Space Saver Rim and Tyre + Tools

Good afternoon,

Firstly, thanks to some really helpful people helping me out on my first Skoda experience! Such a helpful forum, really good advice given.

I purchased  my car yesterday and it only has a pump and spray kit in case of puncture. 

I would prefer a space saver with tyre ( can be second hand - just so long as it will fit and is safe). My car has 16 inch tyres - does anyone have any great advice where a I can look for a kit? Part number or such so I can EBay it? 

As always, thank you in advance.

Ray

15 hours ago, Planetse said:

Thank you so much for this info! Is a 15 inch spare OK for a 16 inch wheel? Sorry for the nob question 😁

Edited by Raycross

Greetings, Raycross

You may be in luck.

I have a set of 4 wheels  with part worn 195x55x15 tyres that are doing battle with spiders at the back of the garage.

They have been superceded  by all weather tyres so are VERY cheap ( try me )

I believe fifteen inchers are standard full size replacements

Best of luck, but I dont believe in luck where tyres are concerned!

Hi PunyXpress,

Thank you very much - I have sent an offer to an EBay listing but if it doesn’t work out I will be in touch!

On 06/05/2021 at 10:06, Raycross said:

Thank you so much for this info! Is a 15 inch spare OK for a 16 inch wheel? Sorry for the nob question 😁

Yes if you go up a profile on the tyre it will have the same rolling circumference. So if you have 16 inch wheels and a 15 inch spare then if the tyres on the car are 215/30/16 then the spare can be 215/40/15.

• Love it! 1

9 minutes ago, MATT1 said:

Yes if you go up a profile on the tyre it will have the same rolling circumference. So if you have 16 inch wheels and a 15 inch spare then if the tyres on the car are 215/30/16 then the spare can be 215/40/15.

In reality, for a standard manufacturer supplied spare wheel, the tyre width will decrease and the aspect ratio will increase quite a bit, as the plan is just to retain the same rolling radius and cheaply provide a safe temporary spare wheel.

• Love it! 1

5 hours ago, MATT1 said:

215/30/16

Don't exist?

5 hours ago, MATT1 said:

215/40/15.

Just exist? but with a 3.18 % difference from 215 30 16 which is to much.

I think these sizes above are wrong for a Fabia III.

Try 185 60 15 on a 6'' wide rim and 215 45 16 on a 7'' wide rim.

This is with a 0.52 % difference which is good/correct.

Thanks, AG Falco

• 1 month later...

I'm glad we have this forum for information.  I tried phoning Skoda earlier to ask what spare I would need, they said a 16" one but they don't have any part numbers they can give me, try my local dealer.  So I rang the local VW dealer and asked them, they took my reg and said a 14" steel wheel.  I asked what tyre and they said maybe a 175 55 14?  I don't think either of those answers were correct. :biggrin:

5 hours ago, Eeeekkk said:

14" steel wheel.  I asked what tyre and they said maybe a 175 55 14?

If a 14'' steel wheel will fit on the car over the front brakes then it is a 175 70 14 tyre.

What wheel/tyres do you have on the car. 

Always try and see if a full size wheel/tyre will fit in the boot first.

Normal UK steel spare is a 6J x 15 with a 185 60 15 tyre.

Thanks, AG Falco

Had you been screwed or nailed. ( In the tyre. )

Did you try and see if your 16'' wheel tyre fits in your spare wheel well?

Thanks, AG Falco

Not sure which it was but it was a whopper! I didn't get round to trying it as I was short of time. Didn't get my new tyres either, cos they were sent winters instead of all seasons, so I ended up with a puncture repair to tide me over. 😀

4 hours ago, AGFalco said:

Had you been screwed or nailed. ( In the tyre. )

Did you try and see if your 16'' wheel tyre fits in your spare wheel well?

Thanks, AG Falco

The trouble with going for a full sized 16" steel spare wheel is that it might be difficult to find one within the VW Group parts listing, all 16" wheels that fit the Fabia hub will be alloys I'd think, okay it will be possible to buy one from a proper wheel supplier after checking what rim width and offset is needed to make it the same as the other alloys.

If a normal wheel / tyre fits in the boot then you could just get one to match.

I have an alloy spare which is exactly the same as the rest of the wheels in my boot. It has a 185 60 15 tyre.

The 16'' alloy wheel and tyre is no bigger in diameter, just a bit wider which will raise the boot floor a little.

Or:- This one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254959028934?epid=1034622053&hash=item3b5cbe0ac6:g:XUsAAOSwYW9giQ0i

Thanks, AG Falco

1 hour ago, AGFalco said:

Here are three 16" steel rims listed on mytyres that would fit the Fabia.

Alcar 6664 6Jx16 ET35 5/100 57.1 Steel Rim

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rims/details?vehicleId=1087670437300671588&rimCode=ALCAR6664

Alcar 6977 6Jx16 ET40 5/100 57.1 Steel Rim

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rims/details?vehicleId=1087670437300671588&rimCode=ALCAR6977

Alcar 9680 6.5Jx16 ET42 5/100 57.1 Steel Rim

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rims/details?vehicleId=180340247920546916&rimCode=ALCAR9680

Edited by Carlston

Remember if considering buying a steel wheel from mytyres, check the price for supplying that wheel fitted with the tyre of your choice, that could made more sense than buying just the tyre and getting tyres in UK.

I've used mytyres maybe 3 times, both for tyres and winter wheels fitted with tyres, no problems at all.

What!  

Brexit was meant to be brilliant in every way - and yes I believe in the tooth fairy and Santa Clause!

I wonder what the effect is when a company like Mytyres etc tended to have an office in UK as well as offices in other markets like France - Germany being home to them, I seemed to remember that their UK address was round about Oxford, but maybe that was only to give confidence to early users when they first set up.

I have avoided buy in from mainland Europe a few times since Brexit as I had read about issues and maybe even read the details covering any/all purchases - mainly I've avoided buying that way to stop uncovering "not thought of" issues post Brexit.

If you still need to get hold of one. A local breakers yard near me had a few fabias in with tyre kits, the kit itself was £45 with the jack, tools etc but not an actual wheel as I have a set of 4 16" alloys at home which I used. But worth getting used as it will save you a lot of money. Edit  Ask for the spare wheel that came out of the fabia as well as that will mean you get the right one. 

https://www.silverlake.co.uk/breakers/details/Skoda-Fabia-2015-On-Monte-Carlo-TSi-5-Door-Estate/30768

https://www.silverlake.co.uk/breakers/details/Skoda-Fabia-2015-On-SE-MPi-5-Door-Estate/28832

https://www.silverlake.co.uk/breakers/details/Skoda-Fabia-2015-On-SE-MPi-5-Door-Hatchback/29907

Here is a few links. They also ship across the country and world wide so doesnt matter where you are. 

Edited by JGrindel