Superb MkII doors do not lock or unlock, windows do not operate, no mirror controls.

1 minute ago, Wino said:

Maybe, or you could just get a magnifying glass and a fine pointy thing and lever the loose contacts carefully inwards towards each other.

Got it....this will have to wait til tomorrow evening as my abled body helper is not available til then! (I am recovering from rotator cuff  & bicep tendon repair) 

14 minutes ago, crankoz said:

(I am recovering from rotator cuff  & bicep tendon repair)

Well there's a coincidence. Long head tendon?

Busted mine back in November. No repair though, too old to bother and it seems to have reattached itself somewhere/somehow.

5 minutes ago, Wino said:

Well there's a coincidence. Long head tendon?

Busted mine back in November. No repair though, too old to bother and it seems to have reattached itself somewhere/somehow.

Quite the coincidence indeed!.. Subscap and long head!

And I did it in November too....needed surgery but had to wait til mid May.  Only 4 more weeks in the sling!

Edited by crankoz

Sensational news folks!

Problem fixed! :party:

The culprit was fuse No.23 30A.  It was a loose terminal connection where the blade plugged in.  One connection was solid while the other was loose and it was corrected by slightly bending one leg on the fuse so it make a solid connection.

Car has been road tested and is as good as new!!  

Many thanks to langers2k for his patience and guidance: wino for more recent help and to all others who chimed in!

• Like 2

Huh...did the happy dance too soon!

We now have a left headlight range fault...

Address 55: Headlight Range (J745)       Labels:. 5M0-907-357-V3.clb
   Part No SW: 5M0 907 357 F    HW: 7L6 907 357 C
   Component: AFS-ECU       H04 0111  
   Revision: --------    Serial number: --------------
   Coding: 01CE00003F000000
   Shop #: WSC 33361 790 00078
   ASAM Dataset: EV_HeadlRegulVWAFSPt 002016
   ROD: EV_HeadlRegulVWAFSPt_VW46.rod
   VCID: 377D7D268E294B3332-8062

Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 8U0 941 329     HW: 8U0 941 329   Labels: 3D0-941-329.CLB
   Component: LeiMo rechts  H01 0005 
   Coding: 8E0000

1 Fault Found:
5275953 - Power Output Module for Left Headlamp 
          C1081 31 [137] - No Signal
          MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 6
                    Fault Frequency: 3
                    Reset counter: 96
                    Mileage: 95963 km
                    Date: 2021.06.22
                    Time: 20:01:22

What could the cause of it be??  It wasn't an issue until now! 

Low and High headlights work but the Auto adjust doesn't..

Edited by crankoz

I think (not 100%) that the two AFS slaves share a fuse so given one is communicating, it's probably nothing to do with the work you've been doing in the fuse box. Worth checking the WD if you have it.

Typically with this kind of issue, step one is to check for signs of water ingress between the AFS slave and the headlight. You might be able to access it if you remove the wheel arch liner as they live on the underside of the headlights.

55 minutes ago, langers2k said:

I think (not 100%) that the two AFS slaves share a fuse so given one is communicating, it's probably nothing to do with the work you've been doing in the fuse box. Worth checking the WD if you have it.

Typically with this kind of issue, step one is to check for signs of water ingress between the AFS slave and the headlight. You might be able to access it if you remove the wheel arch liner as they live on the underside of the headlights.

Thanks again mate!

I'll do as you suggest.  Strange it should happen now as the car had been the in garage without moving for a good three weeks!

Another minor issue has come to light....

Central locking works - all doors physically lock when using remote, kessy, or the lock/unlock button on driver's door....BUT the rear doors cannot be opened from the outside.  The only way, is to use the unlock button on driver's door then they can be opened from the outside.

No errors reported in scan.

Strange ....right??

2 hours ago, crankoz said:

Another minor issue has come to light....

Central locking works - all doors physically lock when using remote, kessy, or the lock/unlock button on driver's door....BUT the rear doors cannot be opened from the outside.  The only way, is to use the unlock button on driver's door then they can be opened from the outside.

No errors reported in scan.

Strange ....right??

Sorted.....it was an option in the MaxiDot.  It was set to driver's door and now I have it set to all doors!

On 22/06/2021 at 20:53, langers2k said:

Hey langers2k,

If it happens to be the module under the left headlight, is the part interchangeable between Passat and Superb?  Reason I ask is I have found a used one in Melbourne, Australia and the seller says 'Will only work on a Passat unless you re-parameter it" - is this correct?

I'm not sure, I've not had to deal with that age of AFS slave yet. A quick google is pretty inconclusive :sadsmile:

About the only mention is here https://www.drive2.ru/b/475582485674066151/

The 'fifth story' suggests there is some kind of parameterision but I've no idea if it's for the AFS master, AFS slave or both...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

I'm not sure, I've not had to deal with that age of AFS slave yet. A quick google is pretty inconclusive :sadsmile:

About the only mention is here https://www.drive2.ru/b/475582485674066151/

The 'fifth story' suggests there is some kind of parameterision but I've no idea if it's for the AFS master, AFS slave or both...

I'll check it out....Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

Sourced a AFS control module from Oz.  Donor car was a Tigwan. I installed it tonight....no dash errors and no 'dancing headlights'either.

VCDS scan showed error...see below.

Address 55: Headlight Range (J745)       Labels:. 5M0-907-357-V3.clb
   Part No SW: 5M0 907 357 F    HW: 7L6 907 357 C
   Component: AFS-ECU       H04 0111  
   Revision: --------    Serial number: --------------
   Coding: 01CE00003F000000
   Shop #: WSC 33361 790 00078
   ASAM Dataset: EV_HeadlRegulVWAFSPt 002016
   ROD: EV_HeadlRegulVWAFSPt_VW46.rod
   VCID: 377D7D268E294B3332-8062

Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 8U0 941 329     HW: 8U0 941 329   Labels: 3D0-941-329.CLB
   Component: LeiMo rechts  H01 0005 

1 Fault Found:
5275953 - Power Output Module for Left Headlamp 
          C1081 31 [137] - No Signal
          MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 6
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 110
                    Mileage: 97857 km
                    Date: 2021.07.16
                    Time: 18:03:48

This came up in a scan...I cleared errors and when it refreshed the error remains.

Does anyone know if it has to be adapted to my car? 

And if so how?

I checked the link above but it does cover my issue.

That's nothing to do with adapting or coding...

On a working car, it should look similar to this:

Address 55: Headlight Range (J745)       Labels:. 5M0-907-357-V3.clb
   Part No SW: 5M0 907 357 F    HW: 7L6 907 357 C
   Component: AFS-ECU       H04 0111  
   Revision: --------    Serial number: --------------

Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 8U0 941 329     HW: 8U0 941 329   Labels: 3D0-941-329.CLB
   Component: LeiMo links  H01 0005

Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 8U0 941 329     HW: 8U0 941 329   Labels: 3D0-941-329.CLB
   Component: LeiMo rechts  H01 0005

Notice there are two subsystems, one for each headlight. On your scan, you only have one subsystem so for some reason, the AFS master can't communicate with one of the headlights.

Given both the old and new module show the same error message, it's likely to be a wiring issue somewhere. You need to check the power, ground and CAN-bus connections...

Based on the Octavia and MK6 Golf, the headlight pinout is:

- pin 1 is AFS CAN high

- pin 2 is AFS CAN low

- pin 4 is AFS slave power

- pin 5 and 7 are ground

As I mentioned previously, on my Octavia both AFS slaves are powered by a single fuse (SC21) but given the replacement modules isn't talking, I just checked the Superb manual and that suggests:

- fuse 10 Adaptive left main headlight
- fuse 11 Adaptive right main headlight

I'd check for power on pin 4 of the headlight and fuse 10/11 as a start.

If you've got power, disconnect the car battery and check continuity for the AFS CAN-bus between the headlights and the grounds are good.

• Like 1

Well....well...well.

I did a scan with the replacement module and the headlights did their 'dance'.

So...I thought why not put the original one back in and run another scan....VCDS did not pick up any errors in the initial scan where it finds all modules.  Let it run and to my joy NO ERRORS detected!! 

Started in the car in the garage just now (evening in Oz) and the headlights danced!

I am one happy little vegemite! :ninja::ninja:

Thanks to langers2k and all others for their input!