Dog crate and roof rails for a 17 plate Superb MkIII Estate?

I'm looking for some advice for my friend's Dad who has just bought a 17 plate MkIII Superb Estate (I am an Octy owner). He is looking for recommendations for a dog cage/crate and roof bars - can anyone advise?

2 minutes ago, Wangarai said:

Nope, screen on back seat is held in place by a rod that attaches to the rear seat anchor point,  divider part has feet that push on floor and roof.

There is a fitting guide on the link I sent

• Like 1

I have to confess to having had mental pictures of dog crates being carried on the roof bars!

No one has replied re roof bars, but have a look on here: https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel3.php?emulate=roofbar&query=8319

I have used them and they're very helpful. Many on here recommend bars with an aerodynamic profile, but they tend to be more expensive. Probably worth going for if you leave them on the car semi-permanently.

I use Atero Signo aluminium T slot bars which I bought secondhand in 2012 for my mk II. They work fine on my mk III

• Like 1

My lab sits in her bed in the estate boot.. My jack Russell/whippet I simply chain to one of the hooks in the boot to keep her there. I can’t really see the point in all these metal bars. I’d actually say they make are probably dangerous for the dogs as they would be for humans. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ttr said:

My lab sits in her bed in the estate boot.. My jack Russell/whippet I simply chain to one of the hooks in the boot to keep her there. I can’t really see the point in all these metal bars. I’d actually say they make are probably dangerous for the dogs as they would be for humans. 

I've got a 50kg German Shepherd dog, if I was unfortunate to have an accident, I wouldn't want him flying about in the car!

• Like 1

Objects flying forward in a collision have massive potential to kill or seriously injure passengers up front; I definitely prefer my dogs to be in a cage!

+1 for the TransK9 cages. They also have an ability to lock the cage but leave the boot open which some people might find useful. 

I can also recommend the boot buddy bumper guards to stop them scratching the paint when they jump up.

1 hour ago, Patent said:

Objects flying forward in a collision have massive potential to kill or seriously injure passengers up front; I definitely prefer my dogs to be in a cage!

+1 for the TransK9 cages. They also have an ability to lock the cage but leave the boot open which some people might find useful. 

I can also recommend the boot buddy bumper guards to stop them scratching the paint when they jump up.

Not disputing your flying forward argument. The point I’m making is different strokes. If I do have an accident my lab will be lying down so will hit against the back of the back seat which I’ve also put cushions on which is much more preferable to a steel cage. If you have an upper steel cage in the boot I still think the concept of it stopping a dog flying through is a bit of an edge case but assuming it does happen wouldn’t you want it smashing against something other than steel bars?