Swing RCD310 to RCD330 | Android auto + Apple car play

Hi, 

Thought I'll write this thread (and ask some questions!) as I had to research a lot to gather information from multiple sources.

Some sources

1. Almost all of the briskoda threads which talk about this topic (most of them old, with expired links)

2. This youtube video 

3. Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/RCD_330/

My car has the Bluetooth module under the driver seat and with some coding, I enabled it (not sure why it was disabled!). I could connect my phone to the car, make and receive phone calls perfectly.

My phone (stock one plus 8T) assumed the car was a headset and wouldn't play music. Bummer!

I'm also not a fan of using Android auto when mounting my phone on the dash.

I want Android auto and MFSW to work and after some research, I settled on the RCD330.

Advantages

1. OEM look

2. No power drain problem with mk2

3. Plug and play

After shopping around, Aliexpress was the best place to buy it (free shipping to Ireland, 7 to 14 days).

There were a lot of RCD330 knockoffs (RCD 360 and RCD 360 Pro) and the genuine RCD330 was €270 (Plus up to 32% VAT!!) and also couldn't find one in Skoda Green so I settled for the RCD360 pro from leamon shark, for €204.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000632040965.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3a374c4dKRch51

Along with this install, I'm also going to be installing

1. Reverse parking camera (I have a tow hook and having a camera offers peace of mind :D)
2. Dash cam (front and rear) (Something similar to Vantrue N4). I'm including that here as I plan to hard-wire both the dash cam reverse camera at the same time.

The above two should arrive in a few days and the RCD330 in about a week or two.

I'm pretty sure I need a fascia but I'm not sure how to choose one! (I have auto air con).

Can someone help me with locating a fascia, please? I've attached a picture of my existing setup (minus the radio trim! I do have it though)

I'll keep this thread updated with my progress and finding.

RCD310.PNG

By the looks of it you need a Columbus/RNS510 radio trim/surround. It appears to the be the same shape to me.

I bought one from AliExpress (or Wish o can't remember) and the quality was very good I have to say.

You can buy genuine ones from Skoda and they're also not too expensive apparently (depending on the colour).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Phil-E said:

By the looks of it you need a Columbus/RNS510 radio trim/surround. It appears to the be the same shape to me.

I bought one from AliExpress (or Wish o can't remember) and the quality was very good I have to say.

You can buy genuine ones from Skoda and they're also not too expensive apparently (depending on the colour).

Cheers! I'll check these out.

12 hours ago, Boyoontherun said:

How is the fit coming along - looking to do the same with my Octavia Scout - do you have multi function steering wheel?

Hey, not bad actually and yes, I do have a multi function steering wheel (MFSW).

Since I'm also installing a rear dash cam and parking camera, I've been doing some preparation from yesterday.
I'm getting my unit delivered in 2 days!

The unit itself should be plug and play, although I've been slaking off ordering a fascia (I can live with a hole in my console for a few weeks:x).

I've attached a couple of pictures of the rear end taken apart for the wiring. Took me all afternoon to get the covers off!
I'm pretty sure I broke some clips but I'm not too worried.

The full interior kit from Amazon uk helped a treat.

image.png

RearEnd1.jpg

RearEnd2.jpg

Just for the sake of completeness, I'm adding what dashcam and reverse camera I'm installing.

Dashcam - Vantrue N4

RearCam - This one

image.png.18a429f414e3afafcfbafcc1526903c8.png

This one has an LED built in but we need to solder the old bulb in parallel with this LED, else it throws a CAN bus error for 'Number Plate Lighting'

And also, need to buy a white LED for the other side. Now I have one side throwing light in yellow and the other in white :nod:

Had a good message exchange with ATD today as well and I have the same trim tool kit. I’m currently looking to source these to get the carpet under the pedals plat and in place. I’ve got a few orders in for other trim clips and various generic spares from other projects. But these are hard to find. 

69D9AB62-11B7-409A-8021-1CF07366CF7F.jpeg

• Like 1

I went for the handle rear view camera since I already have LED number plate lights (that are fully E marked and TÜV friendly).

• Like 1

Update!!

So the RCD360 Pro arrived from China yesterday (Order to delivery time of 'only' 13 days! and no customs charge).

I paid €203 (for the one with green lights!) which is an absolute steal (even if it for a knock off RCD330).

Package.thumb.jpeg.eff1bc25c78e8866d8ae4474ae706c43.jpeg

It came with 2 required connectors.

After putting all the trim pieces I removed to wire the reverse camera and dashcam (It was a pain I don't want to go through again!), I got onto installing the radio.

ButtonedUp.thumb.jpeg.7f6ac82d30b0a0f7add6efa73221f82b.jpeg

The Radio was an easy install. Take off trim, take off old RCD310, Plug in supplied connectors, screw in the new unit, put back the fascia.

Connectors.thumb.jpeg.f2973679e8027c7fc49fa901ac402dda.jpeg

Install.thumb.jpeg.ce65c583a2a94b563a6cdb84fc297dce.jpeg

StockFascia.thumb.jpeg.92e945b577b167f8cb2b0790480501dd.jpeg

I failed to place an order for a new fascia as I'm trying to get one with the same quality wood finish.
The only one I can find now are this and this.

I'm skeptical about them. I'll give my dealer a call and see if they can help me with an OEM fascia that fits.

Finally, the information that the RCD360 pro presents

VersionInfo.thumb.jpeg.09e1cd08a5daf2c63a227f6d4b1a32b2.jpeg

The green lights are a tad dimmer than the other green lights in the car but I can barely notice it.

Bluetooth and Android auto works great. The sound quality was trash the first time I played some music and my heart sank.

I plugged in my OBD11 and scanned the radio (56)

1401693565_OBD11scan.thumb.jpeg.e11e49155ac5fa0a637399ec3e9bc81f.jpeg

It threw up several fault codes!

Most related to base

'front-right base open connection' (or similar)

I cleared all the codes, RESET the unit but holding both the knobs down for 15 seconds, played the same song again.

This time on, the sound quality is 90% the OEM RCD310!! Not the best but I'll take the trade off any day.

All said and done, I'll live with the hole for a month until I get the fascia sorted and I'm a happy camper.

• Love it! 1

What OBDii have you got?  - I’ve already got the traction control light and airbag lights on  during the stripping out of the rapid response radios. Waiting on the media unit to arrive from Oswestry seems to be taking as long as the parts from China. 

Personally, I tend to use VCDS. I've never used or owned OBDeleven :)

Plenty of other members do use OBDeleven for coding, retrofits and clearing error codes so I expect it'll be fine. I just don't have any first hand experience to confirm exactly how it works.

• Like 1

This is a great post, I'm currently looking to upgrade my stream head unit.

Still undecided between rns510 and the rcd330.

Have you had the front and rear cameras working yet? 

My car doesn't have parking sensors, so this could be the perfect option for me.

I had a rear camera working with a RCD330 without issue.

They don't support front cameras. You might be able to choose the video input with a separate switch but it'll only work in reverse...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, langers2k said:

I had a rear camera working with a RCD330 without issue.

They don't support front cameras. You might be able to choose the video input with a separate switch but it'll only work in reverse...

What would be needed for a front camera too?

I really don't like the ones that don't look oem.

On 15/05/2021 at 21:56, Boyoontherun said:
On 15/05/2021 at 09:32, langers2k said:

That looks like OBDeleven to me: https://obdeleven.com/en/ 

How have you used it on the retrofit? Would it clear my traction control and airbag warning lights? 

Yes, It is the OBDeleven.

I used it to long code and enable everything I wanted. 

It should be able to handle what you're asking as I see the Airbags module on the app.

On 15/05/2021 at 21:59, langers2k said:

Personally, I tend to use VCDS. I've never used or owned OBDeleven :)

Plenty of other members do use OBDeleven for coding, retrofits and clearing error codes so I expect it'll be fine. I just don't have any first hand experience to confirm exactly how it works.

I would prefer VCDS as well but It was a lot more expensive to buy so went with the OBDeleven. 
Might have to get hold of someone with VCDS when I hit a wall trying to diagnose with the OBDeleven!

On 16/05/2021 at 08:26, Patch27 said:

This is a great post, I'm currently looking to upgrade my stream head unit.

Still undecided between rns510 and the rcd330.

Have you had the front and rear cameras working yet? 

My car doesn't have parking sensors, so this could be the perfect option for me.

Thanks!

Well I'm not planning on a front camera as I have no use for it.

The rear camera will work, no problem.

The rear camera sends a RCA cable along with a single 'reverse engaged' wire to the head unit.

There is no need to wire the reverse engaged wire (No need to splice into the reverse light harness)! We just need the RCA cable. The CAN bus signal automatically trigger the RCD330 to go into reversing mode.

I have parking sensors so I can see the park pilot screen when I don't enable the reverse camera.
image.png.ce70744ead66c3ff28b92f84e5b1c67c.png

On 16/05/2021 at 09:34, Patch27 said:

I could probably get a beeping kit for the front, just so I can avoid high curbs with a splitter fitted.

There are several threads on here which talk about such a mod. Maybe you'll find something there!
Since you're also planning on a Head unit upgrade, it's worth considering adding ParkPilot (Not sure if you mean you don't like park pilot?!)

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd add my bit here as well for everyone's info...

I fitted an RCD330 to replace the Bolero in my other half's Octavia, mainly for Android Auto as she was fighting with Google Maps in a phone holder.  I didn't want the 'fake' RCD360 so went all out and got a legit RCD330 with the green LED conversion and Skoda themed menus etc.  Also got a faceplate adapter too.  All arrived quickly, no customs issues into the UK, and all parts there, just plug and play.

Faceplate link - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000366160653.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6f574c4dXzFjTX

RCD330 link - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32957284492.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6f574c4dXzFjTX

Fitting straight forward, old fascia pulls off, faceplate from Bolero pulls off to reveal 4x torx screws, remove screws, pull old unit out and unplug, plug new one in and slot in, 4x screws back in, new fascia on. All worked straight out the box, I tweaked the coding a little bit with VCDS as it was complaining about there being no reversing camera so I disabled it to stop it happening, I'll maybe fit one at some point.

Only issues experienced by me is that the bluetooth in the MFD (via the separate bluetooth module) was fighting against the bluetooth in the RCD330 to connect to the phone and causing confusion. I've tried my best to code out the bluetooth module but it's not having it, so I've just removed all the paired devices for now and things seem to be OK.

There are a couple of spurious errors in VCDS but all works fine. The coding can be changed to adjust the vehicle type displayed in ParkPilot, I'll have a play around at some point to see which one fits in best for an Octavia Estate. I also plan on fitting a USB port to the 'top box' above the radio area so there aren't trailing cables hanging out the front of the unit, this isn't plug and play though and requires soldering inside. No problem for an electrical engineer like me though :biggrin:

I've gone one further in my own vehicle (2012 VW Transporter) and bought a Discover Media with the component protection removed, cost more than twice as much as an RCD330 but it does a lot more and fits in with some of the retrofits I'm doing on that vehicle.  It's basically the modern equivalent of the RNS510 with CarPlay/Android Auto and some other stuff. I would imagine it would fit the Octavia etc as well though if you felt so inclined, if anyone is interested I'll plug it in and have a go.

IMG_20210520_122528.thumb.jpg.d0d89ac114a775bbd5dd8eaab78089c7.jpg

IMG_20210520_122029.thumb.jpg.22a58ed3e0800d8f81e934847af86e21.jpgIMG_20210520_121955.thumb.jpg.a438e48e7f0ebf5ad09b8cdbae3d0358.jpgIMG_20210520_121931.thumb.jpg.c21f31ad5a5e6756e6055383ef375230.jpgIMG_20210520_121922.thumb.jpg.1edfdb56262f3bb6abcb6996103fd40d.jpgIMG_20210520_121917.thumb.jpg.c597990cdfbd6d21de4353d0c82d2495.jpg

23 minutes ago, TheKeymeister said:

Only issues experienced by me is that the bluetooth in the MFD (via the separate bluetooth module) was fighting against the bluetooth in the RCD330 to connect to the phone and causing confusion. I've tried my best to code out the bluetooth module but it's not having it, so I've just removed all the paired devices for now and things seem to be OK.

I'd suggest unplugging the original BT module....

Best way to save any conflicts as it's not doing anything anymore.

6 hours ago, TheKeymeister said:

Thought I'd add my bit here as well for everyone's info...

I fitted an RCD330 to replace the Bolero in my other half's Octavia, mainly for Android Auto as she was fighting with Google Maps in a phone holder.  I didn't want the 'fake' RCD360 so went all out and got a legit RCD330 with the green LED conversion and Skoda themed menus etc.  Also got a faceplate adapter too.  All arrived quickly, no customs issues into the UK, and all parts there, just plug and play.

Faceplate link - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000366160653.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6f574c4dXzFjTX

RCD330 link - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32957284492.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6f574c4dXzFjTX

Fitting straight forward, old fascia pulls off, faceplate from Bolero pulls off to reveal 4x torx screws, remove screws, pull old unit out and unplug, plug new one in and slot in, 4x screws back in, new fascia on. All worked straight out the box, I tweaked the coding a little bit with VCDS as it was complaining about there being no reversing camera so I disabled it to stop it happening, I'll maybe fit one at some point.

There are a couple of spurious errors in VCDS but all works fine. The coding can be changed to adjust the vehicle type displayed in ParkPilot, I'll have a play around at some point to see which one fits in best for an Octavia Estate. I also plan on fitting a USB port to the 'top box' above the radio area so there aren't trailing cables hanging out the front of the unit, this isn't plug and play though and requires soldering inside. No problem for an electrical engineer like me though :biggrin:

I've gone one further in my own vehicle (2012 VW Transporter) and bought a Discover Media with the component protection removed, cost more than twice as much as an RCD330 but it does a lot more and fits in with some of the retrofits I'm doing on that vehicle.  It's basically the modern equivalent of the RNS510 with CarPlay/Android Auto and some other stuff. I would imagine it would fit the Octavia etc as well though if you felt so inclined, if anyone is interested I'll plug it in and have a go.

IMG_20210520_122528.thumb.jpg.d0d89ac114a775bbd5dd8eaab78089c7.jpg

IMG_20210520_122029.thumb.jpg.22a58ed3e0800d8f81e934847af86e21.jpgIMG_20210520_121955.thumb.jpg.a438e48e7f0ebf5ad09b8cdbae3d0358.jpgIMG_20210520_121931.thumb.jpg.c21f31ad5a5e6756e6055383ef375230.jpgIMG_20210520_121922.thumb.jpg.1edfdb56262f3bb6abcb6996103fd40d.jpgIMG_20210520_121917.thumb.jpg.c597990cdfbd6d21de4353d0c82d2495.jpg

Awesome!

What are you going to do with the old Radio + fascia and the Bluetooth (if you unplug it)?

I have no idea what to do with mine or even if anyone wants it anymore.

19 hours ago, AnirudhAppala said:

Awesome!

What are you going to do with the old Radio + fascia and the Bluetooth (if you unplug it)?

I have no idea what to do with mine or even if anyone wants it anymore.

Probably just put it in the loft with all the other absolutely useless crap I've got in there to be honest!