Fabia mk4 launch 6pm today (4th May) with launch details

Below is a copy of the configuration I made up of a Fabia Style. If you work out the cost (29.55 Czech Crowns to the pound sterling) it seems quite low compared to UK prices. Note it gives the standard spec as well. 

6835D790-7877-47EA-821F-1F990722B7E6.png

7C2F358D-AF99-452F-9977-D734D57B61BD.png

A1B238DE-8EDA-4524-823A-236502D35416.png

E36F17D9-029D-4699-81E4-F247844D1547.png

3567A900-214F-4DB6-8B81-DDA15DCC4821.png

• 3 weeks later...

Why do Skoda persist with the lower powered MPI engine for the new model? It was dropped from the latest Polo less than a year from launch and has never been an option on the latest Ibiza either. 60/65 hp is just not enough nowadays and must be the lowest power engine available in any new car on sale today.....

People will actually buy or lease them and if not enough do then Skoda / VW Group will be Registering them and getting them out there.

They will do deals with Utility Companies, Fleets, NHS etc. They will be owned by VW Group and then sold as Used / Ex Management.

Skoda need low Average C02 g/km figures and also there are people that like the KISS. 

There is no Citigo anymore and the Citigo iV was more about spin than actually getting sales.

They got a couple of quarters with the 400 Zero Emissions Citigo iV's registered in the UK and then that was that.

15 hours ago, KenONeill said:

UK armed forces are obsessed with headline mpg figures, rather than what cars actually give driven flat out everywhere,

Armed forces? 

On 06/06/2021 at 13:30, Miller73 said:

Why do Skoda persist with the lower powered MPI engine for the new model? It was dropped from the latest Polo less than a year from launch and has never been an option on the latest Ibiza either. 60/65 hp is just not enough nowadays and must be the lowest power engine available in any new car on sale today.....

Not sure where you are getting this from

The Czech configurator and brochure only shows one MPI version in new Fabia, the 59kW with 5speed manual (which is 79hp)

There is also a 70kW tsi 5speed (94 HP)

and 81kW tsi 6gear manual or 7 gear DSG (109HP)

I understand a 1.5tsi DSG (150HP) is also due

I think it looks stunning in the darkish orange metallic, I can see why they have used this for the brochure 

https://www.skoda-auto.cz/modely/nova-fabia/nova-fabia

17 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Not sure where you are getting this from

The Czech configurator and brochure only shows one MPI version in new Fabia, the 59kW with 5speed manual (which is 79hp)

There is also a 70kW tsi 5speed (94 HP)

and 81kW tsi 6gear manual or 7 gear DSG (109HP)

I understand a 1.5tsi DSG (150HP) is also due

I think it looks stunning in the darkish orange metallic, I can see why they have used this for the brochure 

https://www.skoda-auto.cz/modely/nova-fabia/nova-fabia

See page one of this post. 48KW/65HP engine for base model. 0-60 in about 17 secs and still worse economy than the turbo model no doubt.

Plenty low powered older cars are still around decades on since they were built, and when out and about on road trips there are plenty older or even newer low powered cars about.

The 0-60's are never as poor as official figures appear and getting about in towns and cities they can keep up just as well as something with 150 ps or even 300 ps and no tyre chirp at junctions as you might hear from a 1.5 TSI / 150 ps.

Even when in a sh!t colour they need not be sh!t just because of not much power.  If available for 'Much Cheapness' then they can be 'Simply Clever'.

Lots of people just drive around with nobody else in the car, so no additional 300kg carried.

Edited by e-Roottoot

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve been scanning some Czech websites for launch info and found a reference to an event in Poland next week when the press will be able to test drive the new Mk 4. Hopefully  this is right - the car was announced in early May and has now been in production for 4 weeks so it would be nice to finally learn more about it!

Like RickW, the look of the car is growing on me.

Edited by rkenny

There are a few reviews in after the launch event in Poland:

Auto Car:   https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/skoda/fabia/first-drives/skoda-fabia-2021-review

Auto Express: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/fabia/355793/new-skoda-fabia-2021-review

and What Car: https://www.whatcar.com/news/2022-skoda-fabia-review-prices-specs-and-release-date/n23391

It seems to have been well received. 

I found one video review in English that gives a full report on the car: 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rkenny said:

There are a few reviews in after the launch event in Poland:

Auto Car:   https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/skoda/fabia/first-drives/skoda-fabia-2021-review

Auto Express: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/fabia/355793/new-skoda-fabia-2021-review

and What Car: https://www.whatcar.com/news/2022-skoda-fabia-review-prices-specs-and-release-date/n23391

It seems to have been well received. 

I found one video review in English that gives a full report on the car: 

I see why they have called the video All grown up

Apparently is 11cm longer than mk3 at 4.1m

No longer a small city car that fits tight parking spaces, more a smaller Scala or Octavia.   I do wonder if Skoda is competing with some of its own models rather than taking on the small hatchback market.

But with all the extra equipment (and presumably lots of options), even the one in photo appears to have headlight washers and front and side parking sensors (blind spot and/or auto parking), could be quite a lot of money.  

Be interesting to see how it is priced, and spec’d, but you would wonder if anyone will pay £20-25k for a Fabia.  Especially as you can get an electric car for not much more.

I think they will sell very well to people buying a car as a keeper before New Type Approved cars need the new EU safety features that will be mandatory.

Just the right amount of equipment people can opt for if they want but still some physical controls and a manual parking brake.

Nothing too out there in the way of servicing and maintenance required and engines and gearboxes that should last many years.

Hopefully lane assist is as it should be and all the software stuff that Skoda seem to be having issues with in some Octavia & Superbs.

Scala & Kamiq's are there if people want a bit bigger without going as high roofed as a Karoq.

Edited by e-Roottoot

Love it, works great on cars where it works great. Not even necessary to put off in winter on roads with snow on them.

It does show you how often you might be wandering across roads or lanes as you go for sweets, radio stations, checking how far you need to go before running out of electricity.

7 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

It does show you how often you might be wandering across roads or lanes as you go for sweets, radio stations, checking how far you need to go before running out of electricity.

Never in my case. If I'm wandering it's a warning that I need a break.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, rkenny said:

The guy on the video said lane assist can be switched off with two quick button presses on the steering wheel. 

Yup (I’m the guy on the review video who’s unearthed a very old Briskoda account). It’s a case of hitting the driver assist button on the wheel then clicking the right-hand silver scroll wheel in. You have to do this each ignition cycle tho - same as on the current Octavia vRS.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, TimmyWimmyWoo said:

Yup (I’m the guy on the review video who’s unearthed a very old Briskoda account). It’s a case of hitting the driver assist button on the wheel then clicking the right-hand silver scroll wheel in. You have to do this each ignition cycle tho - same as on the current Octavia vRS.

Hi Timmy - thanks for clarifying that it is easy to switch off! I really enjoyed your video. It’s great that you are on here and have actually driven the Mk 4 - hopefully you can keep us updated if you learn more about the car. I wonder if you would help me with a few queries?

I was wondering if you managed to see/try any other versions of the Mk 4? For example the model down from the top of the range models you always seem to get to drive at launches. I ask because I wonder if the SE Comfort model would be a better choice as it probably will have the ‘simpler’ Bolero infotainment system and ordinary air con. The video linked above by vrskeith is another video done by Thomas at Autogefuel. While praising the car overall, he is a bit critical of the top-line infotainment unit and the dual zone air con because the adjustments are too awkward - for example to change the air con fan speed you have to use the screen. Also the unit still has bugs and is a bit slow to respond.  Maybe an SE Comfort model with a few extras would be a better, even safer, choice? It will be good to have a look at the UK configurator to see the detailed specs coming here when it is finally published. Thanks again for posting.

Edited by rkenny

1 hour ago, rkenny said:

for example to change the air con fan speed you have to use the screen.

That's interesting; on a 2002 car with Climatronic the only time you need to adjust the fan speed yourself is normally to (de)select demist mode.

• Haha 1