SD card Music Issue

Do you think it would be worth my while emptying the SD card and reformatting to FAT32 using partition Master ?

In the properties view, it says it's already in FAT32 format

9 hours ago, Pol04 said:

Do you think it would be worth my while emptying the SD card and reformatting to FAT32 using partition Master ?

In the properties view, it says it's already in FAT32 format

This worked for me. I am able to store and access all music using this method.

• Like 1

On 05/05/2021 at 10:06, FrankNicklin said:

You can use Windows to format above 32GB but not with the format dialog box. Use either the Disk Management interface , or in a command prompt use FORMAT or DISKPART.

Open a Command Prompt.

Alternatively also in a command prompt type,

Type "diskpart" then press Enter

Type "list volume" then press Enter

Type "select volume x", where x is the drive letter of your SD card.

Type "format fs = fat32" and press Enter.

^^ this. But run Clean first.  https://www.buffalotech.com/knowledge-base/cleaning-a-disk-in-windows-7-using-diskpart

You don't need special software for this, but run the command prompt as an administrator.

Please also eject the card afterwards, it really does close out the filesystem access.

On 05/05/2021 at 09:57, PetrolDave said:

Note that if the SD card is larger than 32GB the Windows format program won't do it, you'll need to use another program - a silly limit placed by Microsoft!

this is not a microsoft limitation, it's the SD body. SD = up to 2GB, SDHC = up to 32GB, SDXC = more than that, I believe. 

all different addressing. Example: if I want my action cams to have files of over 4GB in size, I have to use SDXC cards of more than 64GB.

7 hours ago, brettikivi said:

this is not a microsoft limitation, it's the SD body. SD = up to 2GB, SDHC = up to 32GB, SDXC = more than that, I believe. 

all different addressing. Example: if I want my action cams to have files of over 4GB in size, I have to use SDXC cards of more than 64GB.

I was using the term "SD" in the generic sense to mean SD, SDHC or SDXC - none of those can be formatted to over 32GB using the GUI version  of the Microsoft format program - this IS a restriction placed by Microsoft in their 'infinite wisdom'! See the-thinking-behind-the-32gb-windows-format-limit-on-fat32

Ok i did everything above including reformatting the SD card to FAT32 using Partition Master. I then put all the music back on the card and went through each file and removed any potentially dodgy symbols like hyphens or brackets etc. I put the card back in the car and two of the missing files are now accessible but one or two of the existing files now either won't play or have the artwork missing. The first message i saw on the infotainment system when i put in the card was 'Unable to read SD card 1'.....then it started playing the first file on the list. At this point i think it's the Columbus system which is at fault because i shoved the card into my friend's system (VW Golf) and everything showed up fine. I give up, but thanks everyone for the suggestions i certainly appreciate it.

I think it would be useful to see what version of firmware you are on.  I am sure that version 1433 is the latest firmware for the Columbus system.  

To get us that information, (in the same vain as the Amunsden system), press and HOLD MENU, go to Software and Software Version.  Send us that info and we will do all we can to assist.

Ok thanks. Worth a try i suppose. I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for so here's everything

Installed SW train version            MH12_ER_SKG13_P4523_1

Installed SW MU version              1382

Software version                            H29.319.79_HIGH2GP.EU

I've just checked mine out of interest;

Installed SW train version            MH12_ER_SKG11_P2104_1

Installed SW MU version              0318

Software version                            H25.14.38_HIGH2.EU

by the looks of things, my columbus MIB2 has older software, but I don't have any issues with songs on either of my SD cards

15 hours ago, Pol04 said:

Ok thanks. Worth a try i suppose. I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for so here's everything

Assume you have looked on the https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/

to check out if there is a new firmware update for your unit??  You will also find updated maps in there too.

Edited by varaderoguy

Yes i checked and there's no update available for the Columbus system but there is an update for the sat nav which seems more trouble than it's worth. 26GB and takes up up 4 hours to update with engine running (i don't think so) :shake:

35 minutes ago, Pol04 said:

Yes i checked and there's no update available for the Columbus system but there is an update for the sat nav which seems more trouble than it's worth. 26GB and takes up up 4 hours to update with engine running (i don't think so) :shake:

4 hours for 26gb doesn’t sound right. I know updating the head unit firmware can be problematic which is why it is suggested using a battery charger to stop things shutting down mid update but can’t see that’s necessary for the maps update. Where have these figures come from.

2 hours ago, Pol04 said:

You don't need the engine on to do the update. Just turn the radio on with the button, get the update going and leave it. Just have to go back once (think about half hour after starting) as the auto turn off happens. It carries on from where ever it stopped.