website when I last looked no longer has FE's as a build option, some dealers no longer have them, but others are still selling them. But also there are none FE's had the same issues too.

So, how do we determine which version is 'safe', from what date, what software version, what hardware version, which radio system? There are seemingly issues across all of these things.

And then good luck to any of us finding a 'safe' version that is actually in stock anywhere, given some are still selling FE's 

And then there is the apparent long wait times on production now, supposedly related to issues across the car industry, but it would be naive to think that the global Skoda issues is not impacting that as well.

I'd love an answer to this, but it seems down to pure pot luck from what I have read the past couple on months on here.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your input. Most appreciated, I will wait and see if anyone else wants to add anything more because if more owner's put their build dates in it should be able to determine where the bad builds end and the much improved one's begin.

My heart wants a new RS, whilst my head says "Don't touch one with the proverbial bargepole". 🤔

Edited by TheWanderer
  • Like 1

With no disrespect to the people on the forum saying their cars are fine, people seem to be saying that during the first week or two of ownership.

Mine was fine at first, then about two weeks later I had the first black screen and thought it was odd but just reset it. Then a coupe more weeks later another issue spotted, and so on. It got worse the longer time went on, until the point I could take no more of having at least one issue every day.

What I'd like is someone saying they have had their car for eight months and not had ONE solitary issue, and I mean NOT ONE.

I'd still love to keep a MK4 (if Skoda ever bother progressing my reject...) but nobody has persuaded me thus far to want another one of any build date etc.

• Like 1

I have a hybrid estate, which I have had for a month and 2.500 kilometres. It threw a wobbly last week, and the headlights were reporting faults, which sent it into what I can only describe as headlight safe mode. No big deal, but I have sat in the garage this morning for 2 and a half hours whilst it had a major software update.

Otherwise fine, but I have to say that I am not impressed with this, and hope that all will be well going forwards.

The car itself is a massive improvement on my previous car (Toyota Auris hybrid), and as long as there are no more techno goblins I am very happy with the car.

8 minutes ago, rmills said:

I have a hybrid estate, which I have had for a month and 2.500 kilometres. It threw a wobbly last week, and the headlights were reporting faults, which sent it into what I can only describe as headlight safe mode. No big deal, but I have sat in the garage this morning for 2 and a half hours whilst it had a major software update.

Otherwise fine, but I have to say that I am not impressed with this, and hope that all will be well going forwards.

The car itself is a massive improvement on my previous car (Toyota Auris hybrid), and as long as there are no more techno goblins I am very happy with the car.

Do you happen to know what the approximate build date is please. 

1 hour ago, Gax said:

With no disrespect to the people on the forum saying their cars are fine, people seem to be saying that during the first week or two of ownership.

I agree with this (as one that's mentioned my new car) in this thread). I assumed the faults were inherent and immediately visible (eg the problem with kph/mph is a software bug that they can't sort out, the inability for Android Auto to connect wirelessly is to do with a hardware version, the 1.5 engine either kangaroos or it doesn't). So when I picked my car up, I was immediately on the lookout for these known faults (I haven't looked at the kph issue as that will never affect me). I know that Android Auto just worked and this car doesn't kangaroo like my previous 1.5 did. The screen boots up when it should and, so far, has behaved.

For issues to rear themselves over time implies they are not inherent, but are indeed a fault condition occurring which the software cannot render. I simply have my fingers crossed (though not when driving ;) ) that this car continues to behave itself as I rather like it so far.

• Like 1

It's a toughie as I understand part of the reject process is involving being offered a discount on a new car.

If I am offered that and take it up, I'm not sure of the steps I'd be allowed to carry out myself to have confidence. I.E would I be able to sit in a car and go through all the menus and check they work, take it on a test drive far longer than the standard 4 or so miles around the block? I can't really see a new dealer allowing me to do that, when I haven't had a problem with them. My existing dealer however I don't particularly wish to remain with now, as they have ceased communicating with me since taking my car back. Why should I give my money to people who conduct their business so shoddily?

I really don't know if part of the issue in delaying my own reject from progressing is that nobody involved actually knows how to give any kind of assurance that a replacement vehicle would be okay. I am guessing they can't, otherwise I'd have one already!!

• Like 2

Mine is a 1.0 e-tec SE-Tec. Had it since January, I haven’t driven as much as usual but a lot of short journeys, and two longer drives. So far the head unit has rebooted a couple of times; once mid-journey and once as I was entering a location in the sat nav before a journey,  and that’s it. The parking sensors are a bit slow to activate but that’s not really a fault. 
My issues have been with missing parts, main one is that I ordered the winter pack and they didn’t fit the heated screen! 

Im also not sure of build date but can check if someone tells me how

The heated windscreen should be listed as part of the winter pack on your order and sales invoice, if it's on there and missing then take it up with the dealer and get them to install it FOC. Otherwise take legal advice...

Your build date should be available from your dealer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheWanderer said:

The heated windscreen should be listed as part of the winter pack on your order and sales invoice, if it's on there and missing then take it up with the dealer and get them to install it FOC. Otherwise take legal advice...

Your build date should be available from your dealer. 

Thanks Buddy, I’m awaiting the screen coming into the dealers to be fitted. They’re doing it FOC but pretty disappointing that it was missed at all..

• Like 2

I've come close to taking advice with my Mk3, but I have a lot of sympathy for all of you folk who've had to endure loads of faults that should never have occurred in the first place. 

I'm very much in two minds whether to go for a Mk4 later in the year with all of the troubles that have been dogging owners of a Mk4 of various derivatives of the Octavia. 

Honestly mate, if I (ever) get an update and suggested resolution from No Hope Skoda (TM) and that includes an offer of a replacement MK4 and it works and I take it I'll post an 'honest review' and let everyone know.

Customer service is surely as important as the car itself, when it isn't working, and I'm basically being treated like scum at the moment. I'm not a person with an issue they want to fix, I'm a problem they are trying to pretend doesn't exist.

That alone should put people off.

• Like 3

My car spent 2 and a half hours being updated yesterday, and is now back to normal. It was obviously a major update, as it took a long time to be completed.

IMG_20210430_162529.jpg

1 hour ago, rmills said:

My car spent 2 and a half hours being updated yesterday, and is now back to normal. It was obviously a major update, as it took a long time to be completed.

IMG_20210430_162529.jpg

Over the air update?

16 hours ago, Gax said:

Honestly mate, if I (ever) get an update and suggested resolution from No Hope Skoda (TM) and that includes an offer of a replacement MK4 and it works and I take it I'll post an 'honest review' and let everyone know.

Customer service is surely as important as the car itself, when it isn't working, and I'm basically being treated like scum at the moment. I'm not a person with an issue they want to fix, I'm a problem they are trying to pretend doesn't exist.

That alone should put people off.

"That alone should put people off" - Don't worry, it does. Mk 3 owner here, not  ready to change at cars for a while but wouldn't even consider a Mk4  at this point in time.

It will take a clear admission of the faults from Skoda, proven rectification of the faults, and a good run of cars without faults before my confidence is restored.

• Like 3

The problem with dealer updates is mine is a good half hour away and generally they don't book cars in for updates. They'll just do it when it goes for a service

On 30/04/2021 at 12:58, TheWanderer said:

Been watching this forum regarding the significant number of issues regarding the operation of the car.

It's been on sale for the best part of a year or so now, but have the later builds of the Mk4 improved in soft and firmware operation or are there still a significant number of issues regarding this?

Thought I'd ask as it won't be long now until a dealer starts pestering about replacing my existing car. Which I may keep if thing's haven't improved even though I don't like it much. 

To provide a glimmer of hope, the loan Octavia Mk4 (1.0 e-Tec SE FE DSG Estate) I've been driving for a couple of weeks (and knocking on 850 miles) has been fine. From what I've been able to find out the build date was August 2020

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

today there was some update . not significant, just minor fixes.. it seems infotainment working without faults, before that i have had a lots of trouble with profile, glitches etc.we s hall see tomorrow

image.png